• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

New TTC fare machines don't take bills, credit, or debit cards LOL!

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
So I have seen these automated machines on the streetcar islands on Spadina and thought it would be my solution yesterday as I did not have a token, pass or change. It turns out, however, that you need a token or change to use them to produce a ticket! They will accept no other form of payment! WTF. As well, each platform has a TTC employee being paid to stand there for the entire day to explain the various payment methods they don't accept.

Here's an thought TTC: If I had change or a token I would just use that to get on the streetcar. Holy fuck.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
that is mental sauce.

so there is a required Ticket you must get to get on the street car, you cant use the change or the token on the st car and you need to use the machine.

TTC

NOT THE BETTER WAY

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
So basically it's a coin sorting machine? How much did they pay for this? They're going to have to get whole new machines because people are going to complain.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
hahahaha you would almost feel bad for the ttc for this - unless you have to commute on it every day. wtf lol

i've been taught always to double-confirm any news on the web now...and this is so unusual it is hard to believe....still laughing!

Karim

TRIBE Member
Looks like it has a card reader slot that was filled in with plastic. Machine's manufacturer engineered it to take card payments and the TTC had to consciously disable the feature... that's dumb.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
its beyond moronic, its FUCKING RETARDED.

TTC - I know guys, lets do this. Remove the ability to pay on the car, cuz y'know thats just SMRT.

Then get this.. we buy a machine that would allow all potential riders to purchase tickets with Coin, Bill and Debit/Credit and tokens. REMOVE all the options to pay but change and tokens, and install them on one of the BUSIEST LINES IN TORONTO!!!!!

amiright???

right
right
right

Last edited:

coleridge

TRIBE Member
I can tell you the reason why the machines don't take bills, credit or debit.

Bills - It would be too difficult to keep the machines properly stocked with change throughout the day.

Credit - Too long to process the payment and they don't want to pay the vendor fee to Visa.

Debit - Too long to process the payment

These machines are designed to be automated versions of the fee boxes you have at the front of a bus or streetcar. That's it.

Am I defending them? No. I agree it's utterly ridiculous that in 2015 we don't have a better system.

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
hahahaha you would almost feel bad for the ttc for this - unless you have to commute on it every day. wtf lol

i've been taught always to double-confirm any news on the web now...and this is so unusual it is hard to believe....still laughing!
You can confirm it right on the TTC website. lol
The Future Is... (scroll to bottom)

I can tell you the reason why the machines don't take bills, credit or debit.

Bills - It would be too difficult to keep the machines properly stocked with change throughout the day.

Credit - Too long to process the payment and they don't want to pay the vendor fee to Visa.

Debit - Too long to process the payment
You don't get change back with coins either.

The vendor fee for credit and debit is a valid concern, but processing time there's gotta be ways around it. They probably need some kind of internet connection for quick processing. Should be easy to do on the curbside machines and little more difficult(but doable) on the streetcars.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
The vendor fee for credit and debit is a valid concern, but processing time there's gotta be ways around it. They probably need some kind of internet connection for quick processing. Should be easy to do on the curbside machines and little more difficult(but doable) on the streetcars.
Was just in London and they've had the Oyster Card for a decade at least now. They now offer the ability to just tap your credit card instead of even loading up an Oyster Card. So I agree, the technology is there.

Why we still haven't installed the Presto Card system on everything I don't know.

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
They should allow for tapping debit/credit cards and/or develop a wallet app and have the machine scan your bar code.

Regarding processing times, I've used some machines before where it processed my credit card tap almost instantaneously.

Edit: once Presto is in full use across TTC this should at least make things somewhat easier. You can load Presto online.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Again I mention they are paying people wearing "ASK ME A QUESTION" bibs to stand next to these machines all day in -15 weather to explain what they can't do. It is like something out of the early 70's Soviet Union.

wakipaki

TRIBE Member
a friend of mine once told me that the reason we are stuck in the 1970's is due to the union, that they will completely stop any attempt to remove ticket taker jobs. I have no idea if this is true, but this is pretty much the only thing that would make sense to me, to explain these retarded machines. Screw PRESTO as well, just do the god dam Oyter card, or NYC's system. The TTC doesn't need to invent anything, for god sakes just copy the same systems from elsewhere that are proven to work.

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
When talking about the TTC you have to remove all logic from the conversation and then and only then can you truly understand what they are doing.

But yeah ---> unions.

But history has taught us that the TTC has always been a bit off when it comes to making decisions. They did the same thing back when they had to determine what type and scale of track to use.

The tracks of Toronto's streetcars and subways are built to the unique track gauge of 4 ft 10 7⁄8 in (1,495 mm), 2 3⁄8 in (60 mm) wider than the usual standard gauge of 4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm), which the Scarborough RT uses.[28] According to Steve Munro, an expert on the history of Toronto area transit, TTC gauge is "English carriage gauge".

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
they could have put 2-4 machines, some that only process change and tokens to speed things up, another that takes all forms of payment allowing ALL people to do so with signs like....

TOKENS AND COIN ONLY

DEBIT/CREDIT/TAP/BILLS ONLY

then you dont have to pay some fucking idiot to stand there and tell you shit you already either know, or dont want to hear.

wakipaki

TRIBE Member
the fact that we have one starndard fare regardless of how far you're going makes this even easier, we could have had NYC style machines 20 years ago.

Presto, like everything the TTC does, sounds complicated and wonky. Given their complete and utter incompetence, I can't believe they wouldn't just go with something basic and simple.

Like how about, machines, that take cash/credit/debit, that you can buy a scanable piece of paper at, called a "ticket", that you then scan to get onto any form of transport. Oh, and yeah, that same scanner also accepts 'metropasses'. And if you want to get super crazy, you could even have the option of buying tickets that let you scan them 10 times, otherwise known as a "travel card".

erika

TRIBE Member
I would hardly use the NYC system as a great model to follow. Others in Europe have done it way more flexibly a long time ago. The TTC is stuck in the 70's but I wouldn't only blame the union (though it plays a part for sure): mgt there is badly entrenched.

There was av article recently about what a tough time Andy Byford has had with them.

Puma

TRIBE Member
some of you people complaining about this were vocal supporters of the currently elected government brought to you buy the unions.

this government is elected to protect the public sector unions and their standard of living at the expense of the rest of us. You people have no one to blame but your selves.