• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

New Toronto condo owners want the world to change

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I guess after spending over 300K on a 700 square foot, poorly constructed apartment, you want to lash out at the world. All those people who bought next to the slaughterhouse and pork abattoir on Niagara street that has been there for 80 years should have known better..

Now, Pier 27 waterfront condo developer guy wants the Captain John's boat/restaurant moved away from his hideous glass and drywall condo project as people will soon start moving in. Ha!

If we are going all NIMBY I think all those waterfront condos should go so the rest of us can get our view of the lake back.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
the NIMBY issue will go full tilt once talks begin about where to situate the safe injection sites in Toronto.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I think Captain Johns would also make a great pork abattoir! Imagine herds of pigs trotting along Queens Quay and up the gangplank, coming out as bacon on stern side!

kuba

TRIBE Member
How would your "view of the lake" improve by removing condos? Because you own the view? Because you have a good view from your house in the east end?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

kuba

TRIBE Member
And isn't it about time we move a slaughterhouse to an industrial area away from a residential area? What the fuck is so wrong with that idea? It's clear that 80 years ago King and Niagara wasn't a hot development zone but if the city had balls it woudl realize that allowing this would be the best for the entire community. THere's plenty of useless land in the city that coudl house this sort of property AND the owner of the land would make an absolute MINT selling it.

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
yes, just screw over the 700+ employees at the slaughter house. How about potential buyers do some research into the area they would like to move into instead of rushing out to buy off plans without doing their research and hope they can flip it. Now it's a problem? Wasn't an issue before. Kinda like the plant in Etobicoke with the fertilizer for what ever that the NIMBY's want out after 50+ years without incident.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
I lived at King and Niagara for almost a decade. It was great, and then condo after condo was built, and the whole Liberty Village ghetto, I moved out when it started taking longer to get to work then where I live now south Etobicoke.

Due to the streetcar crowding, you would have to let 5 cars go by until you could squeeze on, so instead of 20 minutes, it was a 45+ trip to Bay street. And then being packed like sardines amounts to feeling like people are constantly groping = Gross! (and too save $$ for my condo) not because of the smell. Still like the area :)

We considered buying one of the first phases after the Sudbury street towns were built. But then considered the fact since we already lived in the area, we knew paying premium for a rooftop deck was not really worth it, due to the smell issues.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kuba

TRIBE Member
yes, just screw over the 700+ employees at the slaughter house. How about potential buyers do some research into the area they would like to move into instead of rushing out to buy off plans without doing their research and hope they can flip it. Now it's a problem? Wasn't an issue before. Kinda like the plant in Etobicoke with the fertilizer for what ever that the NIMBY's want out after 50+ years without incident.
Agree with you - employees should keep their jobs - but wouldn't you rather keep your job and move to a new facility than be forced out of it like so many other workers have?

I'm not saying close the place, I'm saying sell the land, buy a new one, and everyone is happy.

I'm sure the employees can't afford to live downtown anyways so perhaps a change of venue would help some/most of their commutes?

acheron

TRIBE Member
How would your "view of the lake" improve by removing condos? Because you own the view? Because you have a good view from your house in the east end?
I want an unfettered view of the Gardiner Expressway.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I am just being a devil's advocate there Kuba. I personally liked the unfettered view of the lake while biking along Queen's Quay, or while driving along the Gardiner but that will be completely blocked soon. Instead you will be able to drive along the Gardiner and glance over to see some dude cooking his breakfast in his kitchen/living room.

Also, what do you bet these Pier 27 residents start complaining how bad the lake smells when it heats up in the summer, or the Redpath Sugar Terminal is too loud, or whatever else diminishes the enjoyment of their little expensive glass and drywall boxes.

stryker

TRIBE Member
If developers and other interested parties (like that fuckwad Brad Lamb) want the area then they should have to present whatever offer the slaughterhouse owners want, astronomical or not to buy them out if they get re-zoned.

The audacity of these assholes trying to shut it down. That slaughterhouse was there before they put in those hideous condos and still they decided to develop there and now they complain. You can't just start kicking business out because they don't fit into the hipster image being sold. If they're paying their taxes and obeying the law then they should be left alone to operate as they see fit, for as long as they choose.

Captain Johns owes 700k in back taxes. I hope they scuttle his boat.

stew

KickIT

TRIBE Member
That stretch of the Gardiner between Spadina and Fort York BLVD will become known as the gauntlet. Pretty soon condo residents on opposite sides of the Gardiner will be able to toss a frisbee to each other. It's a bit unsettling driving through that section.

God knows how the fuck they're going to resolve the ramp issues at Spadina now.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
the Gardiner can't come down. Unless they build a tunnel. And besides it won't impact your view as much as 20 condo buildings will.
Seriously. I don't think they need to take it down anyway. It did nothing for the east end except have the pollution be more closer to street level and the health consequences for people in that area skyrocketed (I was a member of the Air Quality Action Committee).

Here's an idea:

The High Line | Friends of the High Line

mingster

TRIBE Member
i've come to agree with brad lamb and his coalition on this one.

this is no longer an appropriate place for this type of business. and it simply can't be practical for them to continue in their current location anyway.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
of course its not, that is prime condo land!

how about any time a condo goes up they have to pay 5 mil right away to a protected fund for transit above and beyond all the taxes and such. think of how bad shit is going to be once all those condos are filled with ppl

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
the Gardiner can't come down. Unless they build a tunnel. And besides it won't impact your view as much as 20 condo buildings will.
The best thing for congestion and city building that Toronto could do is take down the Gardiner entirely and turn Lakeshore into more of a welcoming boulevard for pedestrians and cyclists. I used to think taking it down would cause traffic havoc, but then I educated myself about 'induced demand' and read case studies from around the world.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
are you on glue? they closed one lane of lakeshore when i was at bathurst/queens quay and it took 30 mins to get to the beer store when it used to take 5 mins. where will all the traffic go pray tell?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders