• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

new set from house pioneer

TRO

TRIBE Member
thanks for this..I'm rocking out...the disco tune with the japanese(I think) lyrics is tight (25 minutes in?) I heard this before but I cannot remember

also

42 minutes in....heavy early tribal stuff

octo

TRIBE Member
i wish someone would bring this guy

it's too bad this city doesn't have an appropriate size venue with the needed soundsystem

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Time

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by octo
i wish someone would bring this guy
i know he almost made it here a few years ago for - i can't remember the name of the - festival. he was advertised on the flyer, but something happened and he couldn't make it.

wasn't there another attempt by the same promomter to bring him here just over a year ago to - the club on Dundas west of Ossington that i think starts with an 'R' - as well.

*can you tell i just woke up a few minutes ago! :D
the memory sensors haven't kicked in yet!

TRO

TRIBE Member
I think he's just dropping a hint to a certin night club that would have an appropriate sized venue with an apropriate sized soundsystem

but I could be wrong

moving on...I do't know if he still tours?

octo

TRIBE Member
I'm not sure how well a David Mancuso set would go over at Boa.
It's really nice to see such positive reviews for last couple of Chemistry Deep events but his no mxing style might throw the crowd for a loop.

The venue might need to be a little smaller too.

I think Revival or Mod Club would work in terms of size, but in terms of sound, this guy is really picky.

why not

TRIBE Member
a couple years back jhames lee (aka mondo urbano) tried to bring him to town.
originally it was supposed to be in a warehouse space (that's what Mancuso likes), but got switched to Revival (bad idea sound wise).
Mancuso ends up cancelling at the last minute, and there was some kind of lawsuit apparently.

basically, from what Mancuso told me, if he's going to play outside of NYC, he wants to work with a promoter who's willing to make it as much like the real Loft as possible. he will tell you what sound system he wants, and how it should be set up. it's not really a club style system, more like a beefed up audiophile system. he will tell you to order a bunch of helium balloons (good for acoustics, and a cute decoration). he doesn't like to play bars, or for there even to be alcohol (he's from the LSD in the punch era).

so long story short, it would be very hard to pull off in toronto, unless you're really dedicated, and have a good reputation within the deep house/garage scene.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

octo

TRIBE Member
I'm curious to know what mixer/amp/speaker combo he would like.

If there's no booze, I'll drink acid-laced punch.

why not

TRIBE Member
i'm pretty sure the acid punch hasn't been brought out since the seventies, but i guess you could bring your own.

octo

TRIBE Member
here's the list

Reasons to be Cheerful, Pt.3 / Ian Dury & the Blockheads / Stiff records
Mother Africa / NY tribulation / Slaag records
Revitalized / Babara Jackson / Stride Records
Joy / Yuki / King Street Sounds
Shianne / Antonio Ocassio / Tribal Winds
Dragon Balls / Flying Rhythms / Lustrum
So Glad You Could Make It / Archie Bell / CBS

looks like he's going to be doing a monthly show

why not

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by octo
I'm curious to know what mixer/amp/speaker combo he would like.

here's a little bit of info - http://www.theloftnyc.com/ap.html

i'll look for some more detailed information soon. he doesn't usually use a mixer these days (i think there's basically a switch) - it's more about the quality of the cartridge and the rest of the setup.

explore the rest of the www.theloftnyc.com site - it's pretty fucked, but gives you an idea of what he's about.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

octo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by why not
i'm pretty sure the acid punch hasn't been brought out since the seventies, but i guess you could bring your own.
I was hoping for the authentic styles experience :D

why not

TRIBE Member
here's some photos from some recent Loft events in London (not mine).

and some copy and paste from him about the gear used for these events.

posted by david mancuso:

see: theloftnyc.com and go to loft audio papers for speaker arrangements and etc.

The Loft Party U.K. Sound Notes 2/11/03 at The Light

(1) The stereo signal goes from the turntable into the urei. Then from the urei into the Klark Teknik DN360 EQ. Out of the EQ into the Midas XL88 Routing Matrix where it is split into 5 signals. Left Signal 1 goes to the Amplifier on top of front left stack. Left signal 2 goes to the Amplifier on top of rear left stack. Signal 3 is a mix of left & right this goes to the Amplifier on top of the rear centre stack. Right signal 4 goes to the Amplifier on top of the rear right stack. Right signal 5 goes to the Amplifier on top of the front right stack.

(2) All Mains to come from 1 source. In the Light this is under the venues Decks.

(3) The Room was E’qued by using an SM58 microphone & Mickey’s ear & a Klark Teknik DN360 one Third of an octave E.Q. this worked.

(4) When setting DB levels for each speaker stack David used his realistic digital DB meter set to C weighted & slow. Pink noise was sent through Aux 1 on the Urei mixer. The master volume on the mixer was set to 5 & the Aux 1 volume was set to 5 also. The next time we would like to try & give more head room to the mixer as we believe that the less volume we need to get from the mixer the cleaner the signal will be. David set required DB levels for each stack to his specifications.

(5) Stacks 1 & 5 (far left and far right- side channels) had a mono delay of 25ms. This was done on an Eventide H3000 we used a dual delay. Mickey needs to check that both left & right delays are set individually next time.

(6) Each stack was placed 20ft apart from each other, except for the front 2 stacks they are 40ft apart from each other.

(7) The decks were set up on 2 plinths constructed from cinder blocks with a concrete slab with 4 squash balls 1 on each corner. The Urei was also on a plinth of cinder blocks. When tested there was no 50hz feedback from the decks. David used his deck spirit level to make sure the decks were flat. David also set the anti skate on the decks & the arm weights. Rolph checked the stylus overhang on the Technic headshell with a Technic tool.

(8) At Tim’s on monday night David said it would be a good idea not to have the right hand stacks so close to the right hand wall as this affected the balance of the system. If we move the whole system 2ft away from the right wall this should improve the balance. There was also a pillar on the left hand side obstructing the front left stack which affected the Mid/Hi David could hear by moving the whole system we would also sort this problem as well.

The Loft Party UK Sound Log 29/2/04 at The Light /Changes

(1) Stacks 1 & 5. We are now using 2 mono Yamaha DDL3 digital delays

(2) All the stacks were moved to the left by 2ft to improve the balance of the system & aviod any pillars obstructing what David hears.

(3) David used Linn Adikt Cartridges weighted at 2.2 grams on Technics SL1210’s

(4) Mickey done anti skating for David on the turntables

(5) Mickey & Rolph used a Klark Teknik DN6000 RTA this time.

The Loft Party UK Sound Log

20/6/04 at The Light / Changes

(1) Linn Adikt Cartridges weighted at 1.8 grams on Technics SL1210’s

(2) Master volume on Urei mixer was on 6.5. Phono 1 & 2 volumes were between 0 & 10,
David said this was sufficient.

(3) Delay stacks were moved 2 feet towards david, this worked well without changing the delay times.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
ummmmmmm

and I don't mean to say that I know anything more than dave about this stuff but from reading that and looking at the pictures it seems like that with the low height of the speakers and the way they route the stereo signal they are tuning it to an empty room and forgetting one major factor: a room full of bodies.

It just seems to me the only way to truly appreciate the effectiveness of that set up is to be directly in the middle of the room with nobody else there.

why not

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Wiseman
ummmmmmm

and I don't mean to say that I know anything more than dave about this stuff but from reading that and looking at the pictures it seems like that with the low height of the speakers and the way they route the stereo signal they are tuning it to an empty room and forgetting one major factor: a room full of bodies.

It just seems to me the only way to truly appreciate the effectiveness of that set up is to be directly in the middle of the room with nobody else there.
the stacks are actually quite tall, so they would give good coverage to the room, which isn't huge anyway.

because of the angle, it looks shorter than it is in this pic, but you get an idea.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories