• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

New RBC Ad.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Looks like the new RBC corporate look is:

stressed out employees like to break all sorts of shit while giving you your interview then trying to rip a dog in half..

WTF how does this even get past the focus group

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
holy fuck when I saw that dude break that laptop in half... My heart shattered in pieces.

furniture,small children,trees who cares?

NOT THE LAPTOP DUDE

:mad:

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

RELEASE RECORDS

TRIBE Promoter
JamesM said:
Looks like the new RBC corporate look is:

stressed out employees like to break all sorts of shit while giving you your interview then trying to rip a dog in half..

WTF how does this even get past the focus group
the fact your talking about it proves its effectiveness. most people cant remember a single ad theyve seen all day yet they are bombarded with them all day, every day.

jerome @ relese

bitchass

TRIBE Member
I was signing some stuff at Scotiabank on Saturday and when I asked "is this the point in our meeting when I flip your desk in celebration?" I didn't get the responce I was hoping for.

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
RELEASE RECORDS said:
the fact your talking about it proves its effectiveness. most people cant remember a single ad theyve seen all day yet they are bombarded with them all day, every day.

jerome @ relese

yes but there's such a thing as NEGATIVE publicity. you're missing the point. 'our bankers are sick assholes who will cut a puppy in 2!' not a message that you really want coming from a bank possibly?

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
RELEASE RECORDS said:
not really...its all publicity. & in this case, it works.

besides, this is the exact point of the ad...dont u see that?

jerome @ release
what is the exact point of the ad? to show bankers as psychos?

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
Beer babe said:
what is the exact point of the ad? to show bankers as psychos?
To get you to mention it on a message board that is seen by thousands and thousands of people. It's really not much different than the 'Snakes on A Plane' meme (though that one was unintentional, I think).

*I was really trying not to use the term 'viral media' in this post.

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
Flashy_McFlash said:
To get you to mention it on a message board that is seen by thousands and thousands of people. It's really not much different than the 'Snakes on A Plane' meme (though that one was unintentional, I think).

*I was really trying not to use the term 'viral media' in this post.
agreed it got my attention...but something like this is not really drawing favourable attention. there's the kind of ad that will have you talking or laughing about it and that's the kind of attention that will boost sales to that product. but when you're left thinking that your royal bank rep is seedy enough to want to cut his customer's puppy in 2....i'm thinkin' the attention RBC is getting is not the kind they want. just my opinion.

123fakest

TRIBE Member
This ad threw me off. It may be memorable but I think the message is confusing at the end with the dog. RBC's whole "First for Canadians" theme works as the bank employees will do anything including chopping a desk in half to help Canadians understand their mortgage. But killing a dog? That just doesn't make any sense and doesn't follow the company's Brand.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
I don't think that anyone - outside of the hopelessly delusional - actually believes that their financial advisor is going to saw their puppy in half. Unless your advisor is LivingRoomDan, of course, in which case it's a legitimate fear.

This brand of dark humour is exactly the kind of thing that gets people talking. I mean, one bank is more or less the same as the next in terms of the services they offer, so if they can get you thinking about Royal, that's good enough.

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
Nobody reads into them as deep as you guys are. Also, no one is retarded enough to think "Omg, that guy wanted to break a dog in half on the commercial! ALL RBC employees must be like that! I'm not going there!"

The commercial was all about "comic relief" and memorability.

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
Michlerish said:
Nobody reads into them as deep as you guys are. Also, no one is retarded enough to think "Omg, that guy wanted to break a dog in half on the commercial! ALL RBC employees must be like that! I'm not going there!"

The commercial was all about "comic relief" and memorability.
of course no one believes it would actually happen that's not the point. i just mean that i don't think the ad was necessarily gaining any respect on the bank's end. it wasn't something i really found comical but more on the creepy side.

m0ff

TRIBE Member
Beer babe said:
hahaha, okay on that note i'd like to withdraw my funds please :p :p
Okay okay...the puppy will be spared.
However, I can not be held responsible for going "Office Space" on some select office equipment.

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
Beer babe said:
of course no one believes it would actually happen that's not the point. i just mean that i don't think the ad was necessarily gaining any respect on the bank's end. it wasn't something i really found comical but more on the creepy side.

How many bank commercials do you watch and then end up thinking about afterwards, saying to yourself "Hm, I respect them more now" or "Perhaps I will switch all my accounts to TD now because that commercial brought up some good points".

The point of this ad is so that it sticks in your brain. You remember the guy breaking things in half, you think "what was that about again? Oh yeah! Half and half mortgages!" or like, 2 years down the road when you're considering mortgages, you turn to your friend and say "remember that commercial where the guy breaks stuff in half to demonstrate a split mortgage? what bank was that?"

m0ff

TRIBE Member
I'm still partial to the Capital One commerical...Hands in my Pocket, Hands in my Pocket, Hands in my Pocket....technics1200

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories