• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

New Orleans....

tobywan

TRIBE Member
Katrina's gonna be a bitch...

Just saw this latest image of Hurricane Katrina moving through the gulf of mexico...after plowing through Florida, she's on a path for Louisiana.

Now a full-on category 5 hurricane, with winds up to 257 km/h...jebus. Doesn't help that New Orleans sits below sea level.

Adam

TRIBE Member
Agreed. All that death and devastation better not make for a rainy monday morning for us.

tobywan

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Adam
Agreed. All that death and devastation better not make for a rainy monday morning for us.
Nice one Adam...;)

But really...as nice and sunny and warm as the soutern climate is...I would much rather deal with our winters here in Toronto, then have to deal with massive storms in the gulf...having to be forced out of your home, leaving the area, and not knowing what you'll be going back to would take it's toll, and just not worth it.

Adam

TRIBE Member
Some meteorologists this morning estimated that if it remains a Category 5 when it hits land, New Orleans could potentially be flooded with water levels that would take 6 months to recede.
(Since it'is below sea level and is surrounded by large bodies of water on all sides.)

In which case, Mardi Gras is really going to suck this year.

Old Yeller

TRIBE Member
this could turn out to be the deadliest and most damaging hurricane to hit North America in ages.

good luck to all in New Orleans etc.

koojmak

TRIBE Member
if this hits as bad as it could new orleans is so fscked.....saying it would take MONTHS to get the water pumped out....gah!!!

nusty

TRIBE Member
my dad is currently at our place in Raceland LA. (35 miles south of New Orleans)
I just got word the storm shutters are back on the house and he's packing to get the hell out there asap.

solgrabber

TRIBE Member
i am moving down south in a few weeks for good to the bahamas. storms like this one are a part of life and like our winters here you never get quite used to them but learn to deal with them instead. i have lived in toronto for almost all my 28 years but i have to admit the weather here blows big time. if it was not for the heat wave this summer we would have had written off this summer also.

i rather have sunny days, hot weather, never ending miles of beach and the ocean over a crappy couple months of summer filled with city pollution any day. looking forward to summer here in toronto after our long winters makes it better but i hardly call it good weather. we might really get a good 2 weeks worth of days in all when you think about it. if you can put up with canadian winters then you can deal with storms the size of florida.

lates,

solgrabber

TRIBE Member
uh, you can't even compare them.
true, how many people die due to bad driving conditions in this city alone each year?

the bahamas was also hit the worst last year from the last major hurricane. after a good three days of pounding down on my home the best it could do was tear 2 shingles off my roof. aside from having to start over on the garden i'd say our canadian winters are a lot worse then a huge storm, even if its a cat 5.