1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

New Orleans....

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by tobywan, Aug 28, 2005.

1. tobywan

tobywan TRIBE Member

Katrina's gonna be a bitch...

Just saw this latest image of Hurricane Katrina moving through the gulf of mexico...after plowing through Florida, she's on a path for Louisiana.

[​IMG]

Now a full-on category 5 hurricane, with winds up to 257 km/h...jebus. Doesn't help that New Orleans sits below sea level.

2. Aleks

Aleks TRIBE Member

dayum, i hope ths doesn't translate into shite weather up here in T.O....

3. Adam

Adam TRIBE Member

Agreed. All that death and devastation better not make for a rainy monday morning for us.

4. tobywan

tobywan TRIBE Member

Nice one Adam...;)

But really...as nice and sunny and warm as the soutern climate is...I would much rather deal with our winters here in Toronto, then have to deal with massive storms in the gulf...having to be forced out of your home, leaving the area, and not knowing what you'll be going back to would take it's toll, and just not worth it.

5. afterglow

afterglow TRIBE Member

holy shit.

6. Adam

Adam TRIBE Member

Some meteorologists this morning estimated that if it remains a Category 5 when it hits land, New Orleans could potentially be flooded with water levels that would take 6 months to recede.
    (Since it'is below sea level and is surrounded by large bodies of water on all sides.)

In which case, Mardi Gras is really going to suck this year.

7. Old Yeller

Old Yeller TRIBE Member

this could turn out to be the deadliest and most damaging hurricane to hit North America in ages.

good luck to all in New Orleans etc.

8. afterglow

afterglow TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

that is one big storm.

9. Stormshadow

Stormshadow TRIBE Member

What!?

I've never seen a hurricane that big before!
    It's the entire size of Florida.

10. koojmak

koojmak TRIBE Member

sweet jebus!! it's half the whole gulf....

11. geminigirl

geminigirl TRIBE Member

Holy shit!!

I am so scared for the people it is gonna hit.:(

12. koojmak

koojmak TRIBE Member

if this hits as bad as it could new orleans is so fscked.....saying it would take MONTHS to get the water pumped out....gah!!!

13. I_bRAD

I_bRAD TRIBE Member

I blame the terrorists.

14. nusty

nusty TRIBE Member

my dad is currently at our place in Raceland LA. (35 miles south of New Orleans)
    I just got word the storm shutters are back on the house and he's packing to get the hell out there asap.

15. solgrabber

solgrabber TRIBE Member

i am moving down south in a few weeks for good to the bahamas. storms like this one are a part of life and like our winters here you never get quite used to them but learn to deal with them instead. i have lived in toronto for almost all my 28 years but i have to admit the weather here blows big time. if it was not for the heat wave this summer we would have had written off this summer also.

i rather have sunny days, hot weather, never ending miles of beach and the ocean over a crappy couple months of summer filled with city pollution any day. looking forward to summer here in toronto after our long winters makes it better but i hardly call it good weather. we might really get a good 2 weeks worth of days in all when you think about it. if you can put up with canadian winters then you can deal with storms the size of florida.

lates,

16. atomic

atomic TRIBE Member

uh, you can't even compare them.

17. graham

graham Well-Known TRIBEr

they're fucked, but it's good television, so it's worth it

18. afterglow

afterglow TRIBE Member

last time i checked our winters here (in Toronto) didn't flood, kill, blow down houses, etc...

19. lol

But so true.

Can't wait to see the news correspondents reporting live from the hurricane.

20. squirrely

squirrely TRIBE Member

that's pretty much exactly how i feel about war.

21. graham

graham Well-Known TRIBEr

that's the best, where is anderson cooper ?

22. It's Geraldo who's the real attraction, one day that toupée of his is going to be blown off.

23. solgrabber

solgrabber TRIBE Member

true, how many people die due to bad driving conditions in this city alone each year?

the bahamas was also hit the worst last year from the last major hurricane. after a good three days of pounding down on my home the best it could do was tear 2 shingles off my roof. aside from having to start over on the garden i'd say our canadian winters are a lot worse then a huge storm, even if its a cat 5.

24. graham

graham Well-Known TRIBEr

it's totally true until you die

25. squirrely

squirrely TRIBE Member

you're kidding, right?