• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

New Macbook Pro Coming?

The Peej

TRIBE Member
It's called a Pentalobe TS1. amazon among others sell them for anything between $3 and $12.
Oh, I know all of that. But who's used one that cost $3-12 that HASN'T stripped out immediately?

TRO, sorry to hijack your thread. Please post photos of your new super computer as soon as you get it!

:D

Last edited:

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
Oh, I know all of that. But who's used one that cost $3-12 that HASN'T stripped out immediately?
Haven't had a problem with ours yet.

BTW refurb models aren't all sunshine and kisses. I've personally returned 3 refurb laptops to Apple due to a variety of issues, its not a fun process.

I think Ivy Bridge is a pretty big leap forward. Going from a 32nm to a 22nm die and a completely different transistor technology with greatly enhanced video technology.

While you can probably get a similar clock speed with an older Sandy Bridge based model (IB is only a 5-15% increase in CPU). The integrated video card is said to perform ~50% better than the previous model.

Above all else Ivy Bridge will be about getting more performance out of your battery as the 3D transistor tech is supposed to use 50% less power then the 2D planar transistor equivalent.

The Peej

TRIBE Member
Haven't had a problem with ours yet.

BTW refurb models aren't all sunshine and kisses. I've personally returned 3 refurb laptops to Apple due to a variety of issues, its not a fun process.

I think Ivy Bridge is a pretty big leap forward. Going from a 32nm to a 22nm die and a completely different transistor technology with greatly enhanced video technology.

While you can probably get a similar clock speed with an older Sandy Bridge based model (IB is only a 5-15% increase in CPU). The integrated video card is said to perform ~50% better than the previous model.

Above all else Ivy Bridge will be about getting more performance out of your battery as the 3D transistor tech is supposed to use 50% less power then the 2D planar transistor equivalent.

The OP uses a G4 Powermac! Single core >1Ghz with under a gig of RAM!

He could buy a 2Ghz Pro 2 Duo MacBook Air with 4 Gigsworth of RAM and a SSD and be fucking STOKED for the next 3 years with how impossibly blazing fast it is.

:p

Most people don't need a $3000 Ivy Bridge setup for e-mail, word processing, photo storing, movie watching. A MacBook Air boots in 7 seconds and will span to a monitor larger than any HDTV... Who needs 50% more integrated graphics if they aren't rendering 3D or cutting long HD video?!

Oh GAWD I could have this conversation all day. Who wants to go to the Mac store with me & argue about tech specs?

;) ch33se :p :p

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
While I enjoy your enthusiasm, your point is lost in your hubris.

We have no idea what TRO is doing with his next computer. Nor do we know how long he plans to have it or why he would want to upgrade from his patently awesome G4.

Nor do we think or know anything about the pricing of a consumer grade Ivy Bridge setup, however its more than likely going to be priced the same as any other Macbook has been priced on introduction in the last 5 to 7 years. Far below your $3000 number.

Your final point is also lost on me. Why wouldn't the MBA get an upgrade to Ivy Bridge exactly? They already run Sandy Bridge procs in the MBA.

baconpan

The Peej

TRIBE Member
^So you're saying I'm too excited to be taken seriously? ;)

Point summary: If budget is a concern for the OP, waiting for the current gen MacBook to be discounted by virtue of a new model launch, is a great money saving strategy. And making the assumption that he's not a "power user" who will quickly outgrow the performance stats of the current gen. A reasonable assumption given that his only stated reason for upgrade was lack of basic software support, and not production needs that outweigh performance capabilities.

I'm off to the Apple Store today to kick tires with a friend of mine who's upgrading from her 2006 white macbook. She'll also be blown away by what's on the shelves these days!

videotronic

TRIBE Member
I've found that since the high rez screen came out on the 15" less and less people have bought 17s...the estimated sales numbers i have seen for them have been pretty thin.

the high end 15" has very similar desktop real estate, with the same GPU and less pixels to push...

kyfe

TRIBE Member
so I have been having problems with my 2011 MBP, after a RAM swap back to original and a logic board replacement, the problem still kept recurring.

Today I bring it in and they gave me a brand new laptop, I was shocked

Kalemic

TRIBE Promoter
Has anyone been by the Apple store? I'd like to know if the new laptops are in to go and check them out.

DJ Vuvu Zela

TRIBE Member
i'm worried about how hot the new retina MBP will get. right now any video playing on my 2010 MBP turns it into a furnace. With that many more pixels to manage i hope the new retina MBPs don't go nuclear.

videotronic

TRIBE Member
its a completely new fan design from what I've seen. i am ordering one probably today. went to see them at the eaton centre on sunday and was completely and utterly blown away

SolChild

TRIBE Promoter
its a completely new fan design from what I've seen. i am ordering one probably today. went to see them at the eaton centre on sunday and was completely and utterly blown away
Youd better order it the way you want it since you wont be able to upgrade the RAM or the HD on it because they are soldered onto the Motherboard.
I just bought a Late 2011 MacBook Pro.

iFixit tears down the new Retina MacBook Pro, calls it ‘least repairable laptop’ yet | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

It is very sexy though.

Last edited:

videotronic

TRIBE Member
you'll be waiting alright. when yours shows up I'm going to keep it for myself and give you mine when it shows 2 weeks later haha

acheron

TRIBE Member
here's some dude playing Skyrim on the Retina... 1920 reso on Ultra settings using Boot Camp and Windows 7.

videotronic

TRIBE Member
Windows 7 Tested on Retina Display MacBook Pro: How Good Is It?

Windows 7 doesn’t just look good on the new MacBook Pro ($2,199) – it outperforms the competition in almost every category. For comparison, we looked at the 15-inch Acer Aspire Timeline Ultra M3 ($1,031), MSI GT60 ($1,499) and Samsung Series 7 Gamer ($1,899).

On PCMark07, a synthetic benchmark that measures overall performance, the MacBook Pro and its 2.3-GHz quad-core Ivy Bridge Core i7 CPU, 8GB of 1600 MHz RAM and 256GB SSD racked up a score of 4,779, more than 2,000 points higher than the average mainstream notebook (2,429) and 1,000 points higher than the Acer Aspire Timeline Ultra M3 (1.7-GHz Ivy Bridge Core i7 CPU, 4GB of RAM and 256GB SSD).

The MSI GT60 gaming notebook (2.3-GHz Ivy Bridge Core i7 CPU, 12GB of RAM and dual 500GB 7,200-rpm HDDs) notched 3,336 on the same test, while the Samsung Series 7 Gamer (2.3-GHz Ivy Bridge Core i7 CPU, 16GB of RAM and dual 750GB, 7,200-rpm HDDs with 8GB of Express Cache) notched a score of 3,611. In other words, the MacBook Pro beats them all.

Copying 4.97GB of mixed media files proved to be a snap for the MacBook Pro as well. Its 256GB SSD achieved an ultra-fast file transfer speed of 196 MBps — much faster than the category average (34.7 MBps). Even the Acer Aspire Timeline Ultra M3, with its transfer rate of 164 MBps, couldn’t match the new MacBook Pro. The MSI GT60 and Samsung Series 7 Gamer, which use dual 7,200-rpm hard drives, clocked in at just 74.8 and 33.3 MBps, respectively.

On the OpenOffice Spreadsheet test, the MacBook Pro matched 20,000 names and addresses in 4 minutes and 35 seconds, more than a full minute faster than the Acer, and almost two minutes ahead of the mainstream notebook average. The MSI GT60 just managed to squeak by the MacBook Pro, completing the spreadsheet test in 4 minutes and 26 seconds.

At 36 seconds the MacBook Pro doesn’t boot as quickly into Windows 7 as the Acer Aspire Timeline Ultra M3 (0:23). But the extra time is almost certainly due to the fact that the machine must first examine the partition before launching Windows. On OS X, the MacBook Pro boots into the operating system in a cool 15 seconds. The MSI GT60 and Samsung Series 7 Gamer, which lack flash memory, booted Windows in 53 and 42 seconds, respectively.
We should note, also, that the MacBook Pro generates a tremendous amount of heat when trying to play high-end games — we measured a temperature of 79 degrees Fahrenheit on the touchpad, 100 degrees on the underside and 108 degrees between the G and H keys after 3 consecutive attempts to run the benchmark in “Arkham City” on its highest settings. We consider anything above 95 degrees to be uncomfortable.

Even when playing streaming video on Hulu.com for 15 minutes, the MacBook Pro didn’t get much cooler, registering 82 degrees on the touchpad, 95 degrees on the underside and 105 degrees between the G and H keys.
wowsers