• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

New Kardinal track? Help!

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
I was listening to DJ Starting From Scratch last week, between 5 and 6pm, on Flow 93.5. He played this Kardi track with a chick singing most of the lines... I thought it sounded like a remix, but then the anouncer said something like "Whoa, he just threw down that new Kardi track, that was hot".

I just downloaded Fire & Glory and Kill Bloodclot Bill Vol 1, it's not on those. I vaguely remember the words that Kardi was saying, he had like, two verses that he repeated, they involved "sunday... sleeping in.... hear the sirens but I'm not running".

Sorry this is so vague, I thought the track would be easy to find... but it's not! Does Kardi have a new track out that I don't know about?!??

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
Yeah, I already checked the top 20... Feel Alright isn't it, but since I remember the lyrics so vaguely, it could very well be a remix of that song. There was a girl singing two huge verses, and the main chorus.

I'm gonna look for remixes now.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
Kardinal opposed rappers who played guitar or do other 'non hip hop' things to get known in canada, and he even smashed a guitar on stage im pretty sure that was directed at another t.o. artist, but wait. isnt he currently teaming up with a rock band or something? yeah dude the whole VJ search was really hip hop...:rolleyes:

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

zoo

TRIBE Member
kardinal is indeed garbage

good job ripping off arrested development for your biggest 'hit' ..

sadly i still know almost all the words to 'on wit da show'

SRM

TRIBE Member
sure he is-
what you don't know that yet?

like buddy said-arrested development done that tune already!

and the weakest part is how he changed it to 'eveyrday rude boy', which makes even more shittier!!

zoo

TRIBE Member
yeah changing 'people' to 'rude boy' is just pure disrespect to a classic (and serious) tune

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
zoo said:
kardinal is indeed garbage

good job ripping off arrested development for your biggest 'hit' ..

sadly i still know almost all the words to 'on wit da show'
Not to be too picky, but Arrested Development ripped it off Sly & the Family Stone, who'd made it a hit 25 years earlier. AD "modernized it", but the reason the song was successful was because of the hook and the message, both of which were directly ganked from the original.

AD weren't the first ones to make the song their own, some of the more popular, and true-to-heart, covers have been done by artists as wide ranging as Aretha Franklin and Pearl Jam.

The problem I have with Kardinall's version , and perhaps I'm misreading the lyrics, is that the message that humanity should think of itself as 'one' people was lost.

That being said, I still have crazy respect for Kardinal. His spat with K-os was a little on the dim side, but you can't discount what he's done for the scene here.

AshG

Rude1_247 said:
Not to be too picky, but Arrested Development ripped it off Sly & the Family Stone, who'd made it a hit 25 years earlier. AD "modernized it", but the reason the song was successful was because of the hook and the message, both of which were directly ganked from the original.

AD weren't the first ones to make the song their own, some of the more popular, and true-to-heart, covers have been done by artists as wide ranging as Aretha Franklin and Pearl Jam.

The problem I have with Kardinall's version , and perhaps I'm misreading the lyrics, is that the message that humanity should think of itself as 'one' people was lost.

That being said, I still have crazy respect for Kardinal. His spat with K-os was a little on the dim side, but you can't discount what he's done for the scene here.
exactly - its a rip of a rip.

hey man, check yer pms.

zoo

TRIBE Member
i didn't know AD didn't do it first, thanks, i'll try to track down the original and other covers

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
Brings to bare another issue altogether though: where is the line drawn in hip-hop between sample-based creativity and outright plaigerism? The history of the music has always been based on sampling culture, so why is it taboo to sample from *within* hip-hop? In my mind, hip-hop should take a page out of dancehall, share the riddim, let the selecta work it out.

There have been a lot of examples in the last 10 years within hip-hop where beats have been outright copied from another track, some of them successfully, some of them not. One of the ones that comes to mind immediately, which coincidentally involves Kardi as well, was the sample used for the "Northern Touch" track which also ended up in DMX's "Get at Me Dawg", almost beat-for-beat. Both songs blew up and gave a huge lift to the careers of the respective artists.

As another interesting aside, the hook for Northern Touch was originally supposed to be performed by K-Os and Jully Black, who both cancelled at the last minute... only THEN was Kardinall asked to be on the track. Perhaps that's part of the reason Kardi and K-os have so much beef.

Another example was when Jay-Z nabbed a Nas line from "The World is Yours" and put it in Dead Presidents. Nobody was offended that Jay-Z sampled Lonnie Liston Smith's "Dreams of Tomorrow" for the track, but it was all over the hip-hop press that Jay-z had sampled ONE line from Nas.

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
Don't forget J-Lo stealing both Craig Mack's "Flava In Ya Ear" and The Beatnuts "Watch Out Now" beats for 2 of her "hits".....

(Aint' It Funny and Jenny From The Block respectively)

And her "Get Right" beat was originally a B-Side for an Usher tune if I remember correctly.

But then the question is asked....when is it the artist's fault and when does the producer get blamed?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

SRM

TRIBE Member
I know Arrested Development bit that tune......my whole point was that Kardinal's version really sucks shit.

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
Eclectic said:
Don't forget J-Lo stealing both Craig Mack's "Flava In Ya Ear" and The Beatnuts "Watch Out Now" beats for 2 of her "hits".....

(Aint' It Funny and Jenny From The Block respectively)

And her "Get Right" beat was originally a B-Side for an Usher tune if I remember correctly.

But then the question is asked....when is it the artist's fault and when does the producer get blamed?
I believe she got the rights for the craig mack track, but the Beatnuts never liscensed the sample and were pissed right off when they heard that she'd nabbed it for one of her top hits.

Timbaland & Magoo and Busta Rhymes both used the same Knight Rider sample for their respective hits, but it didn't seem to be a big deal at the time.

I think, though, that the Kardi track is the first cover-thats-not-a-cover song I've ever heard of in hip-hop. Can't think of another song that not only ganks the track, but ganks the lyrical flow and improv moments.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
Sal De Ban said:
Kardinal opposed rappers who played guitar or do other 'non hip hop' things to get known in canada, and he even smashed a guitar on stage im pretty sure that was directed at another t.o. artist, but wait. isnt he currently teaming up with a rock band or something? yeah dude the whole VJ search was really hip hop...:rolleyes:
Didn't K-OS and Kardi squash that beef and are working on a track, perhaps for K-Os's new album? I haven't heard anything about a rock band, but K-OS is doing some work with Sam Roberts.

As much as one may or may not like Kardi as a musician, the man has really gone out of his way to push Canadian hip-hop artists in interviews and otherwise.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
ok i do agree with you. plus i cant wait to hear k-os and feist to a track so how much can i really argue/\/\/\/\=====

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories