• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

New iRiver H320

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
wow.
iPod's now officially, completely suck.

Not that they didn't already.

$400 and no colour screen?
what were they thinking?
$100 gets you a Gameboy with full colour.
:p

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Tearer

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by juice
I'm going to be grabbing one of these as well. It'll be good for the car. I've had two ipods now and it's time for a switch.

haha, that's awesome. The iHP120 is really good for the car, I only need to charge it up once a week, and I have my entire music collection streaming through the tape deck, loud and clear. The tree library is even pretty simple to use when you're driving manual. :p

So much for having a 6 disc cd changer...boo

ian

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Subsonic Chronic
What's a decent price to pay for an iRiver iHP-120?

There was a very timely ad at the bottom of the thread for iRivers, and one is listed for $353.06 CDN, which doesn't sound bad if it were the total cost, however it's from a vendor in the U.S. which means getting dinged with shipping, duty, "brokerage fees" and who know what other bullshit. The only Canadian vendor on the list wants over $100 more ($462).

http://ca.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=1529219&found=1

Is eBay a better bet for this? All the extra fees when purchasing from the U.S. make it extremely undesireable to buy big ticket items even though the initial cost is a lot less.

Pete

I paid $499 plus tax at Radio Shack a few months back.

db

TRIBE Member
Yeah, Best Buy and Futureshop were both selling the iHP-120 for $499 CAD back in July as well. I've seen it as low as $460 at Futureshop recently...

deep

TRIBE Member
any of you jukebox owners got one of those fm transmitters? Apple makes them for their ipods but there are third party offerings that do the same thing. Plugins into your jukebox and broadcasts onto an FM channel , so no wires or adapters to connect your jukebox to your car stereo.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Dirt Dawg

TRIBE Member
We used the monster ipod transmitter... no problems with it in the car holding it.

it was good enough to transmit to the other car in the convoy too... just had to stay tight to the lead car...

it was awesome! add to it a pair of 2 way radios and it made the trip to PEI awesome....talked alot of shit between the cars. no need to pick up a cell for anything.

Big up the radio adapter... oh and it's more clear and louder than the casette piece of shit.

Lurker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Dirt Dawg

Big up the radio adapter... oh and it's more clear and louder than the casette piece of shit.

I didn't even bother with the shitty cassette adapter. I don't even have a head unit. I just run a dual RCA cable from my amp to my iRiver and that's it.

Fuck the tape deck in the ear.

Anyone want a head unit and 10 disc changer for cheap??? $150????

Paul

gasper

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep
how's the sound quality? any issues i.e. bleeding from "real" fm stations?

The sound through FM is decent. Less hiss than cassette for sure. On my transmitter, there's a fine tuning knob so you can pinpoint the frequency so it sounds clear. Unfortunately, I won't be able to use it when I get back b/c Japan radio uses a frequency range around 76MHz (below Canada's 81MHz).

deep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by gasper
The sound through FM is decent. Less hiss than cassette for sure. On my transmitter, there's a fine tuning knob so you can pinpoint the frequency so it sounds clear. Unfortunately, I won't be able to use it when I get back b/c Japan radio uses a frequency range around 76MHz (below Canada's 81MHz).

Thanks for the info. I think I will be getting one of these transmitters to go with my flash player, when I do pick it up.

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Http://www.ezgotrend.com/productdetail.html-cid=12&pid=01266853

iHp-120 for 439.00 CAD

For anyone who was curious about the lowest price

Altho i bought mine from ecost... great site with nice borderfree features.
http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecsplash/shop/detail.asp?dpno=296204
286.95 US = 378.46 CAD
+ Standard shipping = $463.85

Clearly more expensive... but keep a lookout on ecost.. because they have intermittent sales... that's when i got mine, and i saved about 40bucks off buying it retail in the city.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by gasper
Take a look at this beauty!

31120667-2-300-overview-1.gif

# Plays up to 600 hours of digital music*
# 20GB of internal storage�_
# Large, vivid color display
# Ultra-fast USB 2.0 transfers
# Supports secure transfers from Windows Media Playerâ„¢**
# Rechargeable battery lasts up to 16hrs
# View JPEG or BMP images
# Built-in FM tuner
# Integrated voice recorder
# Record music from any audio source(no PC required)
# Supports MP3, WMA, ASF, WAV and OGG music files
# Store or transfer files of any type
# Enhanced 3D audio

IMO

without a removable power source its not worth it.

[jai]

slingshot

TRIBE Member
Do the iriver have any problems associated with battery life (overall - not day to day operation). It has been widely shown that Apple has been gouging people on replacement batteries - having to send the unit to Apple and pay upwards of $150 to replace the battery after only 18 months.

ss

p.s. anyword on the H140 in Canada yet?

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Subsonic Chronic

There was a very timely ad at the bottom of the thread for iRivers, and one is listed for $353.06 CDN, which doesn't sound bad if it were the total cost, however it's from a vendor in the U.S. which means getting dinged with shipping, duty, "brokerage fees" and who know what other bullshit. The only Canadian vendor on the list wants over $100 more ($462).

You realize that "timely" ad is the work of Adsense right?

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Balzz
You realize that "timely" ad is the work of Adsense right?
I suspected that the ad might have been triggered by keywords in the thread but wasn't sure. Normally I would curse this kind of technology but for once it was kind of helpful. ;)

Liquidity

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by skin deep
iAudio m5, has video playback as well.

oh man... *drool*... i love the idea of having a portable divx (downloadable codecs) player... if only it had a tv-out jack...

slingshot

TRIBE Member
A few more questions re: iriver H120. (Ian help me out here)

1. Can you upload from unit via USB (important regarding the recording feature)?

2. Are the batteries user replaceable? Or does unit need to be sent away?

3. Does the unit have a good Shuffle or Random feature?

4. Does the unit start-up in the location of the last track playing? (i.e. when I turn it off in the middle of a dj set - will it resume at that spot when re-powered)?

ss

butter418

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by slingshot
A few more questions re: iriver H120. (Ian help me out here)

1. Can you upload from unit via USB (important regarding the recording feature)?

2. Are the batteries user replaceable? Or does unit need to be sent away?

3. Does the unit have a good Shuffle or Random feature?

4. Does the unit start-up in the location of the last track playing? (i.e. when I turn it off in the middle of a dj set - will it resume at that spot when re-powered)?

ss

1. Yes you can upload. The Iriver when plugged into your computer acts like another hard drive so you can do everything you would normally do with any other hard drive

2. No the battery is not replaceable and once it is dead then you have to scrap the Iriver. However I am sure you will be able to find 3rd parties suppliers that can replace the battery for you. The battery is supposed to last 5 years and by then I am sure you would not be using the Iriver that much as there will be better more modern things to spend your money on.

3. Yep it has a few different options to mix up stuff

4. Yes however what I wished it had was a way to bookmark places because if you go to another track then your place is lost but if you turn it off or stop it will start where you left off

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by butter418

4. Yes however what I wished it had was a way to bookmark places because if you go to another track then your place is lost but if you turn it off or stop it will start where you left off

That is an excellent feature. I've always wondered why Car CD players can do this, but home CD players or even discman's cannot? My Panasonic will startup on the last track played, but at the beginning of it.