• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

New Ibooks with Intel Processors made affordable

oh toro

TRIBE Member
Boss Hog said:
Still overpriced.
i guess the time that windows users spend on dealing with spyware, virus/worm issues, and reinstalling is not quantifiable.

out of the box... you get a much better experience with os x than you do with any windows system. if it was just about buying hardware then a $150K mercedes is about $100K overpriced.

dig this

TRIBE Member
those look real nice... some specs could have been bumped up a bit - superdrive & hardrive, maybe graphics, but regardless, a beautiful machine. worth every penny.

and oh toro - great analogy. sometimes quality is worth a lot more than what you actually pay for it.

nice to see the MB Pro's bumped up a bit too.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Hypnotoad

TRIBE Member
With the exception of the graphics card(on board intel vid card that uses system RAM) it's a very nice laptop, and affordable. Given that I paid more a year ago for a slower, single core centrino with a smaller ATA hard drive, this seems like a very good deal that could see Apple actually sell more computer hardware. Kudos to Apple and I can't wait to save the few pennies to buy one. :)

Dialog

TRIBE Member
In typical Apple style, they have annoyingly stratified the product range by not offering a build-to-order DVD+/-RW option in the lowest-end model, only a DVD/CD-RW. I do feel in this day and age it’s a glaring omission. The next highest model adds that and a 2Ghz Core Duo for $200. But then again, if budget is that much of an issue, build an external DVD-burner when you need it for maybe $130. Hell, get a FireWire-capable case for the burner; unlike the 1st rev MacBooks these actually have a FW400 port!

I have recently been thinking about a cheap Windows laptop to replace my wheezing P3… with the advent of BootCamp and eventual virtualization, this has got me thinking…

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Inspiron E1405
$1,216
8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
60GB Hard Drive
1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz, 2 Dimm
14.1 inch screen

Now dell does give you $200 off in mail in rebate along with a free upgrade to a 120 gig drive but I don't see why apple is charging more for the same machine. This isn't VW versus BMW this is the same damn hardware.

dig this

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
Inspiron E1405
$1,216
60GB Hard Drive
14.1 inch screen

Now dell does give you $200 off in mail in rebate along with a free upgrade to a 120 gig drive but I don't see why apple is charging more for the same machine. This isn't VW versus BMW this is the same damn hardware.
It's not the hardware that should influence your choice so much as it's the OS. Plus aesthetics, but that's just a luxury.

But you're totally right, especially now that've switched to intel you can copmpare with accuracy between mac & pc. If specs are all you're interested in then get a dell cause it will always be cheaper.

Hypnotoad

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
Inspiron E1405
$1,216
60GB Hard Drive
14.1 inch screen

I'm just trying to look around the dell site for that laptop. What section is it under?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Hypnotoad

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
Inspiron E1405
$1,216
60GB Hard Drive
14.1 inch screen

Ok, I found the customize page for it.

First, the CPU is only 1.66GHz compared to the 1.83GHz offered in the lowest end macbook. It's another $100 for the 1.83. Second, the RAM offered by Dell is slower than what's in the macbook. And finally, Dell isn't specific on what type of hard disk they are putting in the system, whether it's SATA or ATA. If it is ATA, there is a significant performance difference between the two.

And finally, I'd much rather use OS X than Windows XP.

If Dell is cheaper, it's because you are getting less of a machine ;)

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Hypnotoad said:
Ok, I found the customize page for it.

First, the CPU is only 1.66GHz compared to the 1.83GHz offered in the lowest end macbook. It's another $100 for the 1.83. Second, the RAM offered by Dell is slower than what's in the macbook. And finally, Dell isn't specific on what type of hard disk they are putting in the system, whether it's SATA or ATA. If it is ATA, there is a significant performance difference between the two.

And finally, I'd much rather use OS X than Windows XP.

If Dell is cheaper, it's because you are getting less of a machine ;)
I currently use both OS's as I have both a mac powerbook and a dell laptop. Now I did configure and upgrade the machine to include the faster 1.83 duo core chip, and although the ram is slighlty slower I did include twice as much, and although the hard drive interface is ATA it does infact come with 120 gigs of it (free upgrade) and a $200 rebate. This brings the total to around $1000 for twice the ram, twice the hard drive, larger screen, better battery life, longer and better warrenty (I've used Apple Care and Steve Job can personally lick my left testicle).

Now I understand the OSX thing and I'm not trying to convert anyone here, but if anything apple is consistantly overpriced when you consider they are using shelf components.

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
Same hardware, different package. It doesn't have a built in camera or remote for itunes/dvd player, it doesn't come with all the software that the macbook comes with, and most of all, it doesn't look like the macbook. The dell is not as thin or as light as the macbook. Ergonomics do matter

Remember the industry that apple supplies the most : MULTIMEDIA, notebook design does matter, no one wants their workspace to look like shit.

oh toro

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
Inspiron E1405
$1,216
60GB Hard Drive
14.1 inch screen

i'm willing to bet that the dell is about 2 lbs heavier and at least a 1/2 inch thicker... which in this day and age amounts to a desktop replacement, not portable.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

erikwh

TRIBE Member
oh toro said:
i'm willing to bet that the dell is about 2 lbs heavier and at least a 1/2 inch thicker... which in this day and age amounts to a desktop replacement, not portable.
well the dell is about 45 grams heavier and 1 cm thicker... although it does come with a screen than is 1" bigger and a battery with 50% more life.

oh toro

TRIBE Member
erikwh said:
well the dell is about 45 grams heavier and 1 cm thicker... although it does come with a screen than is 1" bigger and a battery with 50% more life.
how do you get more juice out of a battery that is 2 WHr less than the 55 WHr battery of the mb? besides, who wants to be confined to running windows out of the box?

Sinister Shadow

TRIBE Member
oh toro said:
how do you get more juice out of a battery that is 2 WHr less than the 55 WHr battery of the mb? besides, who wants to be confined to running windows out of the box?
Effeciency? Perhaps the Dell is more effecient in it's use of said power? That's how. Not all components consume power at the same rates. Of course they could also be inflating their values.

I'm all for Mac, but at this junction they're failing to address the light/small category well. A 12" macbook pro that comes in around 4lbs is a necessary addition to their line at this point.

The macbooks are an affordable entry but they're pretty heavy for a machine that size. The 15.4" mbp is only some 300g or so heavier.

Finally, the mbp's are nice, but honestly, I'd have taken a larger keyboard and moved the speakers somewhere else.

cds

Karim

TRIBE Member
A $1250 crotch heater....hmm I'll stick to warming k-y to heat up my nads until they solve this problem.