• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

New Fear - Angry Hippo coming at me in the water

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
i know they are dangerous, one just killed 12 kids, but the SPEED, its like a mini jet propulsion submarine with break water capabilities and Teeth that crocodiles which are apex predators for MILLIONS of years steer CLEAR away from.

NOM NOM NOM DEAD -_-

acheron

TRIBE Member
You often see hippos and crocodiles in the same rivers and watering holes, fairly close to one another. Not exactly a symbiotic relationship but the crocs know enough to stay out of the hippos' way, and the hippos can count on the crocodiles keeping other predators away from them.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Hippos are the most dangerous animals in Africa killing more humans every year than any other animal.

My plan is to train one as my steed for the zombie apocalypse.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
SO i was doing a bunch of reading on Hippos !

they are amazing.

the males can get up to 8000-10000 lbs. They can jog/run 15mph and burst speeds of 30mph( or km/hr ) depending on the source !

they also dont swim. they RUN UNDERWATER launching themselves off stuff and the ground !! they move that fast in the water WITHOUT swimming.

they basically hang out, bellow, and fight for dominance, young hippos can be killed just by being too close to a couple of big angry hippos.

ONLY humans i think can take down full grown male hippos in water, and their only other predators are Crocs and Lions or big cats, and a pride is required to take down a female or young male, when far away from water.

;
The hippo's jaw is powered by a large masseter and a well-developed digastric; the latter loops up behind the former to the hyoid.[9]:259 The jaw hinge is located far back enough to allow the animal to open its mouth at almost 180°.[12]:17 On the National Geographic Channel television program, "Dangerous Encounters with Brady Barr", Dr. Brady Barr measured the bite force of an adult female hippo at 8,100 newtons (1,800 lbf); Barr also attempted to measure the bite pressure of an adult male hippo, but had to abandon the attempt due to the male's aggressiveness.[33] Hippopotamus teeth sharpen themselves as they grind together. The lower canines and lower incisors are enlarged, especially in males, and grow continuously. The incisors can reach 40 cm (1.3 ft), while the canines reach up to 50 cm (1.6 ft).[32] The canines and incisors are used for combat and play no role in feeding. Hippos rely on their broad horny lips to grasp and pull grasses which are then ground by the molars.[9]:259, 263 The hippo is considered to be a pseudoruminant, it has a complex three- or four-chambered stomach but does not "chew cud".[12]:22

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

kirstenmeows

TRIBE Member
Years ago, I was with my mom at the zoo and we hit upon the hippos right at feeding time. They were busy being in the water doing hippo stuff when suddenly the attendant called out their names at the other end of the pen. "Perky, Petals, dinner!" Within seconds they were out of the water and across the grass to snarf down their dinner. It sounded like a thunderstorm. It was really fun to watch. :)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
So true! When I lived in Africa I thought I should watch myself around Tigers and Lions. I was wrong and was told by the locals...

"Never get between the water and a Hippo"

and

"Never get eye contract with a bull"