• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

New Email Scams - please share and advise

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
has anyone here ever fallen for an email or telemarketing scam? does anyone here know anyone that has ever fallen for such a scam?

i almost fell for this netflix email scam about a year ago: http://www.tribemagazine.com/board/tribe-main-forum/169884-netflix-email-scam.html

that one seemed legit because i actually subscribe to netflix so i was not immediately suspicious when i received an email from them. i receive legit emails from teksavvy, rogers and other service providers regularly.

in the last week, i received these two emails from individuals who say they want to hire me for legal work.

-----------
From: Aditya Khare 4-Yr B.Tech. Metallurgical Engg. [mailto:kaditya.ramesh.met14@itbhu.ac.in]
Sent: May-18-15 1:59 AM
To: ***
Subject: RE:

I would like your advice regarding a possible representation on a litigation
case concerning a breach of contract/collection matters. I believe that the
matter is within your jurisdiction which is why I'm requesting your legal
advice.

After a review of your firms profile as well as your experience, I am of
the opinion that your are qualified to provide the legal services as requested.

Kindly reply, so I may provide any additional information.

Regards,
Yati

-----------
From: michaelkapoor707@gmail.com [mailto:michaelkapoor707@gmail.com]
Sent: May-17-15 8:05 AM
Subject: demand and litigation issue

Hello, Please get back to me if your firm is in position to demand and litigate the issue of a breach of loan agreement repayment. Warmest Regards, Michael Kapoor Company: Develop and Co. Tel:1-866-538-4944
-----------

i don't work for a law firm. i work for a private equity firm and only do legal work for my company. i suspect they got my email address from LinkedIn perhaps, but i'm not sure what the scam would be.

would they wait for me to answer and then try to get me to send them cash before they send a big legal file?

why would they target lawyers with this scam? surely they don't think that lawyers would be an easier target group than other folks? or are they counting on lawyers being so confident that they would not get ripped off that they would have their guard down?

i am tempted to contact these guys, out of curiosity, and playing along until they ask me for cash or a credit card number. would there be any downside risk in doing so? would responding get me added to their target list? would pissing them off get me killed?

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
Just ignore them. Especially if these aren't targeting work you even hypothetically take on.
My buddy started egging on and responding to a couple of these types of emails, only to start receiving twice the amount of spam and Nigerian prince offers after that point.

acheron

TRIBE Member
part of these scams is establishing which email addresses are viable and which aren't. They may be sending out thousands or millions of emails trying various combinations of words or names and numbers to see if they get any kind of response at all. I get emails about problems with accounts at banks that I don't do any business with.

The trick here is that if you respond, you are essentially telling them, OK this is a real email address, add me to the list of addresses to send even more spam to.

It's also a good measure of gullibility - how quick can they get you on the hook.

Never respond to phishing emails.

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
A buddy of mine almost got duped by an Ecuadorian coaching scam. He is a cross-country coach and they contacted him to coach the Guayaquil team. Pay was quite high at $100,000 USD a year plus housing, but not so unreasonably high that you'd immediately see it is fake. They even have a website that supports the whole thing. Even the Canadian embassy, when contacted, said it seemed legit. The $600 coaching licence fee--not to mention the absence of a formal interview--is what made it an obvious scam.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
A buddy of mine almost got duped by an Ecuadorian coaching scam. He is a cross-country coach and they contacted him to coach the Guayaquil team. Pay was quite high at $100,000 USD a year plus housing, but not so unreasonably high that you'd immediately see it is fake. They even have a website that supports the whole thing. Even the Canadian embassy, when contacted, said it seemed legit. The $600 coaching licence fee--not to mention the absence of a formal interview--is what made it an obvious scam.
now THAT is a specific scam!

so if this legal work scam is similar, i expect they would tell me the story of a massive legal claim that they have, with promise of huge legal fees, but they need me to send them a few hundred bucks to pay for photocopying and shipping of files to me.

i will not respond to the email, but i may call the 1-800 number from a company phone line at some point.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
^ wow, that's crazy. thanks for the articles. i wonder why/how nigeria got so good at these scams over other third world countries. they really have carved out a great niche in the world of crime and general depravity. they have also managed to stay current and take advantage of new technologies.

derek

TRIBE Member
I got a job offer today! From a Doctor no less

'Top of the day.

I wish to inform you about a job offer. Our company in China have begin exporting his product into Canada/America market and as such, we seek to recruit individual or company that can take the position of Account receivable/financial representative to help us monitor our financial transaction. If you accept this offer, you will be paid $4000 /monthly and also attract other bonus. For more information, contact me directly on Email: drxingcheng20152020@outlook.com

Thanks
Dr Xing Cheng'

peko

TRIBE Member
The majority of my spam is in French. Lots of designer sunglasses sales too.

Junkmail everything except your contact list.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
i got this one a couple days ago. such a heart-wrenching tale. i would love to know the success rate of these.

-----------

From: mrs_mabeldavs@yahoo.co.jp [mailto:mrs_mabeldavs@yahoo.co.jp] On Behalf Of Sonia Maye
Sent: May-20-15 7:04 PM
Subject: Why not reply me

From Mrs Sonia Maye and Daughter
Abidjan-Ivory Coast.
this mail might come to you as a suprise and the temptation to ignore it as
serious could come into your mind but please consider it with a divine
wish and accept it with a deep sense of humility.

Perhaps this would go down as the most difficult letter i will ever attempt
to right in my life.i am not sure that it will adequately conveys the remorse
i feel at this moment how do i begin my story? how do i tell this story without
shedding tears, tears of sorrow oh god i thank you for giving me this opportunity
to air my view and to share this story with some one.

I am Mrs Sonia Maye and Daughter from Ivory Coast. i was married to late
Mr Freed Mayes who was a contractor with the government of Cote d'Ivoire before he
died in the year 2011 after few days in the hospital.his doctor said his death was
as a result of poison.

We were married for so many years with one girl of 17 years respectively called gift.
when my late husband was alive he deposited the sum of( $2,500m) two million five
hundred thousand dollars with one bank here.

Presently this money is still in the custody of the bank here. recently, my doctor told
me that my health condition is very bad due to cancer problem.having known my condition
i decided to contact you so that you will help me to transfer this money into your private account and also help my daughter to come over to your country to start a new life. moreover you may be aware of the political problem going on in my country i don’t want my daughter to stay here during the election next year march.

The brothers of my late husband has raised against i and my daughter sincethe death of my husband and they have sized all my late husband properties but they did not know about this deposit which my husband made with a bank here which i will soon send you their contact.

You should promise me that you will help my daughter to invest this fund in your country and also help her to further her education in your country. please assure me that you will act accordingly as i stated herein. Send me these information so i can submit it to bank and also introduce you as our family friend who will receive the fund .

1. Full name:___________________
2. Address:____________________
3. Sex___________
4. Age:_____
5. Occupation:___________________
6. Phone:_______Mobile:_____________
7. State of origin :_____Country:_____

Hoping to receive your response immediately,

Thanks.
Sincerely .
From Mrs Sonia Maye and Daughter

orchid

TRIBE Member
Oh yeahhh! That one had me wondering... It was really off-script from the usual rhyme and meter of these scams.
Yeah, it wasn't the typical Prince of Nigeria crap. She was travelling, and was taken hostage or something? Was in some kind of danger anyway. You even wrote to her to make sure she was okay.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
From: ryoichikado77@gmail.com [mailto:ryoichikado77@gmail.com]
Sent: June-09-15 10:59 PM
Subject: HELP NEEDED

Dear Counsel, Please advise if this is your area of practice, reviewing proposed transactions,purchasing business and creating contracts for business acquisition (merger). Please get back to me at your earliest convenience so I can forward you the company information and letter of intent. Yours Sincerely, Ryoichi Kado (President) KAGA ELECTRONICS CO.,LTD. 20 Kandamatsunagacho,Chiyoda-ku Tokyo 101-8629 Japan TEL: 81-(0)3-5657-0111 81-(0)3-4455-3111 FAX: 81-(0)3-3254-7131 http://www.taxan.co.jp/english/ ryoichikado77@gmail.co

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
I thought this one was worthy of a thread revival.

---------------
Date: December 19, 2019 at 9:34:07 PM EST
Subject: Re: How are you
Reply-To:
<christywalton527@gmail.com>

Dear beloved,

Greetings to you! I am Mrs. Christy Walton, a citizen of the United States of America. I bring to you a
proposal worth the sum $14,900,000.00 (Million USD) which I intend to use for a humanitarian project. I am happy
to know you, I have never doubted my instinct as it has never failed me, even as it has directed me to you at
this point in time so do not be afraid. I saw your e-mail contact at the department of commerce and foreign
trade. I am writing this mail to you with heavy sorrow in my heart, it's painful to let you know that I have
been suffering from esophageal cancer and a rare heart disease for the past 6 years and just a few weeks
ago my Doctor told me that I won't survive the illness. I am contacting you because I don't have any other
option but to open up to you about my project at hand.

Please get back to me by providing me with your personal information so I can provide you with further
details. Please treat this information as strictly confidential.

Do always check your Spam/Junk folder for my next response.

Kindly get back to me on my direct e-mail (christywalton527@gmail.com)

I await your response.

God bless you.
Mrs. Christy Walton

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I thought this one was worthy of a thread revival.

---------------
Date: December 19, 2019 at 9:34:07 PM EST
Subject: Re: How are you
Reply-To:
<christywalton527@gmail.com>

Dear beloved,

Greetings to you! I am Mrs. Christy Walton, a citizen of the United States of America. I bring to you a
proposal worth the sum $14,900,000.00 (Million USD) which I intend to use for a humanitarian project. I am happy
to know you, I have never doubted my instinct as it has never failed me, even as it has directed me to you at
this point in time so do not be afraid. I saw your e-mail contact at the department of commerce and foreign
trade. I am writing this mail to you with heavy sorrow in my heart, it's painful to let you know that I have
been suffering from esophageal cancer and a rare heart disease for the past 6 years and just a few weeks
ago my Doctor told me that I won't survive the illness. I am contacting you because I don't have any other
option but to open up to you about my project at hand.

Please get back to me by providing me with your personal information so I can provide you with further
details. Please treat this information as strictly confidential.

Do always check your Spam/Junk folder for my next response.

Kindly get back to me on my direct e-mail (christywalton527@gmail.com)

I await your response.

God bless you.
Mrs. Christy Walton
Christy is covering all the bases with that pitch!