1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

new chemical brothers album and tour

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by ndrwrld, Mar 21, 2007.

1. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

2. terrawrist III

terrawrist III TRIBE Member

isn't there a new Martika in the works??

3. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

So, with the possible exception of some tracks on their first album and "Live at the Social" (they were much better DJs than producers, imho), did the Chemies actually suck? I mean, Setting Sun was terrific and it was a very trippy video but after that... meh.

Were they just part of that top-40 electronica fascination with Moby, etc in the late 1990's?

4. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

i wouldnt say the Chemies sucked, ever.
    Brothers Gonna Work It Out is a wicked mixed album, paying homage to their musical roots.
    all their Electronic Battle Weapons i really like.
    i think theyve been consistant since day 1.

5. Chris

Chris Well-Known TRIBEr

Their concert awhile back where Oakenfold opened up was pretty amazing, talk about visual overload! I would totally be interested in seeing them again.

No Toronto date?

6. JESuX

JESuX TRIBE Member

great fucking album.

exit planet dust and dig your own hole remain two of my standard hands down favourites of all times, to this day.

how can you not go apeshit over dig your own hole?

ugh. so good.

7. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

their myspace blog says U.S dates will happen, but it wont be a huge tour...just select cities. Toronto and or Montreal will certainly be included.

8. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Don't get me wrong, I paid them their due back then... saw them in Montreal with Kid Koala, which was fun... I went to the album release party for Dig Your Own Hole at the Phoenix and that was ok... (Martin Streek gave me a t-shirt!) and then when I saw them at the Koolhaus or whatever it was called at the time it was meh... Maybe I just lost interest in how 'electro' they were becoming - not so much about melody and fun as about bang and crash.

9. sweetdaddy

sweetdaddy TRIBE Member

i have always been a fan of chemies.
    they have some songs i dont like, and some i absolutely love...and then some great beats in between.

they suffer from the same bullshit criticism daft punk do, people love the first album so much, and then are too closed minded to evolve with the artist.

10. RumRogerz

RumRogerz TRIBE Member

*glances at chmeical brother albums*

yea, they are all wicked albums. They stretch out on so many wavelengths. Production values are always top notch.
    Dig your own hole
    Exit planet dust
    Surrender
    Come with us
    dirty dirty dirty tunes

However i do think the last album "Push the button" was a bit weak.
    And not to mention, the last two battle weapons in my opinion stank like dog piss on a hot day. It was more useless than tits on a nun.

11. atbell

atbell TRIBE Member

Both bands also suffer from club overdose. There are still tracks from both groups that I can't listen to because they just got so much play around 97-98. I still skip block rockin' beats and da funk every time the come on in a play list.

I like Surrender but come with us is the most underrated of their cd's.

I'm also a big fan of The golden path which has a hilarious music video.

12. d.code

d.code TRIBE Member

I have never seen the brothers live and its something thats on my list of things to do before I die.

Definably going to do everything possible to see them.

Star Guitar is one my favorite music videos.

13. billy

billy TRIBE Member

it's not an album. it's not even a song title.

chemical beats was a frikkin anthem back in the day. it always makes me think of john e.

14. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

15. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

billy, usually I find myself agreeing with almost anything you say.

the album you're thinking of is Exit planet dust. their first album

ndrwrld is referring to brothers gonna work it out which was a dj mix album put out around 1999,

you're both right :)

16. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

17. soulbrother 10

soulbrother 10 TRIBE Member

I've seen the Chems twice over the years. They deliver a blitzkrieg of sound and lights. I love 'Come with Us' and 'Star Guitar' is brilliant. I had a tape of 'Brothers Gonna Work it Out' on permanent rotation in my car for years and it never stopped sounding great. Don't miss a chance to see them.

18. Looking forward to the new album. I just hope it's better than the last one.

19. Hamza

Hamza TRIBE Member

come with us kicks major ass!

20. sweetdaddy

sweetdaddy TRIBE Member

the last album had some stinkers on it....but also had some great tunes too

21. case sensitive

case sensitive TRIBE Member

This is one act I have wanted to see for a very long time, love their production and mixes, bring it on!

22. johnny B rad

johnny B rad TRIBE Member

I hear ya!

23. johnny B rad

john e played the shit outta that track... and it's still wicked!

24. johnny B rad

my fav. song is "where do i begin"
    a close second...... "it doesn't matter"

25. ravinjunkie

ravinjunkie TRIBE Member

Daft Punk and The Chemical Brothers in one year?!?
    HOLY SHIT!