• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

new car shopping thread

kuba

TRIBE Member
Budget: $600 OR SO per month, lease only

Needs: manual, performance, AND, a sedan OR wagon.

I'm looking at the V70R (about 2003/02), or the Legacy 2.5GT wagon, or the WRX wagon. I can't think of anything else out there, in this price category. Definely not the GTI, cuz the new GTI (vw) is a piece of shit, and it's not a wagon. It's much too small, even in 4-door mode.

Don't say Mazda3. How about the V50? Are they based on the same platform as the mazda3?

HELP!

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kuba

TRIBE Member
Ok,

Saab- nah, can't do it. It's a good car but I've been talking to 3 mechanic friends who all say NO MAS on SAAB. Sorry, brad.

Civic? They come in wagon form?

A3 - isn't that a glorified Jetta? A3 is grossly underpowered, no?

Hmm, never thought about the A3 in all seriousness, and the 3-year no scheduled maintenance deal IS a good option for a lux car..

IS 250 doesn't come in wagon, at least not the new one, AFAIK - the old one did but it looks like the Protege5 *barf*

V70R: IF there are any out there, such a rare car I doubt I'd find one. And in 6-speed, too.

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Nah, kidding about Civic.

A3 has the 2.0FSI engine.

You said sedan OR wagon so the IS250 works. :p

kuba

TRIBE Member
Balzz said:
Nah, kidding about Civic.

A3 has the 2.0FSI engine.

You said sedan OR wagon so the IS250 works. :p

oops, would DEFINETLY prefer a wagon. I do enough mountain biking and camping etc., to want / need the room. Plus I think the v70r is just the ABSOLUTE BEST LOOKING WAGON ON THE PLANET.

I present you exhibits a. and b.

v70r.jpg

v70r.jpg

Wolf in sheep's clothing.

kuba

TRIBE Member
PS - does anybody here subscribe to an online car magazine site like R&T or C&D or MT that would have a long-term test review of this car? Or can someone remember maybe in those UK mags / sites where I would find it? I've googled "V70R long term test" with little luck- all of them go to the S60/V70, but not R, and that doesn't tell me enough about long-term problems related specifically to this car.

Balzz

TRIBE Member
kuba said:
Wolf in sheep's clothing.

Indeed, monster brakes and a great 300hp engine. Was surprised by one at Mosport last year. Fantastic low speed traction and good stability in the sweepers.

Balzz

TRIBE Member
If I were getting a wagon, it would be a Magnum SRT-8 or a hemi at the very minimum but it doesn't come in a manual.

Lurker

TRIBE Member
kuba said:
PS - does anybody here subscribe to an online car magazine site like R&T or C&D or MT that would have a long-term test review of this car? Or can someone remember maybe in those UK mags / sites where I would find it? I've googled "V70R long term test" with little luck- all of them go to the S60/V70, but not R, and that doesn't tell me enough about long-term problems related specifically to this car.

All those mags are poo. pickup a copy of CAR or EVO and the back is filled with ratings and long term reviews. What do the honkeys know about cars anyways? :p

With a little bit of extra shopping effort, you could likely score yourself and 850 T5R Wagon, but I don't think they came to North America in a manual tranny.

Other than that, the V50 shares major architecture with the Mazda3 (why be a hater?!?!) and is a cool little ride.

I'd go for the Lexus IS300 or even a 350 if it fits in your budget. You DID make allowances for a sedan!!!! The lexus won't cost you down the road like most others might, in which case maybe financing it and keeping it long-term might be an idea as well.

The Subaru's are cool, but they're also a heatscore. Even the Legacy GT is well known for it's STI-esque power minus the ghey wing. Don't get me wrong, they're good cars, but you might pay more in insurance & repairs etc just because it's a hi-performance Subaru (road legal rally car etc ad nauseum)

There's only one way to really find out what you like better, and that's to drive each one like you stole it.

kuba

TRIBE Member
I don't like how the mazda3 looks, and more important, I hate how every tom dick and harry has one. Call me cynical, but I'm looking to get a car that is unique. More unique than the 3. I also tried it once and wasn't impressed, felt too bulky and more like a soapbox than a performance -oriented car. Haven't seen the mazdaspeed3, or 6 yet, so I can't comment on those.

T5-R wagon does not come in manual, and I won't be like my brother and get an automatic R. Useless.

I've tried to throw the S60R around but the dealer said no.

kuba

TRIBE Member
RX8- no. Let me rephrase:

NO SEDANS. The more I thik about it, the more I figure, if I'm going to get my first REAL car, I want the one I want. Sedans are out.