• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

New Canadian $5 and plastic $100 Bills?!

SUNKIST

TRIBE Member
cool..i didnt know we were getting a new $5 bill. its pretty. i like the new $10's too. its very european looking.

i wish they would bring back $1 and $2 bills..i hate lugging around change.
 

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Bills, Bills, Bills

I wonder why these new notes ($10 and $5) have entered circulation with so little fanfare? You really shouldn't catch people off guard when it comes to currency.

Anyhow, I have mixed feelings about the $5 bill in general. I sometimes wonder if we should finally move to a $5 coin instead. It's going to happen eventually, and the paper money seems to deteriorate so quickly these days.
 

Rosey

TRIBE Member
Re: Bills, Bills, Bills

Originally posted by AdRiaN
I wonder why these new notes ($10 and $5) have entered circulation with so little fanfare? You really shouldn't catch people off guard when it comes to currency.

Anyhow, I have mixed feelings about the $5 bill in general. I sometimes wonder if we should finally move to a $5 coin instead. It's going to happen eventually, and the paper money seems to deteriorate so quickly these days.
i agree completely. so long as the coin was made from a fairly light material. but i wonder at what point minting forgeries of $$$ coins becomes cost effective.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

SUNKIST

TRIBE Member
NO MORE COINS!!!!

they should just laminate paper bills or something. if there is a $5 coin im moving out of this country.
 

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
A rave flyer with canadian tire money influences, with a hint of IGA grocery supplement.
 

Jazz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by SUNKIST
NO MORE COINS!!!!

they should just laminate paper bills or something. if there is a $5 coin im moving out of this country.
AGREED!!! I can't stand all that heavy change in my pockets, creating unsightly bulges... The only bulge I want in my pants is my own!

The worst is when you pay for something small, like a pack of gum, with a $10 and they have no $5's left... "here's 9 loonies, sorry about that!" ... makes.me.want.to.smash.things.
 

Fir3start3r

TRIBE Member
Re: Bills, Bills, Bills

Originally posted by AdRiaN
I wonder why these new notes ($10 and $5) have entered circulation with so little fanfare? You really shouldn't catch people off guard when it comes to currency.

Anyhow, I have mixed feelings about the $5 bill in general. I sometimes wonder if we should finally move to a $5 coin instead. It's going to happen eventually, and the paper money seems to deteriorate so quickly these days.
No we don't want that.
Coins are not worth anything on the international market and would degrade the strength of our currency.
:(
 

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
Money, money, money,


Okay I'm love'n the new bills, and hope no more new coins for god sake, could you imagine 5$ and 10$ coins too!!!


Australian money is the best though, it feels like plastic or something, anybody?
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Rosey

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Bills, Bills, Bills

Originally posted by Fir3start3r


No we don't want that.
Coins are not worth anything on the international market and would degrade the strength of our currency.
:(
say what?
are you saying that if we issued a $5 coin the value of the canadian dollar would drop? could you back this up somehow please?
 

Cheeka

TRIBE Member
ooooo la la
I love the new bill :)!!
I didn't know there was going to be one.

I'm suprised because the toonie and loonie were the biggest thing ever (sadly)... I remember seeing my first one as a kid at a Canada Day pancake breakfast... everyone was oooo'ing and aaaa'ing at it....
I know its different because it was a coin replacing a bill but you would think the bill would get some press time here.
what else to we have happening :p??
 

RJ45

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: Bills, Bills, Bills

Originally posted by Rosey


say what?
are you saying that if we issued a $5 coin the value of the canadian dollar would drop? could you back this up somehow please?
Yeah, because you know there's like those currency traders or whatever.. And they like, trade trillions of dollars a day around the world, or something. And like if you were like totally trading a trillion dollars, would you want it in coins? NO. Like, DUH! :rolleyes: .. or sumfin.
 

Silverback

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by SUNKIST
i wish they would bring back $1 and $2 bills..i hate lugging around change.
I use to think the same but after having to travel in the states and using american money everywhere? Oh how I love my loonies and toonies. I hate having all those bills that add up to a mear 6 dollars. Having to use bills to pay for small things, getting like 2 dollars change back and you get more bills. Bills bills bills ..


<--- does not like destiny's child and draws the line at the $2 coin.
 
Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

AshG

Member
Canada should really follow australia's lead and start minting plastic money. It never wears out, is much more difficult to counterfeit and looks a hell of a lot better.

I like their coins too; they're smaller.

Also they round all cash transactions - no pennies!
 

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by AshG
Canada should really follow australia's lead and start minting plastic money. It never wears out, is much more difficult to counterfeit and looks a hell of a lot better.

I like their coins too; they're smaller.

Also they round all cash transactions - no pennies!
I was just about to post the same thing, you can't rip that money and it lasts..... looks very chic as well...

Kyfe
 

AshG

Member
Originally posted by AshG
Canada should really follow australia's lead and start minting plastic money. It never wears out, is much more difficult to counterfeit and looks a hell of a lot better.

I like their coins too; they're smaller.

Also they round all cash transactions - no pennies!
And you can wash it!
 

Preroller

TRIBE Member
I ahve already implemented the no penny rule at my work. I hope that other countries will do the same, but I dont think we'll eliminate the penny till the US does, never!!!! oh well.
BTW....liking the new 5....hockey rules!!

Dave
 
G

Guest

Guest
Originally posted by ChrisD

Australian money is the best though, it feels like plastic or something, anybody?
Its cos the Ozzies are always jumpin into the ocean with bills in their shorts.
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Temper Tantrum

TRIBE Member
I :mad: coins...

If there was a 5 dollar coin I'd spend even more then I do now. I just dont think of change as *real* money...

Plus I hate having a heavy wallet!

~allie~
 

Maui

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Temper Tantrum
I :mad: coins...

If there was a 5 dollar coin I'd spend even more then I do now. I just dont think of change as *real* money...


~allie~

Thats the truth amen!
I could have 30 bucks in coins sittin at my house and just keep buying stupid little things with it cause it seems like so little. and annoys me so i try to get rid of it. And i do have a lot cause at work i get tips. So its either that or buy those stupid rollers (what a concept paying to cash in your money) and spend tireless hours counting nickels and dimes.
And then bring em to my OWN bank, cause one time i brought a roll of quarters to Canada Trust and they wouldn't change em cause i had no account with them... wtf!? :rolleyes:
you wonder y their are random shooting sprees? :D

Robbie
 

Plato

TRIBE Member
ooh, purty

does it have braile?
whats the quote on the hockey side?

i wish they woudl announce this, the new ten dollar bills caused sooo much problem with disbelievers when it first came out, giving a new ten dolar bill back with change got people angry since they thought we were giving them fake money.

p[l]a+0
 

seeker

TRIBE Member
it's just money, but:

the new bill is about on par with all our bills. there's nothing terribly amazing about it, but nothing terribly terrible (??? :p) about it either. i'd keep them in my wallet.

oh, and BTW, more coins = bad idea, IMHO.

"acronym boy"
 
G

Guest

Guest
Re: Bills, Bills, Bills

Originally posted by AdRiaN
and the paper money seems to deteriorate so quickly these days.

actually these new bills are supposed to last a lot longer than the old ones. They've got something like plastic added to them.
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories
Top