• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

New Bike - Help with make and model(s)

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
Hey gang!

Can you guys recommend a good beginner mountain bike or hybrid that isn't that expensive. Maybe somewhere around $600. I don't care about the newest and latest, I just want it to be of good quality. Since I'm going to buy two, I want to keep the price down a bit.

:eek:

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
My wife and I grabbed a few bikes last year around the same budget and are very happy. We do not race nor are we heavy trail riders. We just wanted something fun to hop on once in a while.

I ended up grabbing this for myself

GT Men's Karakoram 3.0 29R White 2013 - SportChek.ca

and this for my wife

Jamis Women's Durango Sport Femme Mountain Bike 2012 - SportChek.ca

Note: both were on sale for 499 last year when we bought at end of season.

Okay, I was actually looking at that/those ones. I'm the same as you... I don't really care about all the bells and whistles. Are they both still in good shape? Lots of tuning?

aaron

derek

TRIBE Member
is it for moutain biking or city riding? if it's the latter a hybrid with racing slicks is advisable.

the rocky mountain rc 30 goes for about $600. good build and decent components for the price range.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
I live in Grimsby and would most likely ride around here or by the lake. Now that you asked me that, I'm not sure which to pick. Okay, maybe this would help. I am going to try and never ride on the streets (because I'm scared) and will try and use it on trails I guess???

derek

TRIBE Member
for trails (unless we're talking paved trails) you don't want racing slicks. but if they nice scenic trails (ie not technical) you also don't need fully studded tires. you could still go with a hybrid, you just want more rugged wheels.

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
There's something catchy about this hybrid. I just looked around for hybrids because that sounds like what I need for what I'm going to do most often.

GT Men's Traffic 2.0 2013

This may be a stupid question... but what does the *traffic* mean in the name of the bike?

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
Nuts! These are the categories I'm finding... LOL@me... I thought there was only 2/3.

Mountain
Road
Cyclocross
BMX
Hybrid
Mountain 29er
Comfort
Adult Trikes
Urban
Tandem
Folding

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
I got my hybrid for $7 to 800 and it's a Trek. There are always sales going on.. especially end of year sales in October.. I got my road bike for 20% off.

HC_P

TRIBE Member
Yo Aaron,

Don't worry about how fragile a bike "looks". As long as you're buying the bike from a decent bikes shop (which I think you are), all the bikes they'll carry should not fall apart if you're using it for the intended purpose.

The intended purpose is the key factor here. I think some other folks have been inquiring if you'll be using these bikes on paved roads (e.g., streets or bike paths), or will take the bikes off road (e.g., dirt trails).

If you're planning to stick only on paved roads then stick to either a hybrid or urban bike. I think the only difference between the 2 types is that the hybrids will likely have a larger range of gears, while an urban bike will likely have just a handful max. However, if there's a chance that you'll ride trails (e.g., mountain bike trails with some bumpy/technical areas, and not a smooth pave road with some direct on it) on a semi regular basis, then your option is a mountain bike just to ensure the bike can handle the abuse.

If you're truly unsure (paved vs. dirt), and if it were me, I'd get a mountain bike and a separate set of slick tires. This way you'll have a bike that you can take on the dirt (with the original knobby tires), or the road (if you switch over to the slick tires).

Anyhow, not sure if that's helpful, but just another perspective.

Ciao,
Albert.

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
Albert! Thanks so much! I was thinking... I was going to keep it on safe paths and stuff that wasn't too rough, but I know I get carried away sometimes and I could see myself needing the mountain bike. I think you've definitely helped me with what STYLE to get for sure.

Okay, so it is a mountain bike. Now I just have to find one. Everyone though seems to suggest waiting til the end of this season to save $$$.

I'm going to start looking right now. When i buy or just before I buy, I'll post the bike here for one last "Yay" or "Nay"

Thanks again all!

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
Okay, I'm starting to see the deals happen I guess because of the season is almost halfway over if not more.

My better half is saying that she doesn't want a good bike... even suggested something used. Actually, even suggested Wal-mart and I was like "no way... the board said to stay away from crap, so we are not doing that"

I don't think she will go out that much (compared to me) and won't put the bike under load/stress

Would this be a bad choice

Nakamura Woman's Solano 6.3

I'm going to post what I'm also considering for myself (just brainstorming)

AB

le bricoleur

TRIBE Member
get the simplest bike in your price range.

the more bells and whistles your bike has (if it's a lower-end/entry-level bike) the more inferior each component will be to meet the price point. and the heavier your bike will be.

for example, I would pass on the full suspension Nakamura. the parts won't be worth the soviet pig iron they're pressed from. and you don't need a full suspension bike unless you're bombing down mountains.

both of those GTs look good but I'd go with the first one. disk brakes can be expensive to have serviced.

again, fewer moving parts the better, unless you're going to break the bank and can be assured of quality components.

forget the reebok. buy a bike made by a bike company.

octo

TRIBE Member
those bikes have very basic components.

lower end components means more hassles (from as minor as noise when shifting to chain falling of or getting jammed or breaking).

like someone mentioned. the frame durability is not a big concern. the concern with the frame is weight. since you're only going to do occasional trail riding there's no point in investing big bucks into a light bike.

the other issue is front suspension. if you're going to be doing some trail riding it's almost a must have. shocks are great for trails but sap power on paved trails. some bikes have shocks that you can lock when you're on pavement.

a guy at work was telling me about this warehouse the other day. seems like some good deals. and better bikes than sport check.

make sure you get a bike that has the right frame size.

NEW JAMIS DURANGO 1.0 13" 15" 18" Hardtail Mountain Bicycle

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
I was thinking the same. Get a better brand, but don't get all the perks. I just didn't know what that meant or what that bike looked like.

Also, I was looking at the *Jamis* brand. Is that ok? Sportchek carries that brand.

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
I guess it is... I just checked the site and they have $1800 bikes. I know there are more expensive, but that's a bunch more than 6 hundo.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Jamis makes some decent bikes. They also make some great bikes.

Their lower end has started using cheaper steel, which is why when I was looking for a single speed this winter, I dug and found a new 2011 Beatnik using 520 double butted Reynolds chromoly for the frame. The thing with many bike companies is that they are using cheaper components in their current models to maintain their price points from years past.

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter

Saweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! This is awesome. I really appreciate you guys all helping me on this. I know for sure I would have ended up doing something wrong - for sure!

I usually can figure this out, but I knew this was different. Okay, well I have my eyes on 2-3 bikes now. I will post those pics as soon as I get one. Maybe even from the store for one last "what do you think guys?"

Thanks again!

AB