• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

New Amp = New Noise Complaints. What can I do?

matty

TRIBE Member
I got a new guitar amp last weekend and have already had 2 noise complaints from the people who live one floor below me. Since it's a tube amp it sounds best when the tubs are running hot so I'd really like to be able to play it at a reasonably loud volume, but not obnoxiously loud.

Is there anything I can do to reduce or eliminate the sound that travels down to the floor below me? Hang the amp on chains from the ceiling? Sit it on foam padding?

I really don't want to move :(
 
Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

diablo

TRIBE Member
lost.jpg
 

depraved

TRIBE Member
Get an attenuator (check Steve's for used goods) which run between the preamp & the power amp. Crank your amp up & get all the saturated tubey goodness w/o all the decibels.
 

matty

TRIBE Member
An attenuator? I don't think I can get anything into the circuit between the pre and power amps as it's all one unit.
 

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Put sound attenuating foam in front of it... actually, put it all around it.

This gives the added bonus of muffling it in such a way as to give it the "warmth" of vinyl.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
Turn down the bass if possible because that's probably what's making the most noise. some foam padding or thick carpet might help but not significantly.
 

Funzo

TRIBE Member
If your amp is on the ground put it on a stand, this will help decrease the vibrations running through the floor and into your below neighbours house.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

matty

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Dr Funk MD
Turn down the bass if possible because that's probably what's making the most noise. some foam padding or thick carpet might help but not significantly.

Tried that to no avail. Think getting it up off the floor will make much difference?
 

deep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by m..m
my suck is actually quite good thanks.

but your neighbours have their suck cranked to 11


you should position the amp and speakers right in front of their door, then hit a righteous power chord, then give them the horns and yell "slayer"
 

matty

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep
but your neighbours have their suck cranked to 11


you should position the amp and speakers right in front of their door, then hit a righteous power chord, then give them the horns and yell "slayer"

lol. Actually that's not such a bad idea. I think I'll need a video camera to capture the moment.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by m..m
lol. Actually that's not such a bad idea. I think I'll need a video camera to capture the moment.

I still think that blasting audio from a gay porn is a better idea.
 

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by m..m
Tried that to no avail. Think getting it up off the floor will make much difference?

Yes it will actually make more difference than just about anything else.


Find out when they are out and blast away while they are gone.
 

depraved

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by m..m
An attenuator? I don't think I can get anything into the circuit between the pre and power amps as it's all one unit.

Ask around the shops for the name of a good amp technician. Once you have some leads, ask for references & check to see whether the ppl whose amps they've worked on are happy. An amp technician can easily find the connection between the pre-amp & power amp. Once they do, you're good to put an attenuator in between (albeit mounted outboard via in/out connections out the backplate of the amp).
 
Top