• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

New Abu Gharib photos

Gunark

TRIBE Member
A bunch of new photos got out today, many of them much worse than the original batch. Some show what appear to be corposes of prisoners tortured to death.

The american media completely ignored the story. Not even a word on CNN, NBC, ABC.

The CBC however reported on it (and reported on the US media's lack of reporting).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...16.xml&sSheet=/news/2006/02/16/ixnewstop.html

Fresh photographs and video footage of prisoner abuse at the Abu Ghraib jail in Iraq were broadcast yesterday by an Australian television channel, raising fears that the revelations could further stoke Muslim fury.

Australia's Special Broadcasting Service showed the disturbing footage as Pakistani rioters attacked western businesses in Peshawar, spurred by the publication of cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed in Europe.
Prisoner abuse at Abu Ghraib prison
The video footage shows Abu Ghraib inmates bleeding, hooded and standing in ‘stress’ positions

At one point in the video a chained Iraqi prisoner, apparently mentally disturbed, was shown repeatedly beating his head against a wall.

In another, a naked inmate appeared to be being squeezed between two stretchers.

Many of the pictures - depicting prisoners hooded, naked, standing in "stress" positions, threatened by a dog, showing wounds on their buttocks or dead - were similar to the photographs of abused prisoners that provoked international outrage in 2004.

But the network said it had also received other material too graphic to broadcast.

This included footage of naked prisoners made to masturbate in front of the camera. There were also "many" pictures of two prison guards - Private Lynddie England and her lover Cpl Charles Graner, who are both currently serving prison sentences - having sexual intercourse.

SBS's Dateline programme said the images had been recorded at the same time as the earlier photographs of US soldiers abusing detainees at Abu Ghraib, outside Baghdad. SBS did not say how it obtained the material, which is the subject of a legal battle in America.

A US court last year ordered the release of the images following a freedom of information lawsuit brought by the American Civil Liberties Union. But the Pentagon is appealing against the decision.

As Arab networks broadcast the story at the top of their bulletins, a Pentagon spokesman criticised the SBS broadcast but refused to confirm whether the pictures were genuine.

"The department believes that a further release of images could only further inflame and possibly incite unnecessary violence in the world and would endanger our military men and women that are serving around the world," Bryan Whitman said.

He said "the abuses of Abu Ghraib have been fully investigated" and those responsible prosecuted.

Military courts have convicted nine US reservists in connection with the Abu Ghraib scandal, with punishments ranging from 10 years in prison to discharge from the army. No senior officers have been found guilty.

The grainy images broadcast by SBS show prisoners, some bleeding or hooded, bound to beds and doors, sometimes with a smiling guard beside them.

Some appear to show corpses, - apparently killed when US troops ran out of rubber bullets and used live rounds to quell a prison riot.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by el presidente Highsteppa
Care to elaborate?
lol, as amusing as it is to think of my statement as implicative of a conspiracy, it is simply that the release of videos is controlled by a single person. That person very likely had a choice as to when those videos were to be released. Obviously, it's possible that it's just a coincidence, but the likelihood for this disclosure seems far grater than the one you're so casually referring to. :D

junglisthead

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ~atp~
lol, as amusing as it is to think of my statement as implicative of a conspiracy, it is simply that the release of videos is controlled by a single person. That person very likely had a choice as to when those videos were to be released. Obviously, it's possible that it's just a coincidence, but the likelihood for this disclosure seems far grater than the one you're so casually referring to. :D

come on, its a conspiracy

sooner or later, youll break

Vincent Vega

TRIBE Member
Dude, that response makes no sense at all.

Are you saying that you were kidding around when you made your first statement?

Aaaand: el pres was not the one who made any "casual reference." You did. So what did you mean?

Come on now.....quit dancing ;)

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Guys, I was hoping my initial doomsday remark was obvious enough. Even the general forum catches on more quickly. :)

(okay, okay, I'm teasing. But yes, I am just chiding the other thread...)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Vincent Vega

TRIBE Member
Guys, I was hoping my initial doomsday remark was obvious enough. Even the general forum catches on more quickly. :)

(okay, okay, I'm teasing. But yes, I am just chiding the other thread...)
Damn it!!!!!

*shakes fist*

I hate being slow in the mornings......

Karim

TRIBE Member
The funny thing is, all those "Support Free Speech, they shouldn't be mad it was just a cartoon/joke" supporters don't understand how deep the hate is between the west and the muslim world. It's shit like this which builds the anger, it's the cartoon which breaks the camels back.

Like seriously, had the Jewish state of Israel existed pre world war 2, and Nazi Germany published a cartoon mocking the Jews, it would certainly enrage the Jewish world and bring them more pain than they should have to bear.

This is the same shit but on a smaller scale death wise, larger scale capital wise.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
I'm in the states right now and it's interesting to watch the media coverage of both this and the cheney (sp) fiasco.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
Originally posted by Skipper
I'm in the states right now and it's interesting to watch the media coverage of both this and the cheney (sp) fiasco.
...And the request by the U.N. to close guantanamo bay and suggestion of stripping Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld of any decision making dealing with prisoners.
...And the investigation on Scooter Libby
...And the wire tap controversy
...And Cheney's defence of using torture
...and so on and so on

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Skipper
right now I'm watching the history channel special on vietnam. Its actually not half bad.

I switched work from CNN to Olympics coverage, its been well recieved and I get to watch hockey so its good.

Genesius

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Karim
The funny thing is, all those "Support Free Speech, they shouldn't be mad it was just a cartoon/joke" supporters don't understand how deep the hate is between the west and the muslim world. It's shit like this which builds the anger, it's the cartoon which breaks the camels back.

Like seriously, had the Jewish state of Israel existed pre world war 2, and Nazi Germany published a cartoon mocking the Jews, it would certainly enrage the Jewish world and bring them more pain than they should have to bear.

This is the same shit but on a smaller scale death wise, larger scale capital wise.
I don't know. I think I do understand. Doesn't make it right. Just like it wouldn't be right for the Jews to do it. Hate ain't no good anywhere. These photos are sick and sadening. I was dissapointed in the response of someone from the UN that was interviewed by the CBC this evening regarding why they didn't visit guantonamo. His response was "because we said, 'China let us interview the detainees so if you won't were not coming' " obviously paraphrasing, but it was pretty weak. At least he could have said something like "we believe it's a ploy, if we are not allowed to interview detainees, we will not come back with any 'bad news' therefore the prison looks like it passed the human rights test"

Too bad, lost opportunity I guess.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
Karim said:
i like the "camels back" reference!! lol

yes those free speech supporters really should understand that when 2 groups dislike each other they should refrain from the sort of criticism that every other group must endure.

heaven forbit political cartoons that have mocked public figures, state and state actors, and other religions for centuries should exclude muslims and any depitions because they find it offensive. heaven forbid christians get offended in Saudi Arabia when they are not allow any public displays of their religion becuase that is the custom. no, i suppose this "muslim diaspora" you are referring to expects the rest of the world to conform to their concept of what is acceptable and what is not.

everyone should be open to jabs by the media, and encourage discourse, as opposed to encouraging further limiting of free speech.

deca.dance

TRIBE Member
acheron said:
She's much better looking than that Lynndie England chick.

When I read the wire article and saw these photos - they are so disgusting that I find part of myself believing that they cant be real.. but knowing that they are.. but they cant be..but they are..