1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Networking Question

Discussion in 'Technology' started by AdamAnt, Jun 4, 2015.

1. AdamAnt

AdamAnt TRIBE Member

I recently put a home office into the 2nd story of my house and I am using a laptop running off my wifi that is located in the basement. There is a good strong signal so no concerns there.

I've just received a VOIP phone from my work that has to be hard wired. Is there a way that I can use the ethernet port on my laptop to port out the wifi signal to the VOIP box?

I tired bridging the Wifi and Ethernet options in the network connections but I wasn't able to get the phone to work after that. Let me know if I'm missing something or if it's not even possible.

Thanks in advance!

2. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

You can grab an ap that has "client" mode. It will latch on to your WiFi and has a Ethernet port to extend the network. Also, there is power line adapters. Have not used internet sharing in windows for quite some time but I think it can be done.

Jay

3. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  4. AdamAnt

AdamAnt TRIBE Member

Thanks very much! I'll give this a try in the next couple of days and report back. :)