• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Networking: LAN + Warcraft - HOW?

echootje

TRIBE Member
Id like to play a LAN game with my roomie but the LAN game feature doesn't automatically see games created across our network? What's at issue here, anybody?

I'm using a DSL modem, and a router for internet sharing. Internet searches are spectacularily unhelpful :(

Rob

air-bag

TRIBE Member
maybe you need to manually set the ip of the host / remote computers within your network.

to obtain an ip address in windows go to command prompt and type "ipconfig"

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Is this the OLD warcraft, the original?

I think it might use netbios or another protocol other than tcpip, so make sure, under network properties> lan connection properties, install the IPX/SPX & NETBIOS protocols on both PCs.

echootje

TRIBE Member
9-5 bump

Nope Rob, it's Warcraft3 (cracked version if that matters)

The HP proprietary software for my router is a little confusing. We're all file sharing and printer sharing over the router so shouldn't this be a near automatic thing for WC3 to play LAN games??

Rob

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by echootje
9-5 bump

Nope Rob, it's Warcraft3 (cracked version if that matters)

The HP proprietary software for my router is a little confusing. We're all file sharing and printer sharing over the router so shouldn't this be a near automatic thing for WC3 to play LAN games??

Rob
Its probably because you are trying to do this with a cracked version....

it would most likely work easily enough, had you two legitimate copies, with two different cd-keys.

>shrug<

If you can share files between comptuers, and printers aswell... there's no reason war3 shouldnt see the same network conneciton.

hence: Those trixie anti-pir8ses gots us again. precious.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

echootje

TRIBE Member
damn those anti-pir8s :(

I don't think that's it really tho, Battle.net is the only real pir8cy protection because it's an online serial number check. Otherwise I don't see why this should be a problem.

Has anybody done this before?

Rob

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by echootje
damn those anti-pir8s :(

I don't think that's it really tho, Battle.net is the only real pir8cy protection because it's an online serial number check. Otherwise I don't see why this should be a problem.

Has anybody done this before?

Rob

Put it this way:

I've unsucessfully tried to setup lan games on my fully functioning lan using a whole sample-platter of some of the most recent games....

the more recent ones (i.e. halo for pc) just don't let you do it... usually a 'key mismatch' error message occurs.

get two seperate keys.. then try again.

that's all i can think of.....

if that still doesnt work, and you really really love war3 and you know you'll play it lots with your roomie, buy the damn game :D

Liquidity

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by KiFe
if that still doesnt work, and you really really love war3 and you know you'll play it lots with your roomie, buy the damn game :D
more money to game developers = higher quality games in the future.

WCIII: $39.99 at most retailers.

ps. i have nothing against pirating sucky games.

H2Whoa

TRIBE Member
is the router the default gateway for users internally on this network? your internet connectivity shouldn't matter if it's only a LAN connection for your multiplayer game

most likely issue is that its a craked copy

do you have a software firewall installed on the pcs?
if you do disable it

i would also try putting both machines on the same network segment...depending on the router it may not be forwarding the traffic

if it's the first WC including IPX/SPX in the protocol stack may be necessary

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

lok

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Liquidity
more money to game developers = higher quality games in the future.

WCIII: $39.99 at most retailers.

ps. i have nothing against pirating sucky games.
totally my philosophy.