1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Netgear WNR2000 + Macbook

Discussion in 'Technology' started by glych t.anomaly, Sep 30, 2010.

1. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

SO i got a new router a while back, maybe a month and a half.

now both desktop PC's connect to it just fine, and when i start my macbook up, it sees it, but times out when i try to connect to it, unless i restart the router, and then it connects just fine.

however if i disable my wireless radio on my macbook and then enable it again, it still times out thinking there is no internet connection.

so im asking Tribe is all its glory, if there is any reason it would be doing this?

its a wireless N network @ 300mbps and is WPA secured.

thanks for any input.

2. Deus

Deus TRIBE Member

Same thing was happening to my GFs MacBook Pro. I read up on it, but I don't remember what the cause of it was, something about renewing something. Apparently it's a problem with Macs. Regardless, I had to buy a new router and now it works without interruptions.
  3. glych t.anomaly

the macbook keeps trying to renew its IP on the network?

hrrrm i am going to talk to my IT guys at work tomorrow, to see if they know.

cuz this router is fantastic and im not getting a new one.

thanks for the heads up !

4. glych t.anomaly

did some reading and it seems to have to do with interference from other wireless sources.

so i changed the channel from auto to a numerical value, and it seems to have fixed the issue.

just did a speed test.

21mbps down
    0.5 mbps up