1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Netflix canada now available

Discussion in 'Technology' started by romstah, Sep 22, 2010.

1. romstah

romstah TRIBE Member

netflix in canada is now available for $7.99 with 1 month free trial. Not bad for pricing but the selection could use more help, like they dont have the movies from the EPIX deal they signed recently, and shows from STARZ Play.

2. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Is it activated on Xbox/PS3 as well?

3. romstah

romstah TRIBE Member

for the ps3 i guess it is, for xbox it says coming this fall.

4. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member

I wonder if its possible to share accounts. Say my friend and I want to go halves, and we each have a PS3. Can we create a 3rd PSN account and use it Gameshare style

5. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Hrm...that's a good question.

Does it lock to a specific system or is it account based?

I'm guessing it would be account based because if not, you'd have to create a seperate account for PC ordering and PS3 ordering and mail ordering.

Woot! That could be a pretty decent loophole.

6. romstah

romstah TRIBE Member

im sharing my US account with my bro-in-law, afaik you have 6 device activations on 1 account. Im not sure about streaming simultaneously as i heard mixed stories.

7. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

just signed up, getting my disc mailed to me, free trial account ftw !!!

[jai]

8. glych t.anomaly

PS3 yes, xbox later in fall.

[jai]

9. atomic

atomic TRIBE Member

Looks great. Feeling hesitant that all my first random searches came up unavailable.

10. glych t.anomaly

yeah apparently alot of TV shows are not available yet.

i hope they up their content, although since i download most of my TV shows, i was more interested in having a bunch of movies to peruse through when i feel like watching something but im not sure what.

[jai]

11. Balzz

Balzz TRIBE Member

What's the free disc for?

12. romstah

romstah TRIBE Member

its for the wii i suppose

13. glych t.anomaly

yeap, the Wii needs a disc to run it.

[jai]

14. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

I wonder how much Rogers and Bell will reduce the speed of neflix by traffic shaping their servers. A lot I bet.

15. Balzz

Balzz TRIBE Member

I think Rogers already killed netflix access over 3g. Was reaching it fine from the ipad this morning...now it's unreachable. lol.

16. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

way i see it, and im assuming the way rogers sees it too, is that this is more of a direct threat to their business than people DLing torrents.

chances are the people torrenting tv shows and movies probably weren't going to pay for them in the first place, but the people signing up for this service are obviously willing to pay for their content....

17. ian

ian TRIBE Member

I set my girlfriend up with an account yesterday (she doesn't have cable or anything) and she was quite pleased. We watched an old Hitchhiker's Guide the the Galaxy on her laptop and it worked perfectly. When I got back to my place, I tried to see if I could run in on my PlayStation 3 using her account. It worked like a charm and the HD quality was excellent (for shows that had it). I couldn't believe how fast it streamed either (although however, I do have "Fibe.")

18. Fillmore

Fillmore TRIBE Member

I'll try to find the official source but watching the news last night I saw that Blockbuster USA has filed for bankruptcy Protection. They claim companies like Netflix has put them out of business.

Now that these services are available in Canada, I wonder how long Blockbuster Canada will last.

19. danielablau

danielablau TRIBE Promoter

Blockbuster lost a huge opportunity to change with the times.......they let the train pass them by...........fuck them anyways, years of over pricing and ridic late charges!

20. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

I installed it on my PS3 last night. .

The selection of movies/shows is terrible right now. They have maybe 40 movies total. I tested a few:

"The Golden Child" - SD but was proper 16:9 ratio, decent picture quality. Looks like the PS3 up-scaler was working its magic.

"What Dreams May Come" - HD and was supposed to be 1.85:1 letterbox ratio, however Netflix decided to stretch the image to 16:9 making it look horrible.

Overall I'm not super impressed, unless selection improves I'll be cancelling by the end of the free month.

21. erika

erika TRIBE Member

I want non-Hollywood flics; is it worth it for me yet?

22. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member

I'll prob sign up for the free month over Christmas break when I'm home more often. Coworker was all for it, then changed his mind when he saw the weak selection of films. Love how it just installs right to the XMB though. Smooth

23. glych t.anomaly

24. ian

ian TRIBE Member

I don't think so, however, it's free for a month so you can see for yourself?

25. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

For $8, if I watch 2-3 movies a month it's worth it for me.