• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

nerve cells successfully grown on microchips

deep

TRIBE Member
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/TechNews/2004/02/19/353584-cp.html

Cdn. researcher: Cells can grow on silicon

CALGARY (CP) -- Researchers at the University of Calgary have found that nerve cells grown on a microchip can learn and memorize information which can be communicated to the brain.

"We discovered that when we used the chip to stimulate the neurons, their synaptic strength was enhanced," said Naweed Syed, a neurobiologist at the University of Calgary's faculty of medicine.

The nerve cells also exhibited memory traces that were successfully read by the chip, said Syed, co-author of the landmark study published in February's edition of Physical Review Letters, an international journal.

The research was done in collaboration with the Max Planck Institute for Biochemistry in Munich, Germany.

The team cultured nerve cells from a snail and placed them on a specially designed silicon chip. Using a microcapacitor on the chip, scientists stimulated one nerve cell to communicate with a second cell which transmitted that signal to multiple cells within the network.

A transistor located on the chip then recorded that conversation between cells.

Syed said the discovery is groundbreaking.

"We've made a giant leap in answering several fundamental questions of biology and neuro-electronics that will pave the way for us to harness the power of nanotechnology," he said.

The findings could help in the design of devices that combine electronic components and brain cells. That includes controlling artificial limbs or restoring sight for the visually impaired.

Future research will focus on interfacing silicon chips with the human brain to control artificial limbs and develop "thinking" computers.

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

~atp~

TRIBE Member
The team cultured nerve cells from a snail and placed them on a specially designed silicon chip. Using a microcapacitor on the chip, scientists stimulated one nerve cell to communicate with a second cell which transmitted that signal to multiple cells within the network.

A transistor located on the chip then recorded that conversation between cells.

So they created a stimulus <--> feedback situation, where the nerve cells acted as a conduit.

That's fucking awesome.

Sitting beside me on my desk is a 500-page book on neural nets and cognitive theory from MIT press; but I feel like it's so outdated now, with the awesome advances in technology I've been hearing about like this one.

We're moving ahead at a frightening pace, wouldn't you say?? :)

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
Yeeees! Soon my bionic platipus army well be ready.
platy10.jpg

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
"The research was done in collaboration with the Max Planck Institute for Biochemistry in Munich, Germany."

----------------------------------

how wonderful that the Germans are working on technology to make Uber-humans, im sure theres no reason to suspect they may use this technology to build a "master" race of some sort... i mean that was like what 50 years ago...

hA!!

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by judge wopner

how wonderful that the Germans are working on technology to make Uber-humans, im sure theres no reason to suspect they may use this technology to build a "master" race of some sort... i mean that was like what 50 years ago...

hA!!

They're developing this technology so they can re-insert Hilters brain in to some host.

Brandon

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Dr Funk MD
They're developing this technology so they can re-insert Hilters brain in to some host.

"Everyone's always in favor of saving Hitler's brain. But when you put it in the body of a great white shark, ooooo, suddenly you've gone too far."

- Professor Farnsworth

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by PosTMOd
Read it again, and note that we are moving ahead at a snail's pace.

damn dood.. you're so sharp, i could cut half a hair lengthwize in 5 pieces!

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by JESuX
:eek: :eek: :eek:

AHHHH! WHAT THE FUCK!?

That was a mouse that had a plastic frame in the shape of an ear put under its skin, and the skin grew around it.

Nothing too freaky, just stupid science at its best. And it gets people up in arms, since they think that somehow a human ear was grown on a mouse.

sweet_e

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by wayne bradbury
What about glow in the dark mice?

BTW there are mice that "glow in the dark". The have GFP (greeen flouresence protein) tagged to genes of interest and under the corerect stimuli theses genes can be visualized so that you can see where the the mouse is expressing the gene of interest.

We use them to track the expression of viral vectors used for gene therapy to ensure high levels of transcription.