• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Nelly Furtado and Timbaland - Promiscuous Remix?

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
OK this tune is screaming for a wicked chicago funky remix. Any out there already?

Gonna work on one myself hopefully with the assistance of an instrumental and vocal.

Aleks

TRIBE Member
sounds hype! thats exactly what i thought when i first heard the track...

g'luck on the remix. and ill trade ya some other hiphop/RnB remixes for a copy!;)

JAR

TRIBE Member
I was reading the latest issue of Q mag (which I stole from the British Council) today and there is a pic of Nelly in it that is perhaps the hottest thing I've ever seen.

that's all.

ps. way to go Lil' Jazz!

coleridge

TRIBE Member
I have never really been a fan of Nelly Furtado. But I have to say Promiscuous has to be the biggest sellout I've ever seen.

Timbaland's produced a wicked track though.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Wiseman said:
OK this tune is screaming for a wicked chicago funky remix. Any out there already?

Gonna work on one myself hopefully with the assistance of an instrumental and vocal.
Just running the original through Abelton sounds pretty good. All it needs more is a 4/4 kick, some more percussion layers and maybe a new bassline with more swing.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
coleridge said:
I have never really been a fan of Nelly Furtado. But I have to say Promiscuous has to be the biggest sellout I've ever seen.

Timbaland's produced a wicked track though.
That's a sellout for Nelly, or for Timbaland? This isn't their first collaboration, and Nelly's sellout was doing the whole world-pop thing in the first place, she grew up and made her name within the west coast hip-hop scene before she did the whole "I'm like a bird" business. If anything it's a return to her roots, not a sell-out.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Rude1_247 said:
That's a sellout for Nelly, or for Timbaland? This isn't their first collaboration, and Nelly's sellout was doing the whole world-pop thing in the first place, she grew up and made her name within the west coast hip-hop scene before she did the whole "I'm like a bird" business. If anything it's a return to her roots, not a sell-out.
I'm saying it's a sellout for Furtado because she's basically lowered herself to the lowest common denominator of RnB pop. A fluf of a song with borderline literate lyrics combined with a tacky sex-fused video. Lady Lumps 2.0.

I like it though. :)

derek

TRIBE Member
Rude1_247 said:

you mean bc coast hip-hop (i know technically it's still west), and with the exception of being on a few swollen member tracks, i don't think she's done too much with the other hip-hop artists from BC. i don't think it's possible for her to sell out, she's always been pop. before and after 'i'm like a bird'. she has an excellent musical knowledge base, and i give her mad props for bringing different sounds to her music. she wasn't a big fiqure in any underground scene though, other than a patron like most of us. this new song is just run-of-the-mill rnb summer filler. it really is lady lumps v2.0.

that said she is smoking hot.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Aleks

TRIBE Member
coleridge said:
I'm saying it's a sellout for Furtado because she's basically lowered herself to the lowest common denominator of RnB pop. A fluf of a song with borderline literate lyrics combined with a tacky sex-fused video. Lady Lumps 2.0.

I like it though. :)

yeah i also thought this after seeing the video.... heheh...

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
tobywan said:
quick update on that one...her and lil' jazz have broken up recently, so that means she's on the market!
I just thought I'd add that Justin looks just as smokin hot in this video and if he was to ditch ms. Diaz for Nelly it wouldn't bother me one bit.

I love this track and loved it even more after seeing JT in the video.

TRO

TRIBE Member
I think JT was doing the video not only out of friendship with nelly but also cus timberland is producing a bunch of tracks if not all of them for his new album (cross promotion)

originally he wanted the neptunes to do it but JT's ladel and the neptunes' label had a falling out in dealing with each over on this project...

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

jcitizen

TRIBE Member
what happened

ok, wasn't that girl kinda of a hippie two years ago? cause now she kinda seems like some generic video tramp. she does look pretty hot though.

SRM

TRIBE Member
Wiseman said:

Personally, i don't think this track needs a remix at all. Leave it alone already. It's not even a good song- the only good thing about, it is Nelly Furtado's ass in the video.

Definitely not the best production coming from Timbaland.

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
zoo said:
rude1 can you hook up the samples (vocal + accapella)? :)
Just saw this now, not sure if it was a joke I just didn't get, but I don't have either the vocal or the acapella, sorry.

As an aside, this is supposed to be a top-40 club banger, chin-scratchers are not the intended audience. There's nothing wrong with a poppy dance tune once in a while, this is FAAAARRRRR from lady lumps, and I think Nelly's musical track record speaks for itself.

Derek, you're right, most of her hip-hop stuff actually came out of Toronto, but she was active on the b.c. coast as well. Interestingly enough, her first recording was on an underground hip-hop track out of Toronto, and her first album was as one-half of a Toronto based trip-hop group. In fact, she owes her 'discovery' to Honey Jam, a Toronto festival celebrating women in hip-hop. While singing there, she was discovered by Jarvis Church who later produced her debut album.

I haven't heard the whole album yet, so I won't call it a cop-out. I actually think it took some balls for her to decide to throw out a club jam rather than yet another world-pop track as a debut single.

illestofdananas

TRIBE Promoter
i love this tune.
when i first dumped it on my phone i listened to it a good 56 times in a row. i just couldnt stop. i kept noticing elements i couldnt let go. the backing vocals are perfectly placed.

to say this is a cop out is flat out wrong. this is just her and him having fun. it almost seems as if this tune is more about nelly and timbo's vibe with each other in the studio. listen to what they say b4 the trak starts. almost like its not even about a girl and guy trying to get together but more like her and him grooving in the studio

they got a mad chemistry