• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Need to rent lighting for a show!!

halo five

TRIBE Member
I'm helping put on a fashion show next month. The venue has lighting but it's pretty tame - we're going for over-the-top epilepsy-inducing mayhem on a budget. Anyone know any good places to rent strobe lights and other nonsense? I was going to check out Long and McQuade.

Also if anyone has their own lighting they'd be willing to rent to me for a night, get in touch!

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Lanog And Mcquade will do you well for a very reasonable price. Just make sure you go a couple days before the event as stuff tends to go pretty quickly and you can't reserve anything.

oh and btw it's pretty easy to make a strobe light and it's kind of a fun project too.

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
Call system music warehouse , ask for barry. tell him jay (from markham school partys) sent ya. he will hook you up :)

Jay

woops, its in pickers. just to let you know.

djrhyme

TRIBE Member
If you want to cost efficient then I'd stick to L & M and rent the par cans with foot controller. That's normally all I've needed for fashion shows I've done. Although...you may need a lot of par cans depending on the venue size. Also look at your power requirements as par cans take a lot of juice and you may trip the circuit.

If you have a high budget and want to look good get some moving heads. George from Shakedown Sound can hook you up.

GOOD LUCK! :D

halo five

TRIBE Member
'Par cans' - had to google it :)

Extremely low budget, so I guess spinny programmable fixtures are out.

Tripping the breaker will definitely be an issue, as it's happened before just from the sound-system. Used to have the lights and sound on the same breaker, I think they've fixed that.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by xtcfreak
Call system music warehouse , ask for barry. tell him jay (from markham school partys) sent ya. he will hook you up :)

Jay

woops, its in pickers. just to let you know.

barry will fuck your shit up.....he always hooked up our jams....great guys

djrhyme

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by halo five
Long and McQuade doesn't carry follow spots. Who's this Carlos you speak of?
Actually, they do. You're looking for an American DJ FS1000. It is a 575 Watt followspot on a stand with adjustable spot size.

djrhyme

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by halo five
Hmm, just spoke to them on the phone and they said they don't carry them. Time for a callback. Thanks!
Oh forgot to tell you that rental stock varies by location but I know for sure the location in Scarbz has it (can't see why Bloor or Steeles would not carry it?)...GOOD LUCK!:D