1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Need to get rid of a car

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Mz. SPy, May 13, 2004.

1. Mz. SPy

Mz. SPy TRIBE Member

I'm getting a new car on Monday.

But I still have an old car left. It just happened to die on me in my last hour of need and decided not to run anymore.

It still has a lot of good parts on it and the interior is mint.

The question is, where do I take it to get some money back for it without having to put any money into it?

What are some scrap yards that pay you for old cars?

2. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Why not have fun and trash it?

How much do you think you'll get for it?

IF:
    $$$ < Fun
    THEN:
    Fun = Fulfilment

3. Mz. SPy

Mz. SPy TRIBE Member

well apperently if I was a mechanic, and was able to get it stripped for parts and sold I could get over 500 bucks for it. But I'm not so...

I doesn't run, so I can't go and drive it around some track and smash into stuff which would be fun.

4. MalGlo

MalGlo TRIBE Member

tow it to a junkyard (call ahead first) and ask what they'd give ya

5. Jonesy

Jonesy TRIBE Member

what kind of car is it?

6. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

look in yellow pages under auto wreckers. tell them what you have and they will give you a quote. they will include the pick-up/tow as well if you need it.

alternatively, if it's worth fixing, you could always try to sell it.

7. Mz. SPy

Mz. SPy TRIBE Member

Chrysler Dynasty

There is a lot of them still driving around and parts are always needed. I mean I myself put a few used parts on it.

8. SENSEi

SENSEi TRIBE Promoter

9. I_bRAD

I_bRAD TRIBE Member

Old car + fire roads North of Barrie + Frozen november ground= rallyrace action. And buckets of fun.

Unfortunately, if you go offroading now, you'll probably just get stuck after 3 mins.

10. Mz. SPy

Mz. SPy TRIBE Member

i would fix it but i don't have the cash to do it now and i'm getting new wheels so pretty much, i just want it out of my hair.

again, offroading would be fun but it crapped out on me after a trip to Mississauga.

11. SENSEi

SENSEi TRIBE Promoter

Worthless...
    The scrap yard will probably give you $100...

I say, be done with it and be happy about it.

12. bitchass

bitchass TRIBE Member

chances are the towing charge will be greater than what the scrapyard will pay. in alberta, the kidney foundation will give you a $500 tax deductible receipt for the donation of a scrapper and they tow it for free - see if theres anything like that out there

13. The Tesseract

The Tesseract TRIBE Member

I could probably fix it up to working order... alas... i have no room for a car in the drive way.
    nor the cash to take it off you.

shitty.

There's a bunch of autowreckers/mechanic shops on Birchmount and Midland that strip cars down.

Otherwise, the closest auto yard i know is in Stouffville.

14. Yourmamas

Yourmamas TRIBE Member

I destroyed a car before, it was fun.

The autoyard will pick it up for free, but probably give you nothing.

I can't remember the charity, but you can donate it, and they will cut you a receipt.

15. HybridTheory

HybridTheory TRIBE Member