1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Need some Tribe travelling assistance

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by danielablau, Sep 29, 2010.

1. danielablau

danielablau TRIBE Promoter

I'm heading to Hong Kong then going to do a bit of travelling around south east asia. So far the only place I really want to go to is Thailand and hit a moon party.

That being said, we only have about 14 days tour around. I need suggestions on routes that start in Thailand. I am open to Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos or anywhere else that is suggested that fits the timeline and involves seeing cool shit, hiking/ziplining type stuff, good food and learning about the culture.

I've heard about a certain river which can provide goodies, I'm open to that too.

Like always, I'm sure Tribe will come through with some good shit.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Liability

Liability TRIBE Member

I have only been to Thailand and Hong Kong, so I can't be of much help planning a route.

The one thing I will say is to be VERY careful where you source your 'goodies'. 'Goodies' have very harsh penalities in many Asian countries. We saw a couple of tourists hauled away at the full moon party we attended.
  3. danielablau

Thank you for the heads up!
  4. djfear

djfear TRIBE Member

If you go to Vang Vieng in Laos you can go tubing down a river and get drunk while doing it, plus there are goodies (although I would never do any of that stuff in asia to begin with).

For Vietnam you need to get a visa here in Canada, unless you want to wait a day or so in some of the other cities around asia where it can be handled quicker.

If you only have 2 weeks then I would recommend just staying in one country and exploring it. Don't waste too much time traveling from place to place.

Edit: If you want culture, hiking, etc, go see Angkor Wat and the other wats (like beng melea) in Cambodia. Siem Reap is cool, and even Phnom Penh is great to visit. You can go see the Killing Fields and I highly recommend Prison S-21 (very chilling and a sobering experience). Get a drink after because that shit is depressing.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  5. voytek

voytek TRIBE Member

i second stayin in thailand... since you gonna be on koh phangan for the full moon party, do your party and hop over to koh tao. i've been preachin that place since i first visited 5 years ago. now it's an annual thing. go diving, rock climbing, mountain biking or dirt biking. find freedom beach. explore every road and mountain top. find high bar and gong valley. try muay thai. at least one day on the two tiny neighbouring islands - awesome shots from there.
    that's your 2 weeks right there.

angkor wat is awesome, so is the rest of cambodia, but that's another minimum 2 weeks.
  6. danielablau

Hmmmm that sounds like what i'd want to do but I have a feeling my two buddies want to go somewhere else aswell......I'll run this by them. Thanks!
  7. dig this

dig this TRIBE Member

Going for a month myself in November/December... Looking to start in Southern Thailand for 5 days or so (no full moon), Cambodia for 3-5 days, Vietnam (South to North) for 10 or so days, maybe Laos, then Northern Thailand for another 5, and end in Bangkok. I want to see as much as I can but also don't wanna rush it too much.
  8. danielablau

Nice man! I don't want to feel rushed.........I think maybe just Thailand and a bit of Laos will be it based on what I've been hearing both on here and elsewhere.
  9. dig this

dig this TRIBE Member

Anyone have advice on whether or not shots/vaccines are required for Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam or Laos?
  10. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

My advice is to check with a medical professional and not leave it to Tribe :D
  11. danielablau

Yup, just got mine a couple days ago.

Hep A, Typhoid and tetnus (since my last one was 10 years ago)

Got malaria pills and some stomach pills.
  12. dig this

dig this TRIBE Member

crazy talk!
  13. dig this

dig this TRIBE Member

did you figure out where you're going?
  14. erika

erika TRIBE Member

WHat the $%^ are stomach pills? And where ARE you going?
  15. Kinger

Kinger TRIBE Member

Probably pills to prevent upset stomach. How the $%^ could you not figure that out?!?
  16. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

shhh... remember she's really old so sometimes things get a little fogged up in the ol' brainbox.
  17. danielablau

I am going to Hong Kong, Thailand and looks like Cambodia.

Pretty shitty that I'm not uber excited about this trip......I really should be.
  18. Liability

Liability TRIBE Member

Might want to get your Hep B as well. We got a thing called Twinrex when we went over. It is a Hep A/Hep B combo.
  19. danielablau

I believe I got Hep B in highschool, so he only gave me Hep A.....he probably gets kickbacks for not using twinrex
  20. keline

keline TRIBE Member

well ain't that the pot calling the kettle black!
  21. Booty Bits

Booty Bits TRIBE Member

dig this, pay a visit to a tropical medicine clinic and they will sort you out.
    you definitely need some shots!
  22. danielablau

Alright folks, I leave Sunday, any last minute advice?

So far flight from hong kong to Phuket is booked, and flight from Phuket to koh phangan is booked and one night at a hotel. The rest will be booked on the move, hopefully timelines will work out and we'll hit Bankok, Siem reap and Phnom Penh in Cambodia then back to Hong Kong.
  23. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

use a condom.
    have a great time babe, stay safe!! :D
  24. dig this

dig this TRIBE Member

I leave Saturday!

Since it's the beginning of the high season in Thailand I suggest booking as much as you can before you leave.

My gf & I will be in Thailand (Bangkok/Koh Lanta) the first week, then Siem Reap 11/28-12/01 and Phnom Pen after... PM me if your dates overlap ours...

Do some research if you're traveling from Bangkok to Siem Reap... Sounds like a bit of a mission:

Tales of Asia - Overland - BKK-SR - Self

If you're in Bangkok on a weekend (especially Saturday), supposedly the Chatuchak market is pretty amazing... Saturday is also the big fight night for Muay Thai... Something like $30 CDN for ringside seats.

25. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Be sure to stop by Toluca Lake!