• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Need resume/interview pointers for serving/bartending jobs

Kalemic

TRIBE Promoter
Okay so I'd like to get a bartending or serving job to help bolster my income for Christmas and all the other expensive things that tend to come along this time of year. Do any people out there have any hints on where to look to make the most money | things to put on resume or accentuate | what to do or not to do in interviews | etc?

Thanks!

Kalemic

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by daddyiwantchocolate
I just deleted what I wrote out.

You can thank me later for it Sean.
Sometimes I wonder why I'm friends with you, then it hits me.

I really don't know why.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Moxie's. Always hiring. Especially for the holidays.

A lot of places are looking for experienced help right now. I can see if I can find a list.

Kalemic

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by MoFo
Moxie's. Always hiring. Especially for the holidays.

A lot of places are looking for experienced help right now. I can see if I can find a list.
I'm not overly experienced, but do have my smart serve. I've also got a bartending course under my belt.

kmac

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MoFo

If you have a list of people looking for unexperienced, part-time, evening and weekend help please let me know.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
From talking to managers, that ain't gonna cut it for the holidays. I would say about 8/10 managers I've dealt with tell me that they only care about experience. The course sometimes conflicts with the way THEY make drinks. But the basics are covered at least.
I know someone who got tested RIGHT away. Worked an hour.

From what I've seen, the people who get the jobs are the ones who are funky, get nicely dressed up and go out to about 100 bars with 100 resumes.

Also try hotel bars. They are bigger and will need more help. My friend got a job at the York Theatre.
You might also want to look into a bar and hospitality jobs recruiting agency.

The one suggestion I've been giving is to do private parties if you really want to blossom as a bartender. Hold private parties at your place to practice. Everyone pays a small fee and they get served from a menu. Time yourself, carry shit around, set up a proper bar..

And put that on your resume. This one girl did that and impressed the shit out of us. Lok did that too. Worked a lot of catering gigs (you should ask him to sign up as he often bartends) and he passes his card around to people at the wedding so he gets all these referrals to bartend other parties and weddings.

As well, try http://www.hcareers.ca It covers the GTA from Swiss Chalet to Liberty Group to small time places.

Last edited:

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by JOSHB
What is smartserve?
A little card and badge to say you have been certified by Ontario blahblah to serve booze. You have to do a watch a video, do a workbook and then do a test.

Cannabus

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ravinjunkie
A little card and badge to say you have been certified by Ontario blahblah to serve booze. You have to do a watch a video, do a workbook and then do a test.
or do it online in 10min / no video

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
really?
where I used to work, you had to do it!
no fair!

I would have loved to have done it online at home. Instead of freaking 9am in the morning, after working a 12 hour shift the night before.

Cannabus

TRIBE Member
they changed it last yr...

maybe your manager just set it up that way to be an ass to get his/her staff outta bed early..

I'd do something like that.

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
Small chain restaurants = .... shit, no thumbs up icon.

my buddy, no experience at all... got hired at Baton Rouge (originally as a server) and was put on Bar to dispense drinks. He makes decent coin doing it.

JOSHB

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ravinjunkie
Wow. No shit.

Chubbs

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by lok
Absolutely, 100% get Smartserve. Otherwise Mofo is dead on.
pfft smartserve is overrated, just lie and say you have it like 90% of the serving industry does.

The best way to get a job is persistence. Listen to MoFo, hit 100 resturaunts. You'll get a job, especially at this time of year... If I wasnt doing full time work right now I'd be hitting the streets as this is the perfect time to get in before the christmas rush, get a little senority under your belt and hopefully have the primetime shifts come december.

December is a servers wet dream, its a licence to print money (tax free to boot!)

lok

TRIBE Member
While Chubbs is correct about getting a job, the massive legal issues that might arise for serving and not having your Smartserve is worth the one hour and like $50 it takes to get it.

You should get Smartserve to protect yourself and on the part of your employer. One bad incident and you'll never work again, assuming you can pay off the fines.

RumRogerz

TRIBE Member
Come work with me at Milestones on the queensway. If you're good at serving you can make a shit load of money there. And if you treat the bartenders well with tip out, then they take care of ya ;)