• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Need Help Choosing A College!

Maui

TRIBE Member
Okay I am moving to Toronto (SANITY SAVING!) in September to attend college. I'm gonna take Business (Accounting focus).
Im looking at Humber, George Brown, and Senneca.
Now I'm trying to find out which is the best school for Business. I'm having no luck. Not sure why, I know which Universities are good at diff. programs. I can't seem to find any rankings on colleges though.

So if anyone has any idea on these three schools i'd love to know.
But please don't give me a biased "this school is great/or crappy cause i go there and had this or that happen to me".
Also I don't really care about extra curricular activities, residence, cafeteria's...etc...
I want to know which school is most respected by business' for providing the best education and most likely to land me a job.
Any advice or redirection would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Peace,

Robbie

nusty

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Maui
I'm gonna take Business (Accounting focus).
Im looking at Humber, George Brown, and Senneca.
Now I'm trying to find out which is the best school for Business. I'm having no luck. Not sure why, I know which Universities are good at diff. programs. I can't seem to find any rankings on colleges though.
so go to university.

:p

for business the university degree will get you into a grad program a lot easier (grad program is almost always useful in business if you want to climb the ranks).

you're choice has been made. :) wasn't that easy.

Maui

TRIBE Member
I'm going to University right now. I certainly don't want to take
business at this school. Besides with my marks they wouldn't let me transfer into it.
I have to get the hell out of this town. All work no play makes jack a dull boy!! (is that right?)
So i'm gonna do a couple years college then go to a university elsewhere.

Please help people.
Thanks,

Robbie

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Libradragon

TRIBE Promoter
If you're totally serious about getting an Accounting diploma/certificate and you're sure that's the career path you want to take once you finish school, then any of the collleges you mentioned above will suffice. There aren't any preferences over George Brown grads vs. Seneca vs. Humber. Most of the colleges are pretty good with setting their grads up with coop terms. My only suggestion is to enroll in a CGA/CMA program either simultaneously or right after college. THAT's the deciding factor most employers base their hirings on.

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
It's hard to say. I think that Greorge Brown and Humber are regarded as one notch up from Seneca. That is what I always hear. I went to Humber but for a different program. Very good school. Really enjoyed going there. I don't want to knock anyone who goes to Seneca, but I was told that for my program, Humber was the better school to have on your resume. I hear nothing but amazing stuff about George Brown in regards to so many programs. Who know's Seneca could have a relly good business program. I don't know if my imput helped any. Good Luck!

brindle

TRIBE Member
seneca now have some degree programs. phone them and ask which one of their programs offer a degree. its starting this fall

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
I went to George Brown.. I hated it, but then again i went and took the Desktop publishing program. ACtually, the same program Kife took..

anyway..

I know you want to go to toronto for college, however Fleming has good programs for business.

I"m not sure at the rate for accounting, but here is a few that I remember at the top of my head so you can get idea. This is grads with in a year that got jobs..

Human Resources - 100% <-- that's what i'm in
Marketing - 97% <-- that's also what i'm in
Business Admin - 100%
Accounting is either 100% or high 90's.

So as you can see most of the grads got jobs.. they are all up in the 90's. My roommate who isn't even done school yet (done this year) is already offered a contract for a month (hey, it's better then nothing, but they might ask her to stay on the team)

It just sucks that well.. it's in peterborough and it has no party scene whats so ever!!

Good Luck with your decision.. oh and don't just pick a college in toronto just bc it's in toronto.. i did that (george brown) and it was very disappointing.

ciao

Mel

Maui

TRIBE Member
Thanks for the tips people.
I do plan on enroling in the cga/cma program. The college courses count towards some of the requirements. I'm about 80% sure i want to do accounting. But i want to leave it open in case i end up prefering marketing or management...etc..
I think your probably right regarding all the colleges being fairly even. Thats the impression im beginning to get.

Hawkeye, actually i AM choosing which school based soley on being in toronto. I'm sure schools outside toronto offer a plethora of advantages on many levels. I have decided MY happiness will not be reached anywhere but by living in Toronto. I'm actually upset that i have already resounded to not live directly downtown (Way Too Expensive!). I'll be in North York.
And besides i don't care about "college life" or anything like that. I'll basically be going to class and going home, enjoying my social life outside of the college. Besides i don't think i'm gonna meet very many interesting people in Accounting. :p
I'm actually an anti-globalization activist going to business school. Go figure! ;)

Any more advice would be welcomed. My brains gonna explode from thinkin about it too much. I made a mistake coming to this school, don't wanna repeat.

Peace,

Robbie

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

vench

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by geminigirl
I went to Humber but for a different program. Very good school. Really enjoyed going there.
what'd you go to Humber for? I too, went to Humber.

Seneca is okay my friend, but I'd probably go to Humber or G.B.

my two cents

vench