• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

need advice - terminating lease with potentially shady landlord....

beaker

TRIBE Member
Dear Tribe,

We are trying to give our 60 days notice at our house.

I wrote a basic letter saying that as residents, we are notifying the landlord that we intend to vacate the premises and terminate any existing lease agreement. We all signed this letter and the landlord refused to, saying he'd have to check with his broker first.

His broker is a hostile scumbag who attacked me on the phone when I told him I wanted to move out separately... I have zero faith in this guy and he has already told me that I need written confirmation on everything or else it will be my "problem".

I need a backup plan if this situation gets any worse and I want to be covered so they can't fome after us for rent after 60 days.... If he won't sign my letter in acknowledgement, what can I do?

I will mail a copy to myself tomorrow. But this won't prove that I showed him the letter. If i need to lodge a formal complaint, who would I call?

Thanks TRIBE!

Matt

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
as far as I know, you only have to give 60 days notice in writing, that's it

the other party doesn't have to accept, it's not a deal, it's a matter of fact...move out.

leave no forwarding address...

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
if you're going out, go out in a hail of bullets... use dan as a shield.

(nothing helpful here)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

AshG

beaker said:
Dear Tribe,

We are trying to give our 60 days notice at our house.

I wrote a basic letter saying that as residents, we are notifying the landlord that we intend to vacate the premises and terminate any existing lease agreement. We all signed this letter and the landlord refused to, saying he'd have to check with his broker first.

His broker is a hostile scumbag who attacked me on the phone when I told him I wanted to move out separately... I have zero faith in this guy and he has already told me that I need written confirmation on everything or else it will be my "problem".

I need a backup plan if this situation gets any worse and I want to be covered so they can't fome after us for rent after 60 days.... If he won't sign my letter in acknowledgement, what can I do?

I will mail a copy to myself tomorrow. But this won't prove that I showed him the letter. If i need to lodge a formal complaint, who would I call?

Thanks TRIBE!

Matt

First, if your lease goes for longer than 60 days from now anyway, that 60 days notice won't get you anywhere.
Secondly, if its month to month or your lease will naturally expire within that 60 days anwway, its irrelevant what your landlord decides to do(check his broker or go skydiving for that matter) in the interim - you've followed the letter of the law and there is nothing he or any lawyer can do to stop you vacating the premises and not owing them another dime.

Incidentally you should also know that your landlord legally owes you any interest accrued on the last month's rent paid in advance at the beginning of your tenancy, and that you are within your rights to withhold said amount from the last cheque.

But yeah, check the OHT site for sure for more info.

beaker

TRIBE Member
thanks mike - we are month to month so that is not an issue.

the landlord just called and said he just has to do his due dilligence and there won't be an issue so i am slightly relieved. but this broker prick makes me nervous and i am already losing two months rent to move two subway stops on sunday (long story...).

AshG

beaker said:
thanks mike - we are month to month so that is not an issue.

the landlord just called and said he just has to do his due dilligence and there won't be an issue so i am slightly relieved. but this broker prick makes me nervous and i am already losing two months rent to move two subway stops on sunday (long story...).

remember - they legally owe you interest on that first month's rent paid in advance as well!

beaker

TRIBE Member
AshG said:
remember - they legally owe you interest on that first month's rent paid in advance as well!

right - how do i figure out that interest over the last year and a half? is there an official way to do it?

Hamza

TRIBE Member
20.jpeg

Thumpr

TRIBE Member
if you're past the first year, did you sign a lease again? after the first you're free and clear.

60 days.... tell 'em to "suck it trebek"

AshG

beaker said:
right - how do i figure out that interest over the last year and a half? is there an official way to do it?

yeah its something like 5%/a. interest or something, compounded annually i think.
the exact info is on the OHT site.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
beaker said:

Multiply whatever your last month's rent was by 0.09