• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Need a Software Phone..

EffinHard

TRIBE Member
I have to make calls all day and my handset is killing me. I wanna use my mic / headset. Is there a software phone I can install and then plug my phone line into my modem to use?

BLAH!

Balzz

TRIBE Member
You could run an Asterisk PBX, and a SIP client on your computer with a USB headset.

Or you could just get a headset for your phone.

Rataxès

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Balzz
You could run an Asterisk PBX, and a SIP client on your computer with a USB headset.

Or you could just get a headset for your phone.
Has anyone developed a decent, intuitive, web-based front end for Asterisk yet? I looked at Asterisk about a year ago it is was godawful from a configuration and management perspective.

RhesusMonkey

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Rataxès
Has anyone developed a decent, intuitive, web-based front end for Asterisk yet? I looked at Asterisk about a year ago it is was godawful from a configuration and management perspective.
We use Asterisk@Home with the Asterisk Management Portal here... nice web-based front end, but doesn't make the config much easier.

Originally posted by EffinHard
I wanna use my mic / headset. Is there a software phone I can install and then plug my phone line into my modem to use?
I may be mistaken, but I don't think you can make your modem "talk" for you over the phone line... the DACs used aren't that sensitive to mimic human tones. You really need something that is going to take your voice samples and reconstruct them into speech, like an audio codec or something. Don't think you're going to have one of those handy on your 14.4 baud :(

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories