1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

need a plumber *urgent*

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by kuba, Oct 10, 2005.

1. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

Anyone can recommend a plumber for me?

*urgent*

2. gasper

gasper TRIBE Member

3. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

If it's urgent, I would suggest the Yellowpages.ca

4. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

tried. looking for PERSONAL recommendations. yellow pages. ca has just a bunch of listings.

5. shortbus

shortbus TRIBE Member

i have one for you
    pm me and ill give you the contacts

6. ^NuERA^

^NuERA^ TRIBE Member

is there anything tribe can't do?

7. shortbus

shortbus TRIBE Member

he never pmd
    so CLEARLY IT WASNT THAT URGENT

8. Galactic Phantom

Galactic Phantom TRIBE Member

I suggest you PM Dr Funk MD...Summit will unclog your pipes.

9. lucky1

lucky1 TRIBE Member

stop flushing condoms down.. old pipes can't handle those....

i errr... found this out the hard way

10. silver1

silver1 TRIBE Member

The greatest invention of all time.

[​IMG]

11. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

So here is the problem (and shortbus, I don't live on tribe, and barely check it on weekends, thanks for NOT pming me, which woudl seem to be the smart thing to do...) anyways,

the problem is the sink in the basement is backing up. When someone takes a shower, for example, the water comes up from the drain. I'm not sure where that water is being backed up, olr why,. but I tried drano gel and nothing. I am going to try the 1 second plumber tonight, but obviously I can't keep going without using the toilet etc., so I've also called drain works. $200 to do a snake pipe clean and also a simple diagnosis of the problem. I'm only worried that I'm wasting my money with a big company and not small contractor, which is why I seeked some personal opinions. One person PM'ed me and said to try the big guys, since you get what you pay for. IF ANYONE ELSE HAS SOMEONE IN MIND, a friend, relative, etc., PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP. This is an urgent problem, not something I can sit on. Tonight - drain works is supposed to come, and I think I'll keep the appointment at the very least, spend the $200, and speak to the guy to get more details. The house has copper plumbing throughout, its new, but I'm not sure about the rest of the drainage etc.,

12. afterglow

afterglow TRIBE Member

Liquid plumr works better then Draino in my books.

*shrug*

My bathtub black up so badly at my last apartment I used 2 bottles on it, and it finally worked.

13. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

My only concern is I don't want a band-aid solution.

Either way I'll get a new plunger and 1-second thing, and spend the $200 tomorrow with those guys instead of today.

14. lucky1

lucky1 TRIBE Member

Kuba...

I grew up in an old house and this problem sounds similar to what we dealth with... the water would back up our downstairs bathroom becasue the main line out of the house had roots in it. My step dad used to have to snake the main drain, and they got the people in who can put a saw downt the pipe that cuts the roots. Its a continuous problem, that we never really fixed becasue the only way to do that would be to dig up the front lawn and replace the entire pipe.

don't use draino..... that stuff will eat holes in your pipes, and do nothing to help a big clog.

15. squirrely

squirrely TRIBE Member

the joys of home ownership.

good luck, jake. good idea, not going with a simple band-aid solution.

16. lucky1

lucky1 TRIBE Member

our test for if the main was plugged was to flushe the basement toilet. if it didn't flush right it meant the main was clogged. So maybe you could run the downstairs water... if it doen's drain well its probably an issue with the main line, and not with a pipe in the house.

17. slants

slants TRIBE Member

this happened to me last year ... 5gs to fix ... but make sure you call teh city out to inspect the damage before you start work if it's caused by a city owned tree (front yard) ... you can get up to 1500 towards your repairs from them

18. Hipsterave

Hipsterave TRIBE Promoter

call Mr Pipes, Your shit is his bread and butter

19. shortbus

shortbus TRIBE Member

please forgive me for not following youre unwritten specifications!
    please forgive me for responding in the thread you started and claimed that an urgent answer was needed!

[​IMG]

20. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

shortbrain, thanks for your witty response.

5g to fix! YAY! MORE DEBT! :p

I'm going to get the drain works people to at least clean out the pipes for NOW, to make them work, and then go from there re: long-term fix.

21. lucky1

lucky1 TRIBE Member

we never did the long term fix and lived in our house for 12 years. If you know you have roots or a coroded main or whatever you can be mindful (not a lot of paper, or lady things or condoms.. heheh oops got in trouble for that one wehen I still lived there...down the toilet) and live with it.

22. Jennika

Jennika TRIBE Member

hey Jake,

call me at work. I may have a recomendation for you.

23. aether

aether TRIBE Member

I just used roto-rooter at my last place and billed it to the homeowner. The problem is the people who put the bathroom in the basement apartment were idiots and shunted pipe into the floor drainage. Roots would grow in, which'd have to be removed. The shower and the toilet were both directly hooked to the same drainage pipe which was another no-no. In the most amazing happenstance, the pipe plugged up with roots, then my housemate flushed the toilet on the second floor, and BLAMMO! shit in the shower. I totally recommend investing whatever money it takes to fix it. Seems to be a pretty common problem in rennovated houses. My landlord chose to just pull out the roots each time, and at $200 a pop, it adds up, plus you're going to have to fix things properly at some point if you leave it, and by then it might not be pretty.

24. catilyst

catilyst TRIBE Member

First thing a smart plumber would check is to see if the drains coming from the sink and shower are vented. Alot of basements are finished very cheaply and by people who don't know what they're doing and leave out venting drains. If they are unvented the symptons you describe occur. If this is the problem it shouldn't cost much to fix.

If the drains are clogged or rooted that's another story.