• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Need a hookup --- FRANK GEHRY tickets

madnezz

TRIBE Member
Does anyone have a couple spare tickets to the public talk with Frank Gehry next WEdnesday the 28th??

It sold out already, even though there were 1300 seats and its at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre.

If anyone knows of some way to get two people in, with press passes or regular tickets or SOMETHING, I'll definetly buy you a couple drinks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks in advance,
Laura

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Laura, let me ask my architecture friends because I am sure that they have to attend just like how I have to attend Burtynsky's tour tomorrow and Serrano next month.

I have a few contacts I can ask... ICQ me tonight!

cosmiK-Cat

TRIBE Member
It sold out???
Wow. Watch for tix on the the college radio stations, I guess...or mebbe it'll be simulcast somewhere-hmm- gonna go look into that..
-J

ian

TRIBE Member
I didn't even hear about this even though the date he announces his plans is in my calander :mad: :mad: :mad:

-ian g.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

tommysmalls

TRIBE Member
for those that are interested in checking out the new design, there will be a free open house to check out the evolution of the design models on fri jan 30 - sun feb 1...

...not the same as attending the master himself presenting his first ever design on his home turf.

*sigh*

-tommy

tommysmalls

TRIBE Member
this is going to be interesting though since this time around he doesn't have a clean slate to work with...although his words are a little less inspiring

“I want this to be as good as anything I’ve ever done,” - FOG.

...i'm so excited i'm tearing my hair out...but this is coming from a guy who actually likes the Alsop's OCAD addition...

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Oh, I hear the OCAD building is being praised all over the place.

Gehry's addition to the ROM is quite... ambitious.

tommysmalls

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MoFo
Oh, I hear the OCAD building is being praised all over the place.

true enough - the peeps at ocad don't seem so enthused, but the architecture faculty and students at U of T are enjoying the radical design...

personally, i'm not sure about alsop's trademark white/black facade, but i love the elevated tabletop which will open up grange park onto McCaul. just imagine how amazing the views onto the park and the skyline will be from the new studio spaces!!

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Here are my beefs:

Construction was so loud that we can't hear any of our lectures. And our critiques are often interrupted by jackhammering. Why they didn't do any of this in the summer is beyond me.

The building casts this huge shadow on McCaul. It's fucking cold already and we really enjoyed sitting in the sun in the winter. And getting some light in the summer as well.

The black and white is really ugly.

The coloured poles are going to be vandalized and the paint is already being chipped and scratched by construction.

The ugly purple awning which looks like Grimace taking a drunken nap in front of the orange doors is going to be so annoying to walk around and it does nothing for the front.

The art wings are not getting much of a redo and while the design students are going to have stellar studio spaces, photography is lacking in repairs and equipment, IM is being moved and phased out, printmaking has NO air circulation which is potentially harzardous to one's health. They might as well name that wing "Cancer South Wing B." Sculpture is still going to be stuck down in the basement. And every department needs more stuff. Without stuff, we cannot work. Tuitions are going up, people are not getting jobs and classes are tight, we don't have a Dean. Meanwhile, all they can talk about is this stupid building.

We don't have a lounge anymore. We had a courtyard before and now it's gone.

We had a in-house gallery space that was lit by natural light. Let's hope the new one will surpass everyone's expectations.

Dust and little bits of waste are flying everywhere from the construction because of the high winter winds. We stand outside inhaling all this crap.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by madnezz
sunny--- that would be FANTASTIC....
Laura, I asked. It's a no-go. Apologies.

They're not even going because and I quote, "he's silly anyways. Every building is the exact same solution...Pure signature building style."

tommysmalls

TRIBE Member
The art wings are not getting much of a redo and while the design students are going to have stellar studio spaces, photography is lacking in repairs and equipment, IM is being moved and phased out, printmaking has NO air circulation which is potentially harzardous to one's health. They might as well name that wing "Cancer South Wing B." Sculpture is still going to be stuck down in the basement. And every department needs more stuff. Without stuff, we cannot work. Tuitions are going up, people are not getting jobs and classes are tight, we don't have a Dean. Meanwhile, all they can talk about is this stupid building.

you raise some quality beefs here. it seems awfully shortsighted to of them to create this expansion which leaves a large portion of the programs in duress. but hey, it's all about 'the image', right. ;)

cosmiK-Cat

TRIBE Member
Go team image

Here are my beefs:

TWithout stuff, we cannot work. Tuitions are going up, people are not getting jobs and classes are tight, we don't have a Dean. Meanwhile, all they can talk about is this stupid building.

oh, but think of all the wistfull pained artist stuff you can create from this experience ;)
-J

ian

TRIBE Member
Gehry's addition to the ROM is quite... ambitious.

My 2 cents:

I think OCAD's new design rocks. I also notice it does not overshadow the park which was the main concern. Who gives a shit if it casts a shadow on a already tight street?

Also, I think you may have the wrong architect. Daniel Libeskind is doing the ROM.

-ian g.

ian

TRIBE Member
^^^^^^
Oh, and to keep this on topic. I am super excited for the announcement, but I wish they allowed him to level the old and build the new. Regardless, we should take what we can.

-ian g.