• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Nearly All Abortions banned in South Dakota

VinylRach

TRIBE Promoter
Just got an update from Cnn.com but i can't pull up the article for some reason....dcan anyone find it? This is completely fucked.

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
Are you sure about this? Or did they just move a law that will get struck down in a month or so by their supreme court?

Skipper

TRIBE Member
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/03/06/sd.abortionban.ap/index.html

PIERRE, South Dakota (AP) -- Governor Mike Rounds on Monday signed legislation banning almost all abortions in South Dakota.

The Legislature passed the ban late last month, focusing nationwide interest on Rounds as he decided what to do about the measure.

It was designed as a direct challenge to Roe v. Wade, the 1973 U.S. Supreme Court decision that legalized abortion in the United States.

The legislation, scheduled to take effect July 1, says doctors in South Dakota will face up to five years in prison for performing an abortion. The only exception is for women who need abortions to save their lives.

Rounds issued a technical veto of a similar measure two years ago because it would have wiped out all existing restrictions on abortion while the bill was tied up for years in a court challenge.

South Dakota Planned Parenthood said it planned a quick court challenge.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

VinylRach

TRIBE Promoter
South Dakota governor signs abortion ban
Nearly all operations outlawed in direct challenge to Roe v. Wade
EXCLUSIVELY ON MSNBC.COM
• Click here for Daryl Cagle political cartoons
• Click here for the best political blogs

Most Popular
• Most Viewed • Top Rated • Most E-mailed

• Those big stars just don’t get Jon Stewart
• Police question bouncer in student’s murder
• Top court backs college military recruiting law
• ‘Crash’ a surprise winner for best picture
• Study: Child obesity expected to soar worldwide
• Most viewed on MSNBC.com
• Watchdog: What Ever Happened to the Civil Liberties Board?
• Separating Fact From Fantasy
• ‘Fairly large’ oil spill reported in Alaska
• Hummingbirds: small brains, long memories
• Senate panel rejects ethics, lobbying watchdog
• Study: Child obesity expected to soar worldwide
• 14-year-old dies after choking game
• Penguin book moved from children’s section
• Those big stars just don’t get Jon Stewart
• Hummingbirds: small brains, long memories

RSS FEEDS ON MSNBC.COM
Add these headlines to your news reader

• Political News
• Learn more about RSS
BREAKING NEWS

Updated: 1:43 p.m. ET March 6, 2006
PIERRE, S.D. - Gov. Mike Rounds signed legislation Monday banning almost all abortions in South Dakota, a move designed to directly challenge Roe v. Wade, the 1973 U.S. Supreme Court decision that legalized abortion.

Under the new law, to take effect July 1, doctors in South Dakota will face up to five years in prison if they perform an abortion unless they can show the procedure is necessary to save the woman’s life.

source: msnbc.com

kmac

TRIBE Member
Note to self: Do not get knocked up in South Dakota (or North Dakota either, just to be on the safe side).

Gizmo

TRIBE Member
Mississippi Governer is considering doing the same thing.

They want the ruling to be challenged in the Supreme Court, as with the appointment of Alito to replace Sandra Day Connor on the SC, this gives religious conservatives probably the best chance to defeat Roe vs. Wade since it was implemented.

Gizmo

TRIBE Member
While definitely some people want abortions deemed illegal, a lot of campaigners against Roe vs. Wade in the States are anti it because it altered the US constitution (it said stopping abortions violated a constitutional right to privacy) when it was passed. Opposition to Roe comes primarily from those who viewed the Court's decision as illegitimate for straying too far from the text and history of the Constitution in addition to the Religious parties who classify it as murder.

The people arguing it from the anti-constitutional angle want Roe vs. Wade to be overturned and the situation reversed to what it was before the ruling. Where it was upto individual states to allow abortions. They aren't anti-abortions per se, although being on the same side as Religious people who deem it as murder for 30+ years means the lines have probably become blurred over the years.

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
SlipperyPete said:
...if it makes it to the Supreme Court don't be so sure that it'll get struck down.
The state's supreme court will strike it down. Every few months it seems that another state legislature is passing laws like these to pay lipservice to the prolifers, with full knowledge that it will not pass.

VinylRach

TRIBE Promoter
Although i'm strongly pro-choice, i can see the religious point of view, but i mean if you dont think its right, dont do it. You shouldn't make decisions for everyone.

quantumize

TRIBE Member
VinylRach said:
that is so fucked. Are women not going to be able to vote next?
nobodys voting in yankee doodle town. lowest voter turnout i can remember.

hiow low does voter turnout have to get before you can question legitimation of a government?? [it had dipped below the 50 % mark in the 1996 election and it is now just slightly above 50 percent]

Last edited:

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
quantumize said:
nobodys voting in yankee doodle town. lowest voter turnout i can remember.

hiow low does voter turnout have to get before you can question legitimation of a government??
about as low as the Toronto Mayor elections.

quantumize

TRIBE Member
VinylRach said:
Although i'm strongly pro-choice, i can see the religious point of view, but i mean if you dont think its right, dont do it. You shouldn't make decisions for everyone.
i wont even state if i'm for it or against it, but I agree the descision to abort [or not to abort] is a personal one, and thus I will oppose any law banning abortion.

Gizmo

TRIBE Member
VinylRach said:
That's exactly the argument the Consitution angle arguers against Roe v. Wade are making. That the government should not have the right to make abortions mandatory in all States.

VinylRach

TRIBE Promoter
Well shouldn't it be up to the doctor preforming the abortion and the Woman who is deciding whether to get it or not? Its my body. Not some governments.

Gizmo

TRIBE Member
That would be my personal view on the subject. That it should be an individual right without any Govt. influence. However, if in order to guarantee that right, you need the influence of the govt. in the first place, it creates a legal loophole that people will argue against.

On the other end of the spectrum, some nut bar Dutch Politician wanted mandatory abortions in certain Dutch colonies last week as it would reduce crime in her view.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders