• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

nat-gas heating costs?

kuba

TRIBE Member
I'm trying to get a sense of what your winter bills have been if you have natural gas in your house.

Anyone have any clue what you pay per month, and how big is your house?

Vise

TRIBE Member
Mine can be anywhere from $150-$200 or more per month depending on the weather outside. I could check my latest bills when I get home if you're interested... thats for a 3 storey plus finished basement semi-detached (total of approx. 1800sq ft). Mind you the furnace is old (over 20 years) so I'm sure its not that efficient.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
90 - 150 a month

this past month was 155 but it has been pretty cold and I have my heat set on 23

kuba

TRIBE Member
I don't get it. My bills have been (so far)

100, 200, 450, 550, 750, and the next one probably 500. That's $216/month on average, for the year

if I had natural gas, the bills wouldn't spike up and down as much, but they would be ABOUT $200-250/month anyways.

so why the stigma against electric-heated houses?

(more a rhetorical question but if anybody is inclined to answer this ever-boring topic,..)

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

Vise

TRIBE Member
Hmm... well when I was looking my agent firmly recommended against buying a place with baseboards. It was mostly due to the winter heating costs spiking up so dramatically, but he also said it can be harder to resell in the future. Plus in some cases it can be a fire hazard (ie. if they are older baseboard heaters).

One thing to keep in mind is that my gas bills only go up during the really cold months... I can average $50 per month during the summer and $75-80 during the spring/fall. It is only for about 4 months or so that the bills are $150 or more... on average over the year my gas bill is likely in the $85-90/month range on top of $80-100/month for hydro (not taking a/c into account).

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
kuba said:
Electric heating is less efficient than natural gas heating.

When you turn on an electric heater during a cold winter day, you are using electricity that is being generated hundreds of miles away by burning coal or natural gas. Combustion of coal or natural gas to turn a turbine to generate electricity wastes a lot of the heat energy contained in these fuels. Also, a lot of the electricity is wasted as it passes through long transmission lines to your home.

If you just burn the natural gas directly in your home to produce heat, you avoid all of this lost energy.

technowelt

TRIBE Member
I am on the plan that estimates your usage and spreads it out over the year (can't remember what it is called). I pay about $50/month for gas, but I have a very small house (about 700 sq feet).

I think another reason that baseboard heaters are less attractive to some people is because it is very expensive (if even possible) to install the ductwork needed for forced air and CAC.

My new house has radiant heat.. I am not really sure what to expect.

Re: Shoe

TRIBE Member
kuba said:
If your house has electric baseboard heat, then chances are you don't have the ducting necessary to support other HVAC technology such as central air conditioning, humidification, filtration, heat recovery ventilation, etc.

edit: sorry technowelt just saw that you said this too

My gas bills are averaging out around $200/mo; includes hot water and the occasional steak on the bbq.

jmaggs

TRIBE Member
My last one was around 500$, which is the most it's ever been. I think it's a combination of BBQing 2-3 times/week, the cold weather we had, plus using the gas fireplace. The few months before that it was around $200-250. I'm hoping this month is better!

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
Re: Shoe said:
If your house has electric baseboard heat, then chances are you don't have the ducting necessary to support other HVAC technology such as central air conditioning, humidification, filtration, heat recovery ventilation, etc.
This is very key. When I lived in a house with baseboard heating the main problem was air circulation. In the summer, in a gas heated house, you can turn a fan on to circulate the air. While this was no a/c, it did have the effect of moving cool basement air upstairs and generally keeping everything somewhat comfortable. In the baseboard heated house, in the summer the hot air just stagnated in the rooms. With the windows open (or closed!) and fans on the net result was that the fans just blew around hot air and produced little or no cooling effect. It was awful.

junglisthead

TRIBE Member
i go on a equal billing plan

112 bucks a month throughout the year, (3 bedroom, 2 story house in snowbelt region (barrie)) that way i know my bill and can balance my budget better

junglisthead

TRIBE Member
soulbrother 10 said:
This winter it's averaging around $500 per month for my drafty old house. Brutal.
well do minor repairs then, that will lower your bill dramatically

i can promise you that the amount you pay to fix your house will be alot cheaper, than forking that much out per month

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
10 Years ago (even 5 Years ago) Natural Gas didn't cost nearly as much as it does now which is why a lot of people get all wonky about electric. I think I'd still go with Natural Gas though. Just a personal choice... till something better comes along.