• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Narnia and Jesus

Gunark

TRIBE Member
What is all this shit about Narnia being a jesus movie? I read the book when I was like 12, and I don't remember there being any creepy jesus connotations. Then again I don't really remember anything about it, other than i kind of sort of liked it.

Please explain.

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
the Lion who created the land of narnia, represents the second coming of christ and saves everyone from the something something

Stormshadow

TRIBE Member
A mouse pulled a thorn out of the Narnia lion's paw, so he turned all his mice buddies' water into wine so they could have a party.

Or something.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
Google Narnia+Christian allegory or C.S. Lewis+religion. I don't think it's as overt as some people want to make it, but in the movie they say stuff like "sons of Adam" and "daughters of Eve."

dr. claw

I find the controversy surrounding the Narnia/Christian thing bizarre- loads of books and movies have biblical allusions (Cain and Abel, Tower of Babel, Judas, etc.)

Nobody seemed to get too prickly over the Seinfeld episode imitating the story of King Solomon and the two mothers (Kramer, Elaine both want a bike, Newman proposes to cut it in two and give both halves to each and ends up giving bike to Kramer, who'd rather sacrifice bike than see it mutilated)

KiX

TRIBE Member
c.s lewis is totally hardcore christian, and as far as i know and certainly learned in sunday school, the LWW books were forsure written as a symbolism of the jesus sacrifice thing.

he's got lots of other books that are less subtle in their attempts to metaphorically depict christian values and beliefs in otherwise ficticious tales (the Great Divorce, for one)

=tina=

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Stormshadow

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by dr. claw
Nobody seemed to get too prickly over the Seinfeld episode imitating the story of King Solomon and the two mothers (Kramer, Elaine both want a bike, Newman proposes to cut it in two and give both halves to each and ends up giving bike to Kramer, who'd rather sacrifice bike than see it mutilated)
It's because Jews have a sense of humour about religion etc., Christians...not so much.

FC St. Pauli

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by rejenerate
Google Narnia+Christian allegory or C.S. Lewis+religion. I don't think it's as overt as some people want to make it, but in the movie they say stuff like "sons of Adam" and "daughters of Eve."
how could it be any more overt??

some people? some people lilke C.S. Lewis? it was his stated goal in writing the books

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by KiX
c.s lewis is totally hardcore christian, and as far as i know and certainly learned in sunday school, the LWW books were forsure written as a symbolism of the jesus sacrifice thing.

he's got lots of other books that are less subtle in their attempts to metaphorically depict christian values and beliefs in otherwise ficticious tales (the Great Divorce, for one)

=tina=
you beat me to it, tina

KiX

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by R4V4G3D_SKU11S
you beat me to it, tina
yeah i didn't think there was any question about the christian references. the story of aslan is totally paralell to the story of jesus.... plus his other books are quite blantantly christian too. i've read he wanted to bring the story to kids in a way that would excite them and intrigue them beyond cheesy bible stories.

=tina=

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
i read the entire chronicles of narnia series again a few months ago.
the symbolism in the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is not that hardcore, but as the series progresses, it becomes clearer and clearer that Aslan is a Jesus figure.
a few other exampes:
-as tina said, the children are called the sons of adam and the daughters of eve
-aslan saves edmund by basically dying for his sins, he wears what amounts to a crown of thorns, and is then resurrected.
-only people who believe in aslan can see him. when the older girl stops believing in aslan, she is not allowed to return to narnia with the others.
-in the end, aslan destroys all of narnia and welcomes all the people who are good and pure into the "real" narnia, which is obviously an allegory for heaven, where anything is possible and everything is perfect.

i could go on but i am sure you get the gist.

the queen of narnia is not human but lilith. It goes on about her from quite some time in the book. I skipped it when reading it to students. The son of adam stuff is laid on a bit thick as well.

I never thought about the lion references but yes -- Aslan does resurrect himself.
Do they call the kids sons of adam and daughters of eve in the movie???

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
what are you referring to re: the queen of narnia? do you mean the ice queen?

also, c.s. lewis made it very clear that he had no qualms about using works of fiction to bring the bible to children.

thankfully he packaged them in such a way that even a little jewish kid like myself could enjoy the books and not even notice any jesus mumbo-jumbo.

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by FC St. Pauli
how could it be any more overt??
By using actual Biblical characters instead of talking lions and British children? Like Booty Bits said, they can be read and enjoyed on their own as fantasy novels, without seeming overly religious. You don't have to understand or accept the Xian overtones to read them.

some people? some people lilke C.S. Lewis? it was his stated goal in writing the books
No, people that are actually alive who are either upset by this new film adaptation or wanting to push it as Xian propaganda.

FC St. Pauli

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by rejenerate
By using actual Biblical characters instead of talking lions and British children? Like Booty Bits said, they can be read and enjoyed on their own as fantasy novels, without seeming overly religious. You don't have to understand or accept the Xian overtones to read them.

Um, with actual Biblical characters it would no longer be an allegory (??)

Yes, and I read and enjoyed them in just that way.

No, people that are actually alive who are either upset by this new film adaptation or wanting to push it as Xian propaganda.
What people with a lame agenda push or don't push has nothing to do with how overt the allegory is.

wayne kenoff

TRIBE Member
next thing you're gonna tell me is that Animal Farm is an allegory. It's clearly a story of a bunch of talking farm animals.

Gunark

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by KiX

=tina=
alright but [controversial statement]being hardcore christian is not a bad thing in itself[/controversial statement]. I mean it's kind of hard to argue that at least the positive commandments in christianity are pretty good advice (the "do's", or "beattitudes" or whatever)... "love they neighbour", do "onto others as they'd do onto you", etc.

So I don't understand the shitstorm in the media right now. If the movie was anti-gay, or pro-pedophelia, or pro-theocracy, or somethign, I could see the controversy. But wtf?