• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Narcos (Netflix)

alexd

Administrator
Staff member

Netflix does it again! I am at episode 3 and it is really very good. Nice gritty documentary/diary styling.

Props for period track selection - not many know metal disco track Bustin' Out by Nona Hendryx but it went perfect in the first episode...

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
yeah first two eps were absolutely fantastic.

Actor playing Pablo Escobar is a Brazilian actor i first saw in Tropa de Elite 1&2 haha

then another movie called The Middle of the World.

Wagner Moura is really doing some great work.

Illogistix

TRIBE Member
Watched the first two - definitely enjoying it. Only issue is there is a bit too much narration but other than that - very cool!

While we are on the topic of trafficking - anyone read Mr. Nice? It's the best book about drug trafficking, hilarious story about a Welsh guy who became the biggest drug dealer in the world in the 60s, 70s. There is a movie by the same name but it's not that good. Read the book!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
Watched the first two - definitely enjoying it. Only issue is there is a bit too much narration but other than that - very cool!

While we are on the topic of trafficking - anyone read Mr. Nice? It's the best book about drug trafficking, hilarious story about a Welsh guy who became the biggest drug dealer in the world in the 60s, 70s. There is a movie by the same name but it's not that good. Read the book!
i read mr nice when i was in amsterdam
the movie sucks large

i remember an ocen liner loaded with hash getting busted inside Canadian waters in the early 90's, turns out it was his :(

will def check out this show, only heard good things

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
I have been trying to watch the premiere via an apple TV box, but can't get the effing subtitles to work

/first world problems

Karim

TRIBE Member
3 Episodes in. Had to forcibly stop watching or else my fiancé and I would have been up all night. Great show!

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
So happy this is subtitled and they actually speak spanish.

Does anyone think it's odd that they sent a DEA agent who doesn't speak spanish in the first place and then it doesn't seem like he even learned the language while he was there? I mean even being a DEA agent in Miami I assume you would have to speak spanish.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone think it's odd that they sent a DEA agent who doesn't speak spanish in the first place and then it doesn't seem like he even learned the language while he was there?
From my experience as a kid going to Interrnational schools in Africa, most of the Americans stationed in a country (Embassy, Military, CIA etc) never learned the local language and couldn't be bothered to learn. They brought everything with them too - food, cars, movie nights at the American clubs etc. They totally live in their own USA world. I suspect they still do this...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
I finished the series this weekend. It was very good. The Goodfellas comparisons are obvious, especially with the use of narration and other storytelling methods.

The actor playing Escobar is very good, and I was glad to see The Viper from GoT as Pena.

I'm not quite sure who, if anyone, we should be rooting for in this show. The good guys aren't charismatic enough. Escobar has some good qualities, but it's harder to root for him than it was for fictional mobsters like Michael/Vito Corleone, Tony Soprano and the Goodfellas, as Escobar did things like blow up an entire airplane of innocent passengers in a failed attempt to assassinate the Colombian President.

I wonder if there will be a Season 2 and, if so, how much of it will feature Escobar, as the events of Season 1 end about a year before Escobar's death.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
It is amazing how close this guy got to becoming El Presidente of Colombia! If he wasn't so psychotic it might have happened...

Karim

TRIBE Member
Just finished ep 10. Amazing show. I was enthralled the entire time. Fascinating story. I know a lot of it is fiction, but even some of the factual events are stranger than fiction. Crazy how much of a failed state Colombia was...