• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Nanny on payroll

kuba

TRIBE Member
Don't you think you're kinda stupid for having to go on a rave message board to either save money by hiring your nanny as an employee or to look for a nanny on payroll?

On a related note, Fran Drescher was not on payroll.

don't you think you're kind of fucking stupid to even ask this question? did you read what I asked? no. carry on then.

kuba

TRIBE Member
Still not understanding the burden and poor me i need a nanny.

Let's be realistic lots of family's, with lots of different family dynamics. Don't have a nanny.
It's a yuppie accessory. Hey if you got it flaunt it. But own it. Yeah I can afford a nanny so I have one. Don't give me this quality of life shit or how ever could a couple with all their work be able to cope without one.

If you can afford the Lincoln Navigator and the BMW Sedan. You leave him them both in the driveway for people to see. You don't stick one in the garage and kind of feel embarrassed that you are a two car family. Because the husband works on the subway line and the stay at home mom might need to drive up the street to the Pusateri's.

People are different some want a nanny some don't. But again don't cry a river about needing one because the quality of life would change with out it.
you are such a fucking idiot you know that? I was merely giving you my point of view, I wasn't looking down on you for choosing not to have or not being able to afford a nanny. fuck, do you think I can afford it? barely, and just barely. I'm also not crying about qualify of life changing, I'm saying I don't want it to mostly for the benefit of the single most important person in my life - my kid. Sure he wouldn't be able to tell the difference if he lived in a shithole or here (til later), and sure he'd LOVE his parents to be there for him 24/7 but we can't (or in your little fucked up world, we choose to work instead of being there for him 24x7). I don't want to have a nanny but my kid was TOO YOUNG to go to daycare as my wife went back to work TWO MONTHS after we had the kid. Find me a day care where we can drop a TWO MONTH kid off, can you? NO? ok then shutthefuckup. Why did she CHOOSE to go back two months after? Because she's part owner with her mom and they've worked their asses off to get their product on people and guess what, I don't have to apologize to anyone for that, that they have passion for what they do and that they work hard at it.

I don't care about what lots of other families do live with or without, I care about the payroll deductions for my nanny because I'm lucky enough to barely afford one and that's why I was asking.

Zorro

TRIBE Member
you are such a fucking idiot you know that? I was merely giving you my point of view, I wasn't looking down on you for choosing not to have or not being able to afford a nanny. fuck, do you think I can afford it? barely, and just barely. I'm also not crying about qualify of life changing, I'm saying I don't want it to mostly for the benefit of the single most important person in my life - my kid. Sure he wouldn't be able to tell the difference if he lived in a shithole or here (til later), and sure he'd LOVE his parents to be there for him 24/7 but we can't (or in your little fucked up world, we choose to work instead of being there for him 24x7). I don't want to have a nanny but my kid was TOO YOUNG to go to daycare as my wife went back to work TWO MONTHS after we had the kid. Find me a day care where we can drop a TWO MONTH kid off, can you? NO? ok then shutthefuckup. Why did she CHOOSE to go back two months after? Because she's part owner with her mom and they've worked their asses off to get their product on people and guess what, I don't have to apologize to anyone for that, that they have passion for what they do and that they work hard at it.

I don't care about what lots of other families do live with or without, I care about the payroll deductions for my nanny because I'm lucky enough to barely afford one and that's why I was asking.
First off, no need to apologize for making money and being successful. That was never ever the point I made.

2nd I never said anything about being there 24x7.

Good got that out of the way.....

.....You're still crying about having a nanny, like it's a burden. That's all I'm saying.
I could careless if you do or don't have one. But don't cry because you earn the right to have that accessory. You earned it good on you.

But please, please don't say it's a nanny or living in a shit hole. Or only a 2 bedroom apartment and changing your quality of life. If you can afford the nanny you are far from you Flemingdon Park roots. Come on man your smarter then that. Or I least I think you are.

Your line about, it must be nice no really I mean that. To NOT have a nanny is so backwards in this discussion.

Remember there are more single and even two parent family's that work just as hard and as many hours as you and your wife or others. That are self employed or not that struggle to just get that low shitty quality of life that you have standardized.

Cheers douchbag :D

Last edited:

octo

TRIBE Member
just to add fuel to the fire...kuba posted in the fine automobile thread that he wants his next car to be a bmw. BUT he can barely afford a nanny :p

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
Zorro you sound like a maniac. What do you know about the pros and cons of childcare in his neighborhood; availabilitites or associated costs. Nanny, infant care, paying his mother-in law, whatever. It hardly sounded like he was poor-me'ing about a stupid nanny for his baby or asking on how he can smuggle a nanny onboard his flight to Marseilles...you were the one that pulled that outta nowhere. Sounds like for him and his family a live in nanny is the best option. Why are you so adamant that he hasn't explored all the amazing non bourgeois options you so clearly think he should take advantage of?
Out of curiosity what did you do with your children for childcare?

sk8

TRIBE Member
I know a few people with nannies. Daycares are open usually 7-6, the rare one a bit later. If you have a job outside of that (say - pilot, TV, film, cop, shift worker, self employed, etc) it can be difficult to find outside the house help.

Plus with multiple children it can actually be cheaper to get a nanny than put multiple kids in daycare. If you have the space live-in nannies make a lot of sense.

When I was little we had nannies from England. Both my parents worked in TV/film and had odd, unpredictable hours. Our nannies were young girls looking for a job in Canada - they were awesome. I still saw my parents lots - but often during the day, they worked a lot of nights when it would have been really hard to find childcare.

Zorro

TRIBE Member
Just so we are all clear. I really don't care if he has a nanny or not. That has never ever been my point in. And I hope there is no need to quote everytime I have said that in this thread.

My two cents. I don't get the whole live in nanny deal. Imma raise our own kid kind of guy.
Started with this quote. Just stating a personal preference. But in no way knocking having a nanny.

Then

that's nice.
no, really.
good for you.
I wish I could afford to do this but realistically I can't. sure I could move into a 2 bed apartment and sacrifice quality of life, but I don't want to. therefore I do what I have to.

my wife runs her family business, it would be nearly impossible to turn her back on it. I run my own too to a degree, and I couldn't replace the income PLUS the working hours working 9-5 and having her stay home.
so we made the choice we made, and in an ideal world, I agree 100%. too bad this isn't 1960 though.
It hardly sounded like he was poor-me'ing you were the one that pulled that outta nowhere. Why are you so adamant that he hasn't explored all the amazing non bourgeois options you so clearly think he should take advantage of?
Sounds more to like he is a Kardashian complaining about the paparazzi following him.

Hopefully explained for the last time. You got a nanny good on ya. But having a nanny and raising your kid in a low/poor quality of life are from close.

In other news Rob Ford seems to think there are to many wading pools in the downtown core and should shut some of them down to save the city money. This coming from the guy who's riding has one of the most outdoor ice rinks in the city.

Zorro

TRIBE Member
I know a few people with nannies. Daycares are open usually 7-6, the rare one a bit later. If you have a job outside of that (say - pilot, TV, film, cop, shift worker, self employed, etc) it can be difficult to find outside the house help.

Plus with multiple children it can actually be cheaper to get a nanny than put multiple kids in daycare. If you have the space live-in nannies make a lot of sense.

When I was little we had nannies from England. Both my parents worked in TV/film and had odd, unpredictable hours. Our nannies were young girls looking for a job in Canada - they were awesome. I still saw my parents lots - but often during the day, they worked a lot of nights when it would have been really hard to find childcare.

That's lovely. Sounds like it was a nice childhood.

Thank god you had those nannies or you might have had to grow up in regent park.

kuba

TRIBE Member
just to add fuel to the fire...kuba posted in the fine automobile thread that he wants his next car to be a bmw. BUT he can barely afford a nanny :p
key word

and then I posted I drive an affordable practical JETTA

see the difference here?

kuba

TRIBE Member
Zorro, it's simple math.

If myself or my wife can't work, then we can't afford this home and child care, then we can probably only afford to rent in this city OR buy something in a not-so-great 'hood. Therefore although it's a stretch to say shithole 2 bed apartment, compared to what we have worked hard to obtain, it would be a downgrade. The fact is because both of us do work then we can afford this home in this crazy expensive market, and, a nanny. However when my account (now it turns out) made a mistake and told me it was $2200 per month because he ADDED room and board to the gross vs deducting it, I realized "fuck me, I can't afford this" therefore asked for help (and got it) about the taxes.

Have you ever worked for yourself or have you and your wife always worked for someone else? See cuz you get things like MAT LEAVE, and BENEFITS, if you've always worked for someone else. We don't. So it all gets added to the mix as to affordability, costs of living, etc.

sk8

TRIBE Member
That's lovely. Sounds like it was a nice childhood.

Thank god you had those nannies or you might have had to grow up in regent park.
Actually it was Parkdale. It was cheaper to have someone live-in than it was to get babysitters every night.

And yes, thanks, it was a lovely childhood.

Zorro

TRIBE Member
See that doesnt come of so much like the poor me i need a nanny. Like your first reply to me.

2200? Wowzers.

Guess my next question would be are you ever afraid you're pushing the limits of your means. Trying to live the American dream like so many of those 2 car suburban familys that got hit hard a few years back?

It's a circle right? In order to work hard and afford the nicer house on the block and the nice cars you need to work more so you can afford a nanny and in order to afford thr nanny you need to work more?

Simply a question for discussion not an attack.

Zorro

TRIBE Member
Actually it was Parkdale. It was cheaper to have someone live-in than it was to get babysitters every night.

And yes, thanks, it was a lovely childhood.
Lol. Touche!

To be fair. I did say regent park.

There is Dowling St. Parkdale and then there are streets like Close in parkdale.

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
All incorporating does is absolve the individual from liability if something goes wrong, i.e. you would sue the corporation not the individual. they all operate similar to one another in the business realm when it comes to operations, employees etc. There are some other benefits but not worth discussing i.e. taxation, income splitting etc but in most instances it's done to address liability concerns and in some cases is tied to the growth of the business as to when they would incorporate (increased revenues, employee base etc).

A sole proprietor can write off business and some personal expenses that would qualify (home office etc), they can have as many people on payroll as they want. Either a sole proprietor, partnership or group could incorporate, an incorporated business usually has no owner instead they have shareholders and a board of directors.
So incorp does not have owner for liability issues, right?
Wow, I really had it all wrong. :( Thank you very much, it's definitely much clearer now.