• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

name a movie...that is BETTER than the book

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Wow you opened a can of worms with Lord of the Rings.

The movie, though good, is clearly not better.

Persephone

TRIBE Member
I'd have to agree with boss hog on LOTR.

I honestly cannot think of a movie that was better than the book. Most cases I know of are a glaring contrast (ie the Bourne Identity).

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Shawshank is one of those movies I can watch on TBS over and over and over again. Love that movie. Never read the book, but I'm thinking the movie did it pretty good justice.

zorak

TRIBE Member
pretty much every single movie based on a jane austen novel. especially "mansfield park". the movie rocks, the book is boringtown USA.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
It's hard to think of anything. Movies and books are a completely different form of entertainment, and tell stories in different ways.

Books have the luxury of spending as much time explaining something as they like, whereas movies have to do it in (sometimes silly) expository ways that can take away from the story telling experience.

For instance: the battle scenes in Lord of the Rings which are explained in great, gory detail in the books are only a rapid series of sometimes vague events in the movie. I'm thinking specifically about the heads being catapulted.... :)

That's why I'd say you'd be hard to find a movie that was better than the book... unless the book really sucked. In which case it shouldn't be made to a movie anyway.

kuba

TRIBE Member
cheesy, i know, but the firm was an OK cheesy movie, and the book was cheesy but the movie was a little less cheesy

or am i on crack?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

bombthreat23

TRIBE Member
Boss Hog said:
It's hard to think of anything. Movies and books are a completely different form of entertainment, and tell stories in different ways.

Books have the luxury of spending as much time explaining something as they like, whereas movies have to do it in (sometimes silly) expository ways that can take away from the story telling experience.

For instance: the battle scenes in Lord of the Rings which are explained in great, gory detail in the books are only a rapid series of sometimes vague events in the movie. I'm thinking specifically about the heads being catapulted.... :)

That's why I'd say you'd be hard to find a movie that was better than the book... unless the book really sucked. In which case it shouldn't be made to a movie anyway.
agreed with your general points...but look at something like Stand By Me..the idea was there and the movie just expanded on it, and took it in a few different directions.

ginsu

TRIBE Member
^ while I agree Bourne Identity was way better than the movie (which I did like), I was really disapointed with Bourne Supremecy (book) but not the movie.

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
I think the director's cut of "Blade Runner" is better than the book (I am a massive fan of [insert joke here] Phillip K Dick btw)

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
bombthreat23 said:
agreed with your general points...but look at something like Stand By Me..the idea was there and the movie just expanded on it, and took it in a few different directions.

It's not hard to make a Stephen King movie better than the book. ;)

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
JEMZ said:
I think the director's cut of "Blade Runner" is better than the book (I am a massive fan of [insert joke here] Phillip K Dick btw)

I saw them as almost completely different. Same as Running Man by Stephen King, which is probably the worst movie I've seen (though I loved the book, which is way different).

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
But seriously, someone needs to remake Running Man and base it more on the book. So much good movie potential there.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
i saw the movie and read the book when i was pretty young, but i think i remember enjoying the movie version of The Colour Purple more than the book.
i think Nick Hornby books make great movies (except both versions of Fever Pitch) though i would always choose the books over the movies anyway.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
Booty Bits said:
i think Nick Hornby books make great movies (except both versions of Fever Pitch) though i would always choose the books over the movies anyway.
HIGH FIDELITY the book > HIGH FIDELITY the movie

loved that book.

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
A Clockwork Orange. Mostly because at the end of the movie Kubrick chose not to sell out his character in the end like Burgess does in the book.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories