OK, without getting too technical or anything... What the scoop?
1. Does it work reliably?
2. What basic gear do I need to get started?
3. How many channels can I get?
As mentioned they are doing a card swap (all the hacks are based on the old card) which will be complete sometime this fall/winter. They may or may not break the new encryption, up to you if you want to get started now or wait it out.
1. Sonicview has been up since December. You can get a SV4000 box for about $120-$150 now. IF it does go down, it will be back within 12 hours. You upload fixes using a USB flash drive, they are plastered all over the web for free, it takes seconds.
2. You need a dish (a bell one works best) and a receiver. You need to find the 110 or 119 sats (or both) a signal finder and a guy who has done it before works for this. (I sell dishes on ebay for about fifty bucks)
3. With one dish, you get about three hundred channels, with both sats (110, 119) you will get double.
Ive had it for years, Ill never pay for television.