• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

mysterious occupied space on harddrive

jebac

TRIBE Member
ok so i have a 40 gig hard drive, which my comp recognizes as 37.2, which is fine i guess.

so i decided to see how much space i have left and how much is actually occupied... my free space is 13.9, my movies and videos and pictures are 10.7, my music is 7.4, my windows folder is 1.2 and my program files folder is 1.28, so when you add all that up its a total of 20.58, plus the 13.9 of my free space, the total is 34.48 which leaves 2.72 gigs of unaccounted space!

whats going on??

-jebac

kaniz

TRIBE Member
- temporary files?
- recycle bin full?
- do you have system restore on?
- did you do a search for 'hidden files'. ie: on my c:\ drive, there is a pagefile.sys (which is hidden), but takes up almost 1.6gigs

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Probably your swap file accounts for at least 1 GB. If you have 1 GB of RAM, you might have as much as 2 GB of swap space...

KodiaK

TRIBE Member
pssssssst

hard drives are never '40' gig like they say on the box.

basically the 37 gigs is what you get after you format your 40 gig hd.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Anakin

TRIBE Member
The reason why hard drives are not what they say on the box, is a math issue. When you read the box carefully, they say that 1 Gig = 1,000,000,000 bytes. Problem is that a computer Gig is not actually a base 10 number (divisible by 10), it is in fact 1,073,741,824 bytes. So when you take your 'marketing' bull crap number of 40,000,000,000 and divide it by 1,073,741,824 you get 37.25 Gigs.

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
So, if he wanted a larger C drive, how would he install that? Cause to reformat do you not need the orignal C drive? (I'm aware he could install another drive). :confused:

Redout

TRIBE Member
Aerius Zension said:
So, if he wanted a larger C drive, how would he install that? Cause to reformat do you not need the orignal C drive? (I'm aware he could install another drive). :confused:

say what?

He/she can add another hard drive anytime he/she wants.... he/she doesn't need to reformat if he/she choices not too.

jmaggs

TRIBE Member
Aerius Zension said:
If you're talking about increasing the size of the C: Partition, then yes, you would need to re-format/re-install Windows. Just boot from the Windows CD, and during the install, just delete the existing partitions (make sure you've backed up all data!), and re-allocate the space however you want. Either that or use a partition manager like Acrponis Partition Expert.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

kaniz

TRIBE Member
You could just get a new harddrive and set it up as a slave, and not need to re-format, then, use your current C: drive as your program/windows drive, then use the new drive to save all of your mp3s/movies/downloads/etc to.

All the handyness of a new HD, minus the hassle of having to do a re-install of everything.