• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

My rain barrel sprung a leak! How do I fix it?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I have a crack at the bottom of my nice plastic rain barrel. Now I know why it wasn't filling up properly. I didn't take the barrel indoors over the winter, but it was empty of water and I turned it upside down, thinking it would be OK. Maybe the weeks of extreme cold temperature cracked the plastic or something...

The crack is about 8 inches wide, but it is at the bottom of the rain barrel so the full water pressure of any water inside would be press out on it.

What can I use to seal it? I think epoxy would crack if the plastic flexes a bit. Would silicone work? Or is there something better I can use that has strength AND flexibility?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
It is a huge one. I can unscrew the top and get inside so I am going to try and put on a thick layer of good quality silicone, then lay duck tape over top of the crack and put more silicone on top of the tape. Maybe the mesh in the tape will give it some strength. Then maybe put some silcone on the outside of the barrel as well.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I dunno about that flex seal... it looks too good to be true. Probably just like stuffing the crack with a ShamWoW

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
It is a huge one. I can unscrew the top and get inside so I am going to try and put on a thick layer of good quality silicone, then lay duck tape over top of the crack and put more silicone on top of the tape. Maybe the mesh in the tape will give it some strength. Then maybe put some silcone on the outside of the barrel as well.
Well, you can try that, or you can just go here. Rain Barrels - Watering & Irrigation - Garden Center - Outdoors at The Home Depot

Next winter, bring it in :p

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
With straw dear Alex, dear Alex, dear Alex,
With straw dear Alex, dear Alex with straw!

-jM
A&D
The problem with straw is that it would stick out and get caught on things. Rodents would pick at it and stuff... straw is too long, Jeffsus

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

cosmosuave

TRIBE Member
Fibreglass repair kit in the autobody section at Canadian Tire... Rough sand the plastic with 40 grit then follow instructions on the repair kit...

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
The problem with straw is that it would stick out and get caught on things. Rodents would pick at it and stuff... straw is too long, Jeffsus
Then cut it, dear Snuffy, dear Snuffy, dear Snuffy,
Then cut it, dear Snuffy, dear Snuffy cut it.

-jM
A&D

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
Then cut it, dear Snuffy, dear Snuffy, dear Snuffy,
Then cut it, dear Snuffy, dear Snuffy cut it.

-jM
A&D
Do I look like a handyman? I don't have tools. Heck, I don't even have scissors. So how do I cut the straw, dear Jeffsus?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
So much work. Why not recycle it into something else and buy a new barrel?
It is a very nice rain barrel except for the crack and I would rather fix it than add to the plastic in the universe by getting another one. In the interim, I have put an extension on the downspout so it flows away from my house.

I am going to home depot today so I potter around there and see if there is something gluey for fixing plastic, if not I will go the silicone and duck tape route.

I have some stuff call Mcnett's Aquaseal that would work, but it is so expensive for a tiny tube (I use it for repairing my metal detecting wetsuits and waders). It dries hard and flexible and strong. If it came in a larger size for cheaper it would be ideal:

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders