• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

my minidisc player is busted.........

OTIS

TRIBE Member
When I bought mine for $900 (when they first came out) and it died from mechanical failure just after the warranty expired, I swore to never get a portable audio device with moving parts. Get an MP3 player.

raaven

TRIBE Member
i had a sony one a few years back. took it to Ireland and it stopped working while i was there. needless to say i was pissed.

good luck getting it fixed. it may cost a few $$

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

finary

TRIBE Promoter
It'll probably cost $30 to find out whats wrong, and at least $100 to fix it. If you decide to fix it most places will deduct the $30 from the total repair cost.

this is a guess though... just based on what ive seen people pay to get digital cameras and shit fixed...

SmoothOperator

TRIBE Member
Just open it up and fix it yourself. Although this may seem nerve-racking, you'd be surprized how simple gadgets are to fix sometimes. I took apart my entire ps2 to fix it.

Worth a shot...open it up. Have a good look to see if you can spot the problem. If you don't, no harm done....put it back together and get it fixed elsewhere.

JayBrain

TRIBE Member
yeah good idea NOT

sometimes you'll break it more if you don't know what you're doing.

Leave it to an expert

Kwasi

TRIBE Member
I bought mine for 400 about 2 years ago. Last year my old roomate gave me his 4X EP MD.

Both of these come out before the MP3 capabilites came onto the later models.

I think you are better off just buying the newer ones from those electronic stores on young st. I've seen basic ones for like 100 and the mp3 ones for just 50-75 more.

Why pay for a repair plus outrageous labour when a new one will only set you back 30-40 bux more.. brand spanking new!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

SmoothOperator

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by JayBrain

sometimes you'll break it more if you don't know what you're doing.
Thats why I said to just open it and take a look. If it isn't something obvious, or easily fixable. Then take it in to a professional. But opening up the casing isn't going to hurt anybody.

catilyst

TRIBE Member
Agreed. If you have basic knowledge of how mechanical tings go to gether then based on that you should be able to at least look for anything obvious. As a youngster I always surprised the old folk by fixing walkmans, ghetto blasters, rc cars etc.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Because minidisc players have plenty of moving parts, opening it up is not recommended.

MP3 Player all the way.

SmoothOperator

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OTIS
Because minidisc players have plenty of moving parts, opening it up is not recommended.
To me, that's more reason to take a peek. What if a tiny screw came loose inside, and landed in a moving track part, or something.
TOTALLY EASY to fix.

On the other hand...if the display's giving funny readouts, or it's something electronic related... Pay to have it dealt with.

billy

TRIBE Member
Mine's fried too. Really picky about what it wants to play. This came up over in the house section but didn't get too many ideas for repairs. It's a pioneer and a few years old. I remember ppl having the same problems with portable DAT recorders when they came out.

Still, I would like to find out rates and places.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories