• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

my hatred of souped up cars

CC

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by m..m:
So the question is would you rather drive a car that looked like a Chevette and preformed like a Ferrari or looked like a Ferrari and performed like a Chevette?</font>
you kind of summed up my rambling from above....

CC

MARCin

TRIBE Member
Well, everything's been preety much said already, so i dont know what to write without repeating others. It all comes down to a personal taste. I mean i've seen some dumb looking cars, but hey, it's not mine, so why do i care? Those people want their cars to be different from the millions of stock models, be it looks or performance. And it's really interesting seeing the ideas some of those guys come up with.

Marc

MARCin

TRIBE Member
Well, everything's been preety much said already, so i dont know what to write without repeating others. It all comes down to a personal taste. I mean i've seen some dumb looking cars, but hey, it's not mine, so why do i care? Those people want their cars to be different from the millions of stock models, be it looks or performance. And it's really interesting seeing the ideas some of those guys come up with.

Marc

Plato

TRIBE Member
i agree with CC and cameron. it can be done tastefully and still produce an aesthetically pleasing craft capable of racing.

but those people are usually older

the younger crew, 16-24 year olds, are more into making it look cool and eyecatching.
unfortunately they look like shit.

they might as well place a sticker saying "please make fun of me"
cause they're gonna get ridiculed anyways.

as for zoo, please turn on your sarcasm detector.

p[l]a+0

Deus

TRIBE Member
Can't believe nobody has mentioned, "looking good to the opposite sex." Souping up a car is all about looking fine for the bitches, or attracting attention in general.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

SpinSugar

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dancechick:
Just because you have no understanding of car culture does not give you
license to share your ignorance. Yes there are people who do things
solely for your attention, good or bad - and it seems to have worked
well on you but that gives you no right, or case, in making derogatory
statements about how some people tune there cars.

</font>
actually i can say whatever i want- it's just cars. it's not like i'm insulting something that actually matters in the grand scheme of things. calm down.
and the reasons you listed were mostly for increasing the performance and speed of the car. most of us- with the exception of you of course!- are not race car drivers. a car is to get from point A to point B. and of course people want it to look good but IMO thats where a lot of accidents start. people who look at their cars as racing machines. they get cocky on the road and seem to be more concerned with how cool they look than how they're driving. there's no need to soup up your car to increase speed unless you're a racecar driver. you know why? its called the speed limit.

sorry i'm going off. i just know a few people like this who've been in their fair share of accidents and it pisses me off. i'm a good driver, but i could get killed by some idiot who's paying more attention to how cool his blacklight looks than the road?? not cool. end rant again.

plur.....sugar

zoo

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Plato:
as for zoo, please turn on your sarcasm detector.

p[l]a+0
</font>
out of service

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Deus:
Can't believe nobody has mentioned, "looking good to the opposite sex." Souping up a car is all about looking fine for the bitches, or attracting attention in general.</font>
seen

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Plato:

huge speedometers instead of the one your car came with = easier to see when you wear your sunglasses at night
p[l]a+0
</font>

Actually, that is a Tachometer (if thats how you spell it). I Tells you the revolutions your engine is spinning per minute, and is usually required for racing so you don't blow the thing up

Jay

Lambchops

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SpinSugar:
actually i can say whatever i want- it's just cars. it's not like i'm insulting something that actually matters in the grand scheme of things. calm down.

i just know a few people like this who've been in their fair share of accidents and it pisses me off. i'm a good driver, but i could get killed by some idiot who's paying more attention to how cool his blacklight looks than the road?? not cool. end rant again.

plur.....sugar
</font>
It may be "just cars" for you, but there are a many people out there who spend a great deal of time, energy and money on their cars because it brings them so form of esteem, satisfaction and worth. To each his own, I'm sure you have a deep love or passion for a certain activity too.

I'm sorry to hear about the unfortunate incident with your friend but if you check accident reports and statistics you'll find that "racers" account for a minute portion of the total fatal accidents in Ontario and likely, Canada.

Balzz

TRIBE Member
i'm a good driver, but i could get killed by some idiot who's paying more attention to how cool his blacklight looks than the road?? not cool. end rant again.
</font>
You're more likely to be killed by a soccer-mom in a 2-ton SUV. Speed limits should be abolished in favour of inertial limits.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
2) exhaust: what is up with these huge dual exhausts that look like they could power a space shuttle? is that necessary? and why does you car have to be loud in order to be cool? it looks ugly, it sounds like shit, and you're not a racecar driver so get over it.</font>
I knew a guy when I was younger who was always working on his car. He gave me a ride home once and I because his new muffler was so loud. I don't at all see the point of a muffler that makes things louder, when by definition isn't it supposed to muffle the sound?

I guess you gotta let everyone else in the neighbourhood know when you're taking your car out for a ride....

Pete

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Subsonic Chronic:
supposed to say:

He gave me a ride home once and I couldn't even hear him talking because his new muffler was so loud.

Pete
</font>
I must have taken the cheap drugs this morning...

OTIS

TRIBE Member
fuck all this souping up..
you forget we live in CANADA,
one winter will ruin all your mods..

or else you'll have to garage it for the winter and drive something else.

I could understand living in Florida and doing that shit, but here???

All you need is a decent system and tints to hide it.. screw all this other mod crap.

Oh and I have fog lights cuz I live in the snow belt.

-OTIS

MARCin

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by OTIS:
All you need is a decent system and tints to hide it.. screw all this other mod crap.
</font>
putting a tint on the windows is not really effective way of preventing your shit to be stolen. If anything, it makes it worse. My buddy had his window smashed twice, without having any system in it(he didn't bother putting a new one since the last one was stollen).

Marc

Suke

TRIBE Member
Is anyone else feeling the new Pontiac Grand Prixs these days? The look is there and a sweet set of rims adds extra look ... or is it just me?

G

Isn't the point of a spolier to improve grip/handling? It doesn't make your car faster. I don't mind a small factory one but that's it.

CC

TRIBE Member
well, i will sort of repeat what i said from above by saying that if you like your car a certain way, then cool. but if you're trying to show off with your car, especially if you car really isn't any better than anyone else's car, then you are A PUNK ASS BITCH.

don't front like you got something.

CC

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

f-prime

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ~dazed~:
Isn't the point of a spolier to improve grip/handling? It doesn't make your car faster. I don't mind a small factory one but that's it.</font>
the spoiler is for the purpose of the keeping the back down at high speeds (somewhere around 280 km/h)

now since most speed limits are within 100 km/h and most cars don't really go over 200
spoilers do absolutely jack shit

basically if your car needs a spoiler it's not street legal

zedtech

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Suke:
Is anyone else feeling the new Pontiac Grand Prixs these days? The look is there and a sweet set of rims adds extra look ... or is it just me?</font>
That's what I currently own... it's a GT though, not the GTP (I love the GTP but I'm not keen on paying $100/mth more). Below are a couple pics of my car (sorry for the shitty digicam stills
)

I agree with 95% of what CC first said in his/her post. I've done a little exhaust and engine work last summer, nothing too extreme. I'm gonna focus on making the car go faster this summer (performance rockers and camshafts) but besides that, I'm done

Rich (http://oqcgp.clubgp.com/members/rich_ramos/r_ramos.html)

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
I hate those Fucking WarAmps Stickers. Like WTF?! Doe people think thier cool for putting these stickers all over their car?!?