• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

My computer sucks right now... help.

Mmmmmmladen

TRIBE Member
Ok... I am by no means a novice with computers, but for some reason my computer is running extra slow and I can't do anything to fix it. It's not that old. I can barely run three programs at the same time without it practically freezing.

Can you guys give me some suggestions how I can speed it up?

I have deleted programs I don't need, defrag'd my drive, ran disk clean up, ran my adaware and spybot programs. I was going to start messing around with my msconfig, but everytime I do that I fuck up my McAfee...

so... thoughts?

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
try a different defragging program. The Windows defragger like the rest of the OS add-ons is a pile of shit.

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
Do you have alot of stuff in your "My documents" folder?

The more shit there is in there, the slower your computer will be.

People who have alot of pictures and music in the "My Downloaded" "My Picture" and "My Music" folders of "My Documents" should moves these files elsewhere outside of the working directory.

Also, try disabling your AntiVirus for a few moments and see if maybe it's causing the slow down.

nonlocal

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Watcher
Do you have alot of stuff in your "My documents" folder?

The more shit there is in there, the slower your computer will be.

People who have alot of pictures and music in the "My Downloaded" "My Picture" and "My Music" folders of "My Documents" should moves these files elsewhere outside of the working directory.
Wow, really? I had never heard this. I have like 700megs of random videos and images and whatnot in my MyDocs and had never really noticed a slowdown... Can you post a source for this? Why would files in these directories cause a slowdown anymore than files anywhere else on my disk?

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Pull up the taskmgr and tell us what the average CPU usage is, what your total physical RAM is and its usage, as well as swap info and its usage.

StarvinMarvin

TRIBE Member
and if all else fails download Hijackthis and then post ur log file on tomcoyoteforums and they'll tell ya how to clean up your computer....:D

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by nonlocal
Wow, really? I had never heard this. I have like 700megs of random videos and images and whatnot in my MyDocs and had never really noticed a slowdown... Can you post a source for this? Why would files in these directories cause a slowdown anymore than files anywhere else on my disk?
Started happening to my computer. since I just let the pics I offloaded into the "My Pictures" folder... after it got to about 1.5 gigs, the computer started to get really slow. Did some spring cleaning, moved them all out of the "Document and Setting" folders onto another hard drive, and rebooted, then the computer started to be zippy again.

This was Pre SP2 mind you, but it's almost like it was just bloating the memory for no reason.

Since then, Cri's computer was doing the same, I check her computer, and it had like 6 gigs worth of MP3's and Pictures and random school work documents... so I moved them all out of the "My Documents" and it seemed to clear it up a big again.

So... I didn't read it in any article, but I have noticed the difference.

Get another defrag proggy, like Speed Disk or something... make sure the HD is all in order.

Delete all your temp files

Disable all the Task Manager shit, like the WinampAgent, and Winzip agent, and Quicktime Agent... cuz if they aren't used all the time, they are just taking up active memory.

Make sure your Antivirus isn't doing constant checking of everyfile all the time... I let my antivirus run once overnight daily, otherwise, it's on standy and only check the internet files.

Otherwise, I've found this that may help you do some tweakin
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1590&page=1

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Watcher
Started happening to my computer. since I just let the pics I offloaded into the "My Pictures" folder... after it got to about 1.5 gigs, the computer started to get really slow. Did some spring cleaning, moved them all out of the "Document and Setting" folders onto another hard drive, and rebooted, then the computer started to be zippy again.
Watcher - do you know if i can do the same with my Mac? i'm not sure the hard drive is partitionned in the same way... i think i need to replace my OS to a newer version, but i'm afraid of the room it'll take up. i'm deleting all the useless programs on my computer, deleting tons of music and pictures, but i still get messages that there just isn't enough room on my computer to save a fucking Word document.

other than getting a new computer, i'm at a loss.

randyval

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Mmmmmmladen
Ok... I am by no means a novice with computers, but for some reason my computer is running extra slow and I can't do anything to fix it. It's not that old. I can barely run three programs at the same time without it practically freezing.

Can you guys give me some suggestions how I can speed it up?

I have deleted programs I don't need, defrag'd my drive, ran disk clean up, ran my adaware and spybot programs. I was going to start messing around with my msconfig, but everytime I do that I fuck up my McAfee...

so... thoughts?
what are your machine specs?
are your device drivers installed corectly?
how new is the machine?
has it always been slow?
have you added any hardware or drivers latey?
what version of windows xp are you using?