• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

My cat moved out

AVE

TRIBE Member
give him a week before you really worry

my cats have come home after 6-7 days away. always a little dirty and hungry, but in decent shape.

hope he comes back :)

p.s. keep checking the humane society, my cat wound up there once too.

French Disco Girl

TRIBE Member
i feel your pain. i lost mine who was also a year old back in february.

what i did learn though was that cats don't 'move out'. regardless of home life a cat will never leave with the intentions of not coming back. he is probably just lost. put posters up around the neighbourhood & at the local convenience store and contact the closest vet and humane society to let them know you are missing him, and generally they will give you a call back if someone reports him found.

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
Did he have a collar on? Maybe people thought he was a stray, especially as he was so young.

Is he neutered? Maybe he's on the prowl for females.

3-4 days is not long for a cat to be out. He'll probably come back in a couple days.

Funzo

TRIBE Member
I lost mine 3 weeks ago. He was the best cat ever, all he did was snuggle and kill things and bring them home for me. One time in the Winter he chased a Fox across our field. I imagine a Coyote got him though.

RIP Harvey Duke

Subscribe to Cannabis Goldsmith, wherever you get your podcasts

Reflex

TRIBE Member
also check the Toronto Cat Rescue and Annex Cat Rescue. if someone thought your cat was a stray, one of these organizations could have easily picked it up and is preparing to put it up for adoption.

Good luck. Hopefully your cat will just come home.

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
One of my kitties was lost for days. We put 100 flyers up on telephone poles and an add in the paper, someone called who found him and we went and picked him up. Thank God!! So do put an add in the paper it's worth it. I think it cost about 35 bucks.
I wish you luck. I feel for you. I have 4 kitties and they are my everything.

Maxine

anastasia

TRIBE Member
If you love your cats you should never let him outside. No matter how mushc he/she meows or wants out, its safer to keep you cat inside. And if you live in the country still keep him in because you never know what bigger animals are out there.

Cats are safer, healthier and live longer when kept indoors.

Cats roam, get picked up by strangers/homeless people, abused/tortured and sometimes just can't find there way home.

If you love him/her and want to see it grow up - keep him indoors always.

In the back of my apartment I see so many strays or lost cats. They look unhappy, unhealthy and will lie a short life. Why do it to cat?

Also put a collar that glows in the dark so it won't get hit by a cat and always chip and fix your cat young.

Strong cat activist who has two indoor cats who have a balcony to roam on which is safely enclosed so they can never fall. :)

meow

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
^ I aggree with you to some degree. However that rubs me the wrong way for you to say if you love your cat you'll keep them in doors. I have a HUGE property here in Newmarket. My cats live the most enjoyable life here. I love them with all my heart. They love it more than anything to go outside. My cats get nothin' but the best.

However, if I lived in Toronto I would think twice about letting my cats out. I would be too worried about what may happen to them. But where I live it is very different...much safer for kitties to roam free.

Maxine

BigBadBaldy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by anastasia
If you love your cats you should never let him outside. No matter how mushc he/she meows or wants out, its safer to keep you cat inside. And if you live in the country still keep him in because you never know what bigger animals are out there.

Cats roam, get picked up by strangers/homeless people, abused/tortured and sometimes just can't find there way home.

In the back of my apartment I see so many strays or lost cats. They look unhappy, unhealthy and will lie a short life. Why do it to cat?

Also put a collar that glows in the dark so it won't get hit by a cat and always chip and fix your cat young.

Strong cat activist who has two indoor cats who have a balcony to roam on which is safely enclosed so they can never fall. :)

meow
Whatever.

Also anastasia, if you want to live forever, never leave your house and eat nothing but 12 litres of yogurt a day; you might not experience anything good, or have a rich life, but boy you'll get old and stay old, pained and wrinkly for a long time.

AVE

TRIBE Member

:rolleyes:

cats are their own people(so to speak), i find it cruel to keep them in if they want out. The only reason i don't have a cat right now is because i live in an apartment and wouldn't be able to let them go outside.

All of my cats have been outdoor cats, and one lived to 18, while the other two(who live with my parents) are still going strong. and both are very healthy.

luvslife

TRIBE Member

meow

If you really love your cat you'd let them outside and not be so fucking selfish. They're living creatures, not a possetion.

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
I'm divided on the indoor/outdoor issue.

My mom adopted an "indoor" cat a few years ago. He had been declawed by an elderly lady so he wouldn't scratch her furniture.

We have allowed him to go outside since all of the other cats do, and it is really pathetic. He can't protect himself against anything really. He is afraid of the world and of most people. If he had been allowed to remain intact and explore the outdoors as a kitten/young adult he would be a lot happier. He can't even catch mice!!!

It's impossible to guarantee that your happy, healthy indoor cat will not one day end up out in the world, with no way of protecting itself.

On a sadder note, one of our cats spines has been messed up. The vet says someone must have kicked her hard in the butt. I am sooo mad someone could do that. It's the first time one of our cats has been abused/hurt due to being outdoors.

I think the time cats spend hunting and relaxing outside makes up for potential dangers.

fuzzy

TRIBE Member
Me and my sister put up posters on some telephone polls around our house

And we called the SPCA, but they don't have any cats that fit our description :(

Richard

Liquidity

TRIBE Member
one of the leading causes of domestic cat death are the diseases that cats can transfer to each other. (that's how i lost my first 2 cats)

it's not necessarily less humane to keep your cats indoors.

noisy

TRIBE Member
I think that you guys who are talking about indoor/outdoor cats being more or less happy are simply projecting your own human emotions and expectations onto your cats.

A well fed cat in a loving home is probably doing pretty well in the world o' cats, regardless of whether they're let out. There are many reasons to keep cats indoors (increased life expectancy, less disease, not contributing to wildlife death etc.) and outdoors (it's fun for the cat, it appeals to people's sensibilities about animals roaming free, etc.). Let's not jump down each other's throats about people's personal decisions if they are otherwise responsible, loving pet owners.

p.s. fuzzy, I hope your cat turns up.

BigBadBaldy

TRIBE Member
I don't think there's anything wrong with having indoor cats either. I do think it's wrong to categorically say people should act one way or the other.

nusty

TRIBE Member
My family's cat got 'lost' for a few days, turned out to be locked inside a garage when the nieghbour didn't see her go in.

But she made it out and was fine.

CandEgirl

TRIBE Member
Awww.

Losing a pet really, really sucks. I reccoment getting pets microchipped, then they can find them no matter what shelter/animal hospital he or she ends up at.

Anyway, start putting up posters and stuff, you wouldn't want someone to think your kitty doesn't have an owner

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by BigBadBaldy
I don't think there's anything wrong with having indoor cats either. I do think it's wrong to categorically say people should act one way or the other.

Exactly.........damage control. Be aware of your surroundings. Personally I would NEVER have an outdoor cat downtown. EVER. And that is NOT being selfish. That is loving my cat and not wanting anything to happen to them like say for example...........getting picked up by some college student who wants to do some scientific project on my baby.......or more likely, get hit by a car.

On the other hand, if I lived in a more rural area, I would allow my cats outside.

I do occassionally take my cats out on a harness. I found my cat Friend living in filth underneath a school portable, she had been lost for about a two weeks, she was so starved and she's been an indoor cats ever since. And believe me, she is far from deprived. My other kitties have been brought up indoors, and when I try to take them out they always huddle by the door to get back inside because all the "car" noises scare the shit out of them.

If you MUST let your cat out in the city, at least be responsible about it. Don't leave the house again until kitty is back under lock and key. And don't leave kitty out ALL night. For fuck sakes, you think the dog is happy the cat is free to roam while he's stuck being led around on a leash a couple times a day and having his shit picked up after him. Let your dogs out, it's selfish of us to keep them inside with no A/C all day while we're at work. ......(just making the point that the selfish arguement is rediculous)

AVE

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by LeoGirl

For fuck sakes, you think the dog is happy the cat is free to roam while he's stuck being led around on a leash a couple times a day and having his shit picked up after him.

there is a world of difference between a dog and a cat.

and knowing my dog, if she had to stay in all day long(which NEVER happens, shes a lucky pup)she'd be a lot more relaxed if the cats were outside so they couldn't bug her all day long.:)

but really, this dog/cat argument is ridiculous, they are different in every way. While a cat is usually content with hanging around the property, and maybe venturing off to the neighbors, a dog will follow its nose wherever it takes him, and may not be able to find his way back.

anastasia

TRIBE Member
The average lifespan of cats that roam free outside is 2-5 years.
The average lifespan of indoor cats is 12.5 years.

Some of the dangers that outdoor cats face are:

vehicles
unfriendly dogs
predators such as coyotes and raccoons
other cats defending their territory
angry neighbours who dislike cats digging and defecating in their garden
diseases such as feline leukemia or immunodeficiency viruses
fleas, ticks and other parasites
poisons from substances such as antifreeze or pesticides
sickness from eating garbage or other contaminated morsels
harsh weather that can cause frostbite in winter or dehydration in summer
getting lost

http://www.cfhs.ca/Programs/HumaneEducation/GeneralPublic/IndoorCat/

http://www.caws.org/indoorcat.html

http://www.caws.org/indoorcat.html

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pointe/9352/indoors.html

Over 120,000 cats are euthanized in Canadian animal shelters every year.

60% of cats that come into animal shelters are euthanized.

Fewer than 5% of cats in shelters are reclaimed by their owners.

I know its my opinion but I have seen so many outdoor cat die young from being outdoors in the city. The country is fine sometimes depending on the enviroment. There are cities in Canada with a cat law making it illegal for cats to go out without a leash and I hope more cities adopt that law.

Sorry for rubbing people the wrong way but I see and hear of so many people who have cats who don't put collars with there addy on them or even have them chipped. Just make sure they live in a safe enviroment and take them to the vet every year for shots and fix your cats so they won't populate the over populated cat world and fixed cats are less likely to roam.
I live in a city and see so many cats downtown roaming free and they look so lost, unloved and they will probably die too young.

LeoGirl PS I think its cute that you take your cat out on a leash.

And Fuzzy I hope you cat turns up. Most cats know where the sun sets and comes up, and they can determine where they live by the sun. Sometimes if there has been no sun, they won't go looking for hom until the sun comes up again.

willis

TRIBE Member
I think it’s cruel to lock a cat indoors. They're fricken cats for christ sake, the most adaptable animal on the planet next to humans. I bet the people who keep their cats indoors are the same people who wouldnt let their kids off the front lawn.

Unless you live in an apartment, in which case you probably shouldn’t have a cat anyway.

From my experience with indoor cats, living inside slowly makes them crazy.