• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

muzik mag no more...

djcheezwhiz

TRIBE Member
from the weekly mail...

Dear All,

As you may or may not be aware, Muzik has closed after eight glorious years. In celebration of the good times, we're holding a party next Wednesday (9th July).

All fans, readers, supporters, liggers and party people are invited to join us at dreambagsjaguarshoes on Kingsland Road, E1, from 7pm.

Muzik's next (and final) issue is on sale the same day.

All the best, and see you Wednesday.

Lots of love,

Muzik

...i used to enjoy reading this mag a few years back, but admit my reading of this, mixmag & some other uk publications has waned in recent years...some memorable comps...i guess it captured the big gatecrasher/trance scene for a while, but recently seemed to be trying to find a new niche...

jc

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

slingshot

TRIBE Member
always thought muzik was of higher quality than most.
really dug some of there promo cds! (red jerry, mjcole - if you can believe it etc.)

ss

bdaddyp

TRIBE Member
Eulogy for a magazine...

When I first got into progressive music in 1998 (it was just referred to as sub-genre of trance then) Muzik magazine helped open my eyes to just how massive and eclectic the whole electronic music and party scene really was. It, in addition to the rise of Napster, truly helped redefine the music that I listen to and introduced me to musical artists whose work I would never have otherwise been exposed to.

To this day I still listen to a number of their comps, including A:XUS' 'Guidance Collection', Dawson & James' 'Ibiza By Night', and even the newer ones like Miss Kittin's Electroclash mix, as well as those mixed by Audio Bullys and DFA.

I was truly shocked and saddened when I got the email today saying they were printing off their last issue. It seems the entire scene is going through a massive shift (in what direction I don't know) and unfortunately Muzik is one of its casualties.

Although I feel Mixmag had a higher # of quality comps I felt, unlike Mixmag, Muzik always understood and respected that it was the artists and the music, as opposed to the drugs, that made the scene and thus always made them the forefront of their agenda.

Maybe those involved will resurrect the mag in some form or another. In any case, Muzik will be, at least by myself, sorely missed.

rentboy

TRIBE Member
fcuk.

MUzik was once the best mag period for full on coverage of electronic music... i bought it religiously every month from 1995-2002....i stopped buying it during 2002 due to the mags decline imo....i mean, having Madonna and Timberlake on the covers wasn't doing it for me.

But, shit...that mag was like my bible...

opened my eyes to so much out there....

zoo

TRIBE Member
if the new issue is on sale i might pick it up

i liked muzik much better than any of the other 'dance' magazines

i like the real deal, music fans, music reviews, not flashy garbage

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by el presidente Highsteppa
I thought they were in decline for the last year or two.

Agreed. That whole 'electroclash' look that they were going with in regards to the new layout was pants. They also killed most of their content too. I'm sad to see it go, but it was somewhat inevitable methinks.

Cheers,
JK

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Yeah Muzik used to be the shit, I had every issue from 96 to 2000 for a while. But the internet has replaced mags as my source of news and info from around the industry. I think that's what did them in ultimately.

deep

TRIBE Member
too bad. I used to like mags like muzik back in the heyday of the rave scene to get a feel for how global electronic music culture was.

rentboy

TRIBE Member
I thought they were in decline for the last year or two.

agreed....they switched up Editors too often during the last few years...

when Ben Turner was at the helm things were so good...

really sad to see this happen.

Psyrel

TRIBE Member
What a pity. So many great free compilations. The Red Jerry one from last year still gets fairly heavy rotation in my discman.

TheVibe

TRIBE Member
I saw that Ministry of Sound just launched a new magazine called "Trash", a more diverse music/lifestyle/fashion magazine than the old Ministry Magazine. Hopefully it will be pretty good and come with some great free CD's like the old mag...

Originally posted by TheVibe
I saw that Ministry of Sound just launched a new magazine called "Trash", a more diverse music/lifestyle/fashion magazine than the old Ministry Magazine. Hopefully it will be pretty good and come with some great free CD's like the old mag...

Yeah, the Ministry mag cd's were a pleasant surprise. Specially the Steve Lawler one they put out.

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
Yeah, the Ministry mag cd's were a pleasant surprise. Specially the Steve Lawler one they put out.

The magazine on the other hand.... :eek:

I remember one issue where they had this huge line of coke across the front. Or was that Mixmag? Either way, um... :rolleyes:

Cheers,
JK

I looked and still look at a lot of the magazines the same way - I'm paying about 11 bucks for a cheap and usually well mixed cd and get a free magazine that could have been written in crayon.