• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

mutek

kaniz

TRIBE Member
So far, the 1st wave of people that they have announced for Mutek06/Montreal are.

ALEX UNDER — Spain
AUDIO WERNER — Germany
DANDY JACK — Chile
DIMBIMAN — Germany
GUIDO SCHNEIDER — Germany
JACKSON AND HIS COMPUTER BAND — France
JAN JELINEK — Germany
HENRIK SCHWARTZ — Germany
MARC LECLAIR (AKUFEN) — Canada
MODESELEKTOR — Germany
NOZE — France
PIERRE BASTIEN — France
RYOICHI KUROKAWA — Japan
SKOLTZ_KOLGEN — Canada
SONJA MOONEAR — Switzerland
STEPHEN BEAUPRÉ — Canada
TBA — Georgia
THOMAS BRINKMANN — Germany
+ many more to come

Must say - not many names I recgonize on that list, but thats not nessicarly a bad thing - still very curious in trying to haul ass up there for it this year. Curious to see who else will be added to the lineup.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

lonemale

TRIBE Member
hot lineup!

henrick schwartz amazing.

audio werner. show the idm heads whats up.

and i guess they've finally learned to not book ricardo. maybe he'll show then...

zoo

TRIBE Member
jelenik, jackson, modeselektor, and brinkmann did some of my favorite albums of the last 1.5 years

that lineup is good, but still preliminary ...

i'm more interested in seeing the paxahau demf lineup personally ... with paxahau calling the shots, i think it could have the potential be one of the best festivals of 2006, in any city ... paxahau events are certainly world-class, so hopefully they won't run into significant constraints with the actual festival ...

lonemale

TRIBE Member
zoo said:
... paxahau events are certainly world-class, so hopefully they won't run into significant constraints with the actual festival ...

i think they ARE the actual festival this year.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

ktown

TRIBE Member
i was thinking of starting this thread, but alex wil prolly delete it anyways :rolleyes: happens every year.

i'm pumped up for dimbiman and akufen, i hope they play to gether. brinkman is stellar too. so is montreal and everything about the festival. i'll definitely be there... again :cool:

kaniz

TRIBE Member
re-posting this from mnl.nl (Pheek posted it)
I really like when there's a combo of known figures and obscure artists. You can totally rely on Mutek's musical tastes to pick up the best demos. This year's edition could be last so they're booking a lot of big names. I'm not sure if it's confirmed but I think there might be a Minus showcase as well as some very cool artists I'm not allowed to name yet

a: possibly the last year? that sucks
b: minus show case - that'd rock! Even the smaller names on minus put out some amazing stuff and would love to see them. Not to mention, hawtin, magda, troy pierce, etc
c: cant wait to see who else gets added to the lineup

zoo

TRIBE Member
lonemale said:
i think they ARE the actual festival this year.

I think you're misunderstanding me ... I know Paxahau is organizing the festival, but planning a one-night party in a club-sized venue is significantly different than throwing a massive 3 day festival.

kaniz

TRIBE Member
The full mutek news letter they sent out the other week..
Montreal, Canada / May 31 to June 4
Presented in collaboration with EX-CENTRIS

For the 7th Edition of its Montreal Festival, MUTEK is preparing a hearty stew of content comprising many familiar faces and up and coming names! Like every year, expect more new discoveries, with a host of artists garnering attention on the international scene who will be making their North American debut at this year's Festival.

MUTEK 2006 will explore the similitudes and the links that can be established between Berlin and Montreal, through a collaboration with Berlin-based Club TransMediale (CTM) - Festival for Adventurous Music and Related Visual Arts.

Berlin and Montreal are two cultural metropolises that share several things in common. Notably, the two are both creative hubs within their regional and even continental contexts. This is analogous to the Club TransMediale / MUTEK relationship, exemplified in the last edition of the CTM Festival: last February, MUTEK was invited to participate in a full day's activities and gatherings under the banner INTERLACE, dedicated specifically to the interweaving of the networks associated with our respective events.

MUTEK chose the notions of interlacing and networking as a source of inspiration for its 2006 edition. This focus will help illuminate and solidify the rapport between Berlin and Montreal. Ultimately, we aim to collectively thrive off the ramifications of our mutual events and the networks that define us. Many elements of MUTEK 2006 will thus revolve around this dimension.

The first wave of confirmed performers include:
ALEX UNDER — Spain
AUDIO WERNER — Germany
DANDY JACK — Chile
DIMBIMAN — Germany
GUIDO SCHNEIDER — Germany
JACKSON AND HIS COMPUTER BAND — France
JAN JELINEK — Germany
HENRIK SCHWARTZ — Germany
MARC LECLAIR (AKUFEN) — Canada
MODESELEKTOR — Germany
NOZE — France
PIERRE BASTIEN — France
RYOICHI KUROKAWA — Japan
SKOLTZ_KOLGEN — Canada
SONJA MOONEAR — Switzerland
STEPHEN BEAUPRÉ — Canada
TBA — Georgia
THOMAS BRINKMANN — Germany
+ many more to come

The professional segment of the festival (MUTEK_INTERSECTION), featuring panels, workshops and clinics, will be presented in cooperation with M-Audio, Ableton and Roland.

Activities will take place at EX-CENTRIS (www.ex-centris.com), the Society for Arts and Technology (www.sat.qc.ca), the Darling Foundry (www.quartierephemere.org), the Monument National, Metropolis, and Parc Jean-Drapeau (www.parcjeandrapeau.com).

For the TOTAL FESTIVAL EXPERIENCE, festivalgoers can take advantage of the online presale to obtain a MUTEK_PASSPORT, by logging onto the new festival website starting April 10th: http://www.mutek.ca.

FROM OUT OF TOWN AND PLANNING A VISIT TO THE FESTIVAL THIS YEAR?
MUTEK has again paired up with VIA Rail Canada to offer you a speedy, comfortable, and economical travel solution. To take advantage of the special 40% discount on VIA Rail Canada fares, visit our website (starting April 10th) and click on "Tourism"!
You can also benefit from preferred rates by booking a room at the Quality Hotel, Downtown — MUTEK's accommodation partner for the fourth consecutive year.

and just because I am in copy and paste mode, the lineup for mutek-Mexico, wonder how many people on this lineup will be making their way over to the Montreal one...

Line-up includes:
APPARAT - Germany
ATOM HEART feat. SURTEC COLLECTIVE - Chile / Germany
CHILDS - Mexico
DEADBEAT - Canada
E. LEBLEU - Mexico
FAX - Mexico
JAN JELINEK - Germany
MANRICO MONTERO - Mexico
MARC HOULE - Canada
MATHEW JONSON - Canada
MATIAS AGUAYO & ROCCNESS - Chile / Germany
MONNE AUTOMNE - Chile
OZY — Iceland
POLE - Germany
RADIAN - Austria
RICHIE HAWTIN - Canada
TELEFON TELAVIV - USA
TROY PIERCE - USA

ktown

TRIBE Member
kaniz said:
and just because I am in copy and paste mode, the lineup for mutek-Mexico, wonder how many people on this lineup will be making their way over to the Montreal one...

not too many, most of those artists were there last year, and mutek likes to keep things "fresh" by not booking the same artist 2 years in row...

why might this be their last year ? say it aint so !

grit

TRIBE Member
be interesting to go to mexico for their installment. probably some good blow in those parts too. :D

kidding. i'm done with dat.
but i'm down with that.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
ktown said:
not too many, most of those artists were there last year, and mutek likes to keep things "fresh" by not booking the same artist 2 years in row...

why might this be their last year ? say it aint so !

maybe the artists don't want to go back...

ktown

TRIBE Member
alexd said:
maybe the artists don't want to go back...

thanks for not deleting the thread i guess :O ,

and a lot of the artists given the choice would play there every year .

Taro

TRIBE Member
yeah I can't imagine Mutek having a lot of trouble with artists..but then again, I've never been.

gsnuff

TRIBE Promoter
I am really excited about mutek this year. For the past few years, I've either been out of the country, or only able to hit a night of shows... I think I am going to go for the whole shebang this year. I have no qualms sitting out DEMF once again (paxahau at the helm or not), if I want to hear globally mutek is where it is at.

,g

musork

TRIBE Member
ktown said:
thanks for not deleting the thread i guess :O ,

and a lot of the artists given the choice would play there every year .

how do you know have you taken a survey? Im one fo the artists who played last year you never ASKED me how I felt about it...

as for fresh dude... they book artists 2 some times 3 years in a row...
they are more then aware that they do that and have been trying to make a contious effort not to do it again but giving that sweeping statment that mutek
keeps things fresh is total BS as even they will admit that a lot of thier booking choices are based on artists draw, if an artist has recently released some thing, is on tour already...and most importnartly based on how easy it is for them to work with these artists ie are they "friends" of the organisation...
Im not one to just diss festivals like this for the hell of it as ultimatly they are my bread and buttter but I think a small grain of reality to your statments as aposed to the fantasy view that you have that its a perfect world does not help for the reality of what really is...
there are 100s of mtl artists that are well deserving of playiing at mutek they every year get over looked and not asked to play.
it would be nice to see mutek take more chances like last year with the placard showcase and do some thing similar to include all the wounderfull talent that regualrly gets over looked by the festival in light of artists who get booked for the above reasons.
with that said I still feel that alain and eric run a tight ship and its hard to do what they are doing and I tip my hat to them for all the hard work they do its just to bad that the festival has to think about things like economics and politics to keep things running...

Last edited:

lonemale

TRIBE Member
musork said:
its just to bad that the festival has to think about things like economics and politics to keep things running...

...and, in turn, it's unfortunate that we cannot avoid breathing and just spend our days underwater.

The line-up Mutek has this year is hot. It's quality that would compete with the best of Europe. It could appeal to both IDM noodlers and hot Freestyle gina girls. This is a good thing. Too much noodling = angular haircuts, no sex, and too much black. Too much accessibility = fast times at Ridgemount High.

Interchange

TRIBE Promoter
hmm the date is like 2 days after demf - paxahau seems to have ties with mutek, i wonder if we will see a lot of these artists in Detroit, that would be sweet!

grit

TRIBE Member
musork said:
how do you know have you taken a survey? Im one fo the artists who played last year you never ASKED me how I felt about it...

as for fresh dude... they book artists 2 some times 3 years in a row...
they are more then aware that they do that and have been trying to make a contious effort not to do it again but giving that sweeping statment that mutek
keeps things fresh is total BS as even they will admit that a lot of thier booking choices are based on artists draw, if an artist has recently released some thing, is on tour already...and most importnartly based on how easy it is for them to work with these artists ie are they "friends" of the organisation...
Im not one to just diss festivals like this for the hell of it as ultimatly they are my bread and buttter but I think a small grain of reality to your statments as aposed to the fantasy view that you have that its a perfect world does not help for the reality of what really is...
there are 100s of mtl artists that are well deserving of playiing at mutek they every year get over looked and not asked to play.
it would be nice to see mutek take more chances like last year with the placard showcase and do some thing similar to include all the wounderfull talent that regualrly gets over looked by the festival in light of artists who get booked for the above reasons.
with that said I still feel that alain and eric run a tight ship and its hard to do what they are doing and I tip my hat to them for all the hard work they do its just to bad that the festival has to think about things like economics and politics to keep things running...

neil, i'm once in a while cynical about shit as well, but i also see the flowers on the other side. seems like every comment you ever say is somewhat negative.
that aint the message in the music bro.