• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Mutek 10 anyone?

kaniz

TRIBE Member
Having gone the last 3 years, wondering if its time to hit up DEMF for a change. Early line up is being released on the 16th so who knows.

Mutek is bringing The Mole, Pier Bucci and Guillaume & The Coutu Dumonts to the Drake on April the 9th! really dug The Moles set last time he was here, and this time I get the following day off - score!

praktik

TRIBE Member
i just cant see it happening this year unless there's some kind of windfall that comes out of the blue... :(

might mean I check out the local events like the april 9th thing though!

SubMissioN

TRIBE Member
Demf is cool but lets face it. Downtown Detroit is ugly as sin. Don't get me wrong Heart Square is something but the rest looks grim. The best part of my trips there are the afterpartys. The two hundred black cops at the show definitely make you like a minority. Thats cool though. Except for the GM building everythings made of concrete for sure. :eek:

Destro Sanchez

TRIBE Member
Demf is cool but lets face it. Downtown Detroit is ugly as sin. Don't get me wrong Heart Square is something but the rest looks grim. The best part of my trips there are the afterpartys. The two hundred black cops at the show definitely make you like a minority. Thats cool though. Except for the GM building everythings made of concrete for sure. :eek:

why the need to tell us the colour of the cops....?
:confused:

were you afraid of the black cops? (cue another KRS One song..)

anywho....

here's the pre-lineup:

ADAM MARSHALL (CA)
AKUFEN (CA)
ALVA NOTO (DE)
APPLEBLIM (UK)
ARTIFICIEL (CA)
ATOM TM (DE)
BEAT PHARMACY (US)
BYETONE (DE)
CARL CRAIG (US)
CYCLO [CARSTEN NICOLAI + RYOJI IKEDA] (DE/JP)
dOP (FR)
ERNESTO FERREYRA (CL)
GAS (DE)
GHISLAIN POIRIER (CA)
HERMAN KOLGEN (CA)
JAHCOOZI (DE)
JAKI LIEBEZEIT & BURNT FRIEDMAN (DE)
MATHEW JONSON VS DANDY JACK (CA/CL)
MIKE SHANNON (CA)
MODERN DEEP LEFT QUARTET (CA)
MODESELEKTOR + APPARAT = MODERAT (DE)
NEGO MOÇAMBIQUE (BR)
NORTEC COLLECTIVE PRESENTS BOSTICH & FUSSIBLE (MX)
ORIGINAL HAMSTER (CL)
THOMAS FEHLMANN (DE)
tobias. (DE)
TRUS'ME (UK)
ZOMBIE ZOMBIE (FR)

I think I will be going for Appleblim, if he plays a weekend set...

kaniz

TRIBE Member
Just came here to post that. Appleblim is cool, also a big fan of Dandy Jack and it'd be great to see him again. They are also planning a Raster Noton show-case which could be interesting. I'd expect allot of black turtle necks and chin-stroking, but been listening to a few of their releases allot the past while.

Hrmmm, now to see what DEMF has planned and to make my choice.

JK

TRIBE Promoter
Why isn't Guillaume & The Coutu Dumonts on the main line-up??

REALLY want to catch him live (and I'm booked April 9th)

gsnuff

TRIBE Promoter
Just came here to post that. Appleblim is cool, also a big fan of Dandy Jack and it'd be great to see him again. They are also planning a Raster Noton show-case which could be interesting. I'd expect allot of black turtle necks and chin-stroking, but been listening to a few of their releases allot the past while.
Meh. Olaf Bender makes better "dance music" than 90% of the stuff discussed in the techno room. That said, there will be turtlenecks.

Raster-Noton have been on fire for the last two years or so, their Drake shows have always been pretty solid and they've been doing some collaboration with Derivative on the "integrated AV performance" front this year. [blogged here] - I hope they showcase this work at Mutek.

I'm looking forward to the festival this year, last year was a breath of fresh air.

kaniz

TRIBE Member
I like the stuff, and a few raster noton releases have been making the rounds on my play list lately. Sleeparchive was one of my fave events from last year, but the crowd-vibe can be lacking at times as its not your standard dance-music fare.

Was flipping through some of the videos of Byetone on you-tube and its some pretty solid stuff.

SubMissioN

TRIBE Member
why the need to tell us the colour of the cops....?
:confused:

were you afraid of the black cops? (cue another KRS One song..)

anywho....

here's the pre-lineup:

ADAM MARSHALL (CA)
AKUFEN (CA)
ALVA NOTO (DE)
APPLEBLIM (UK)
ARTIFICIEL (CA)
ATOM TM (DE)
BEAT PHARMACY (US)
BYETONE (DE)
CARL CRAIG (US)
CYCLO [CARSTEN NICOLAI + RYOJI IKEDA] (DE/JP)
dOP (FR)
ERNESTO FERREYRA (CL)
GAS (DE)
GHISLAIN POIRIER (CA)
HERMAN KOLGEN (CA)
JAHCOOZI (DE)
JAKI LIEBEZEIT & BURNT FRIEDMAN (DE)
MATHEW JONSON VS DANDY JACK (CA/CL)
MIKE SHANNON (CA)
MODERN DEEP LEFT QUARTET (CA)
MODESELEKTOR + APPARAT = MODERAT (DE)
NEGO MOÇAMBIQUE (BR)
NORTEC COLLECTIVE PRESENTS BOSTICH & FUSSIBLE (MX)
ORIGINAL HAMSTER (CL)
THOMAS FEHLMANN (DE)
tobias. (DE)
TRUS'ME (UK)
ZOMBIE ZOMBIE (FR)

I think I will be going for Appleblim, if he plays a weekend set...
Oh i just remember the first time i went to DEMF and i noticed that. It didn't bother me i actually thought it was kind of cool. It just caught me off guard because at the time, it had been something i had never seen before being from Canada.

Destro Sanchez

TRIBE Member
Oh i just remember the first time i went to DEMF and i noticed that. It didn't bother me i actually thought it was kind of cool. It just caught me off guard because at the time, it had been something i had never seen before being from Canada.
just givin' you the gears..trollin'

agreed, the pigs up here are 97% white ;)

kaniz

TRIBE Member
Meh. Olaf Bender makes better "dance music" than 90% of the stuff discussed in the techno room. That said, there will be turtlenecks.

Raster-Noton have been on fire for the last two years or so, their Drake shows have always been pretty solid and they've been doing some collaboration with Derivative on the "integrated AV performance" front this year. [blogged here] - I hope they showcase this work at Mutek.

I'm looking forward to the festival this year, last year was a breath of fresh air.
Listening to a Byetone set right now and really enjoying it, Byetone Live in San Fran'08

Some solid beats.

also like this vid on youtube

Destro Sanchez

TRIBE Member
heard from a good source that Mala from DMZ will be playing LIVE.

sshhh

I love going to a festival where I don't hear the same DJs/live acts that come to toronto every other month...

and where I don't have to buy my own groceries and carry around a picnic in my jansport.

krosum

TRIBE Member
Yepper, just added...

DEADBEAT & PAUL ST HILAIRE (CA/DE)
MALA of DIGITAL MYSTIKZ (UK)
MARTIN TÉTREAULT & MICHEL LANGEVIN of VOIVOD (CA)
MATT THIBIDEAU (CA)
NSI. (DE)
RICARDO VILLALOBOS & ZIP (CL/DE) – 7-hour marathon DJ set!
ROBERT HENKE & CHRISTOPHER BAUDER present ATOM
SND (UK)
STEPHEN BEAUPRÉ (CA)
THE MOLE (CA)
TURZI (FR)

Ricardo and Zip for 7 hrs in that park will be sweet for sure. Followed by Akufen live that night. :O

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
oh wow, 7 hour villalobos would be awesome. too bad i'll be in Europe. ah well, DEMF'll be awesome ('specially Loco Dice vs. Luciano!)

krosum

TRIBE Member
I like how everyone is ignoring Thomas who will be playing with Villalobos - its not just a 'lobos set. Zip is the bomb - he can add a little darkness to the 'lobos fluff when needed.

These two together for 7 hrs in the park really did add to an already impressive line-up. I guess we really should wait till the final announcement.

The DEMF has a killer line up. But I'm keeping the money in Canada during the hard economic times.

krosum

TRIBE Member
^^^
Haha, I guess, but going to the DEMF without going to the after parties is like sex where your not allowed to finish.

So, a little number crunchin then because Mutek adds the after parties into the ticket price. My weekend pass includes the day and evening events.

In Detroit that would be $40 plus three after parties ($20-25) = about $100 american give er take, or the price of a weekend Mutek pass.

Hmmm. Have fun at DEMF.