1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

musician hearing clinic?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by why not, Oct 12, 2005.

1. why not

why not TRIBE Member

i've had to come to terms recently with the ringing in my ears, and thought it would be good to get it checked out before resigning myself to it.
    i seem to remember someone posting about a musician hearing clinic - anyone know anything about it?

wear earplugs people - i'm really not enjoying this, and it's likely permanent.

2. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

3. VinylRach

VinylRach TRIBE Promoter

no dude. i completely understand. I danced in front of speakers for four hours on sat...dude my ears are still ringing. And i'm TWENTY TWO.

4. Karim

Karim TRIBE Member

5. why not

why not TRIBE Member

no toronto dealer that i can see.

i'm going to find out if my work will pay for the fancy custom earplugs, since work related noise has undoubtably helped cause this condition.
    i don't mind the cheap foam ones, but they alter the frequency spectrum so much it's interfering with how i hear music.

6. Karim

Karim TRIBE Member

Some guy I know placed a large order and then sold them to me and friends at how much he played, split the shipping. Is ordering online too much of an issue?

7. kmac

kmac TRIBE Member

My cubicle neighbour is writing a magazine story on occupational hearing loss right now and is searching his messy desk for contact info on a musician hearing clinic. If he ever finds it, I will post the info.

8. echootje

echootje TRIBE Member

Ordering them one by one from Etymotic is going to run you about $40 CDN after exchange. Sucks, but its worth it.

There is a hearing testing secntre in North York general Hospital (Sheppard/Leslie) There may be others in the city but I'vehad mine tested and been warned by pproffessional's that tinnitus isn't too far away if I don't protect my hearing NOW.

Etymotic provides a cool little keychain case to carry your plugs with you.

Rob

9. kmac

kmac TRIBE Member

10. why not

why not TRIBE Member

Re: Re: musician hearing clinic?

thank you, i really want a professional opinion about this, and some advice about how to continue my life without making it any worse.

i've been playing in bands for 13 years, been DJing for 9 years, and for the past 4 or 5 years have been going out to at least four parties a week for my 'day' job. considering that, i'm probably lucky that i'm only noticing damage now.

11. beaker

beaker TRIBE Member

that's the one i went to. marshall chasin is the audiologist there. he'll do a hearing test and can fit you for custom plugs in about 20 minutes.

12. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

do a yellowpages search for audiologists...

13. annec

annec TRIBE Member

Tribe rocks!