1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Musical artists on Facebook

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by diablo, Sep 8, 2010.

1. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

So Facebook recently had a bit of a revamp where, rather than your musical favourites simply being listed on your profile, each one must link to an actual page (usually maintained by the artist themselves). Unnecessary and not always done correctly, but whatever...useless updates are the bread and butter of technology providers.

A downside of this that I hadn't really picked up on until today is that the artists' status updates now pop up in your feed, and they're usually as brain-dead (if not moreso) than the average high school friend that you lost contact with.

Worst offender thus far: Common. Just today, I've been treated to:

Common Just saw my girl Angelina Jolie helping out in Pakistan. Do for others because you can! We all can help out in the world.
    734 people like this.

Common ‎"feeling satisfaction from the street crowd reaction"
    477 people like this.

Common I just landed in NY. Damn, I missed it! Headed for Brooklyn. I can feel the city breathing!
    725 people like this.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

PS: in before "IF U DON LIEK IT THEN DONT USE FB IMO"

2. derek

derek TRIBE Member

common is one of the artists i love and hate. stick to rhyming and leave the other crap alone.

hawtin likes to geography-name drop a lot too. okay, i get it you travel the world and dj/perform.

laurent garnier and gilles peterson on the otherhand are judicious with the updates, and i usually end up reading them.

that said, though, i just filter out what i don't want to read.

3. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

Sounds like someone linked Twitter with Facebook.

4. erika

erika TRIBE Member

That really pissed me off when fb did that, so I only have a limited number of things that I like: sometimes I want to put an author, sometimes a particular book; ditto for films - don't tell me how I can and can't express my tastes dammit!

5. Polymorph

Polymorph TRIBE Member

I hate facebook.
    Facebook destroyed the internet

6. agroberts

agroberts New Member

I bet you'll be first in line to see "The Social Network", eh? :p

7. Isosceles_CAT

Isosceles_CAT TRIBE Promoter

You do realize it takes about two clicks to hide updates from a particular person/group/app, right?

8. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

More fun to complain.

Plus, this forum needs as many new topics as it can get.